[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning German
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
I've decided to try to learn German over summer. Not for any functional purpose, but because I want to understand Wagner's libretti. It would also be nice if I could read some Goethe/Schiller/Novalis/Holderlin/Rilke in the original German.

Are there any resources specifically aimed at people who want to learn German for its cultural side? Also how much is achievable in about 3 months with a decent amount of work?
>>
File: miffy.gif (14 KB, 280x299) Image search: [Google]
miffy.gif
14 KB, 280x299
>using a Seuss cartoon for a Nietszche quote
>not using Miffy
I made this image in 2010 and I hope at least you, /lit/, get it because fucking nobody else ever has except this one Dutch girl.
>>
>>7853389
Good luck, it's been a year and a half for me and I still have the command of the language of a 5 year old kid.
>>
You will not be able to read Goethe after 3 month of learning german, or the little prince. You'll need 3 years and a lot of work
>>
Pirate on lib gen:
>sandberg reading for german

Do entire book intensively

Start reading easy texts, and research a few more intensive courses (textbooks etc.) and go through them to fill any gaps and reinforce your knowledge as well. Maybe FSA.

Learn speaking later. Don't waste your time on Memrise/Duolingo/RosettaStone garbage. Go directly to hardcore books and finish them cover to cover, then start reading really easy texts. Do this for as many hours a day as you want, as a daily activity. Eventually you'll get better. Don't worry about finding a perfect method - doing two textbooks in a month is better than waiting 6 months to find the perfect textbook.

When people talk of "how long it takes" to learn a language it's almost meaningless because of how variable it is. The vast majority of people are basically not learning at all, but learning bits and pieces of vernacular. Learn it properly and intensively and you can read it soon.
>>
>>7853389
>deutsch lernen
Basierend.

>die Quellen
Fahr nach Deutschland, und lern dort.
>>
>tfw German
>tfw I can read all this stuff without any effort
>tfw gf is being raped by Jamal
;_;
>>
>>7853458
Beta uprising when?
>>
>>7853450
This. You can get there quickly if you know what to do. Decide right now to devote minimum one hour to German a day. Buy a book for grammar, get a dictionary, and your target text(s). You can immediately start pulling vocab out of your text while working through the grammar book.

Write summaries every day, as these help lock in vocab and new grammar.

If it takes you 3 years of intensive study to do almost anything you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>7853394
>knee chuh
>>
>>7853450
mein gott, thank you
>>
German is one of those languages that, for the most part is spoken very much like English (provided your English is perfectly grammatical.) In this case I'd focus on vocab and learning the important grammar rules, especially punctuation.
>>
>>7853418
three years is a bit of a stretch

I was able to read Old Norse after one year, German is probably comparable in difficulty
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.