[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Man Without Qualities
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: TMWQ.jpg (19 KB, 229x346) Image search: [Google]
TMWQ.jpg
19 KB, 229x346
This book is amazing, i feel smarter for having read it and pay more attention to how other people read into the subtext of what im saying can anyone recommend me more books similar to it?
It reminds me a bit of the Brothers Karamazov.
Also is the 1700 page bumper edition worth it? I only read the 1100 page version and now im wondering about those extra chapters.
>>
>tfw you forgot /lit/ doesnt actually read
>>
The other pages are mostly posthumously found stuff, there's less structure and refinement.

There is no book like it. Have you read Radetzky March? The setting is similar.
>>
What did you like about it specifically OP?
>>
>>7853359
That book looks very interesting and i might get onto it, would you still recommend the later chapters or is there too great a loss of refinement?
>>7853361
Although i really liked a lot of the ideas and speeches the thing i really liked was the way in conversations they would often betray too much of their own personal feelings or would steer the conversation in a direction more in line with their interests, made me think more subtly about what I was saying and how it would come across.
>>
>>7853384
>>7853361
also i fuckin loved General Stumm i found him hilarious
>>
>>7853384
From your other posts it sounds like you should enjoy the "other" pages, more of the same, just a bit rougher around the edges.
>>
oh man, you aren't reading the newer edition, are you? bro that translation is seriously bad. scour amazon for the older translation published by picador.
>>
>>7853433
this one is published by Picador
>>
The two tomes have been sitting in my self for over a year.

Is it really as good as everybody says it is? Or is it one of those books everyone has said he read it, yet everybody stops half-way?
>>
>>7853238
there's no book like that. The man without qualities is a result of 40 years of work of one of the most intelligent writers that ever lived; I doubt we'll see anything on that scale in quite some time
>>
>>7853459

i have OP pic and it's published by Vintage. regardless, the newest translation is unforgivably awful
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7853675
>>
>>7853744
why do you need a 3264x2448 resolution picture for a fucking book
>>
>>7853770
idk its jus what my phone did i dont check these thigngs
>>
>>7853238
You could read more Musil I suppose. Although I don't recognize much of what you've said you liked in Törless. According to Musil he imagines Törless grew up to be the man without qualities though
>>
I remember reading this but i found it very dry and couldnt get through much of it, its 3 stories combined correct? Could you rec me anything similar thats a little "easier" just the length alone was very spooky for me.
>>
>>7853841
hmm interesting ill definitely be checking out the other Musil book at some point was just hoping to try something similar by a different author as a stylistic change.
>>7853843
Nope its one big fat story. As another anon said im not really sure theres much similar to it so im at a loss as to what to recommend as an easier book to prepare for it so I'd say just go for it again im certainly not getting 100% of the ideas but its still a great read.
>>
>>7853744

>Sophie Wilkins

yeah, that bitch. god it's depressing that Musil is hardly read, but now the most popular edition of his work completely fucks his shit up
>>
>>7854214
What is wrong with it?
>>
>>7853238
Kundera is definitely in the same vein and tradition. Read his longer works (life is elsewhere, the joke, laughter and forgetting, immortality)
>>
I had someone told me this is the greatest book ever written.

I was interested until I saw just how fucking massive it is. Should I take the plunge into it?
>>
>>7854699
If you've read some books with long speeches and characters giving detailed expositions of ideas before then go for it you won't regret it.
If you're coming straight from Orwell or Harry Potter maybe wait a year or so.
>>
>>7854870
Not that guy but interested too

I'm coming from Dostojevski and highschool philosophy, should I do it?
>>
>>7853238
Hermann Broch's The Sleepwalkers
>>
>>7855103

I don't understand why people sometimes spell Russian names with Js

The transliteration doesn't work that way
>>
File: manwithoutqualities.jpg (35 KB, 344x499) Image search: [Google]
manwithoutqualities.jpg
35 KB, 344x499
>>7854870

I have the capacity for long speeches about ideas, but I am admitting that I am hesitant about long books. They have to be REALLY good for me to read through them.

So I shouldn't get the newer edition though? I am guessing these are the editions with the good translations?
>>
>>7855149
French and German transliterate Russian differently from English
>>
File: 1454045707261.png (454 KB, 620x414) Image search: [Google]
1454045707261.png
454 KB, 620x414
>>7855149
How is it written in english?
I know that in russian they add the j into the end of Dostojevskij

>>7855164
And finnish!
>>
>>7854214
Which one would you suggest instead??
>>
>>7855149
>I don't understand why people sometimes spell Russian names with Js
You think that every language pronounces all letters the same way you retard? Transliteration changes according to language.
>>
>>7855153
>>7856431
Willa and Edwin Miur:
>"You people are in such a hurry. There always has to be a goal, an ideal, a programme there for you - something absolute. And what comes of it in the end is only a compromise after all, an average."

New Bitch:
"You and your friends - always jumping the gun. There's always got to be a supreme goal, an ideal, a programe - an absolute. Yet in the end, all that ever comes of it a compromise, some common denominator."

The difference is subtle, but the old one is more precise with the new one being more 'flat'. It's still worth reading but if youre gonna invest in a huge ass book you might as well go for the preferred translation.
>>
>>7856453
Do you have the original German line for comparison?
>>
>>7856460
No sorry, i just ripped that example from an Amazon review.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.