[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
it's been 300 years and no one has proven this man wrong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: Hume.jpg (49 KB, 400x488) Image search: [Google]
Hume.jpg
49 KB, 400x488
it's been 300 years and no one has proven this man wrong

greatest philosopher to ever live?
>>
IMMANUEL KANT THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN
>>
I would say that Nietzsche is the greatest philosophy, if only he had lived long enough to build something to replace all that he tore down
>>
>>7853145
>it's been 300 years
You can't contract "It has" to "it's" you fuck.
>>
>>7853150
>Wake me up inside
>(KANT WAKE UP)
And Hume actually did it so big up but he's not #1
>>
>>7853155
Yes you can, moron
>>
File: 1455167617331.jpg (11 KB, 250x333) Image search: [Google]
1455167617331.jpg
11 KB, 250x333
>>7853155
Fact: you actually can.
Opinion: your grammar is shit...?
>>
>>7853153
It's almost like there isn't a whole branch of ethics that does exactly that.
>>
>>7853207
what do you call this kind of smug speech pattern? that distinctly reddit smell.

the
>it's almost like
>you do realise
>"I pretend to agree with a mischaracterisation of your opinion and mock it by being ironic"

pseud snark?
>>
>>7853221
>Being upset at smugness on 4chan
>Accuses them of being from reddit
>>
>>7853227
I don't think I wrote anything that says "I am upset".

I also didn't accuse anyone of being from reddit.
is reading comprehension hard for you? because this is a literature board.
>>
>>7853207
Actually, it's exactly like that
>>
>>7853230
>I also didn't accuse anyone of being from reddit.
>that distinctly reddit smell.

You can't even read your own posts mang
>>
>>7853245
>Who are the Greeks?
>Who is Anscombe?
>What is virtue ethics?
>>
>>7853247
>that distinctly reddit smell = accusation of being a redditor
>>
>>7853249
All torn down by Nietzsche
>>
>>7853310
Nietzsche (and every single person until the 20th century) misunderstood the Greeks when it came to ethics. Anscombe didn't write until after Nietzsche died and modern virtue ethics only came about after that. MacIntye wrecks Nietzsche so hard in the course of a single chapter. Literally no one takes Nietzsche seriously in terms of ethics anymore.
>>
>>7853333
Virtue ethics is fucking trash
Consequentialism is where it's at
>>
>>7853373
>Thinks Nietzsche tore apart enlightenment ethics
>Is a consequentialist
You cannot believe both.
>>
>>7853145
I am hot for his periodic sentences.
>>
>>7853373
Nietzsche wasn't a consequentialist you moron. He despised it and it would be obvious to see why if you simply read him.
>>7853310
No he didn't, he said we have still to overcome the Greeks and although borrowing a lot from them that's what he sets himself to do.
>>7853333
Explain yourself, literally in what way?
>>
>>7854817
>Implying I can't enjoy Nietzsche and simultaneously follow my own ethics
The Ubermensch would not bow down and blindly follow the thinking of somebody else
>>
File: 1451076154642.png (35 KB, 244x295) Image search: [Google]
1451076154642.png
35 KB, 244x295
>>7853145
>>7853153
The Middle Way is always the best Way.
>>
>>7853333
>>Nietzsche (and every single person until the 20th century) misunderstood the Greeks when it came to ethics.
oh yeah, then what is the contemporary analysis of the greeks and ethics ?
>>
>>7855650
this is an extremely amusing image
>>
>>7853172
in speech you can, but in text it would end up being ith's, because the apostrophe can only take the place of a vowel.
>>
>>7853145
Of course he is, he's Scottish and he made Hume's fork so I can just tell everyone their opinions are sophistry and illusion.
>>
>>7855792
Varied, nuanced, and immune to grand sweeping statements. It would take dozens of books to even give a cursory overview to sketch in the beginning of the answer to that question. There are scholars today whose entire career amounts to the attempted understanding of particular Greek words. I cannot give the kind of answer you want in a post on 4chan.

The only thing that can really be said is that the enlightenment approach to ethics is so alien to virtue ethics, and lasted for so long people literally forgot how to think in a way that allows for virtue ethics to exist.

To see why Nietzsche misunderstood the Greeks all one has to do is read his aphorism on the stoics. It's an understandable interpretation considering the impoverished understanding of the Greeks at the time but anyone who has read a single good, modern book on the stoics will see how his understanding of them is fundamentally wrong.
>>
>>7855073
Thanks friend, it's disappointing lack of belief or allegiance is such a barrier to admiration for thoughts and effort or even enjoyment of delivery.
>>
File: heidegger-crop.jpg (356 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
heidegger-crop.jpg
356 KB, 1024x768
>>7856133
>greatest philosopher to ever live
>>
>>7855819
bad bait
>>
>>7853145
Read the Critique of Pure Reason anon. :)
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.