[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else here force themselves to read books they find
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: Silenthill2_large.jpg (921 KB, 1703x1080) Image search: [Google]
Silenthill2_large.jpg
921 KB, 1703x1080
Does anyone else here force themselves to read books they find tedious because they 'should' or because the books 'must be' good and if you don't like them you're just not trying hard enough?
>>
Did this hit too close to home?
>>
yes doing that with blood meridian right now
>>
>>7851810
>another yecarthy propaganda victim

RIP friend you got memed. corncobs-man is literally stephen king tier.
>>
doing that right now with the hunger games part 2, utterly incomprensible but i will continue 4 lit haha@!
>>
>>7851839
>"That's it. It's over," Katniss said. "I have finally become The Mockingjay Part 2, Book 3 of the Hunger Games."

COLLINS YOU HACK
>>
>>7851831
yes I did get meme'd on corncob tortillas YeCarthy. that's okay though. I am young. lots of time to read.

although bloodmeme isn't the worst of the memes you guys baited me into. infinite jest was actually good. buttttt Ulysses. man fuck you guys so hard for that meme. what utter trash. I got nothing out of it. might as well be a typical genre fiction book. no higher meaning. didn't teach me anything. just pretty words. fuck you guys for that.

I'm scared to read gravity's rainbow after Ulysses.
>>
>>7851810
That book is brilliant man. I know I should have found it tedious but his prose flows so well. Fuck all the tortillas memesters
>>
>>7851951
this is...a really strange reading of Ulysses. "learning stuff" seems like a bad metric of how to enjoy a book but you can learn a ton from Ulysses, about Irish history, Shakespeare, the Catholic church, love, marriage...

I like Gravity's Rainbow better personally, but if you're already comparing Ulysses to genre fiction something tells me you might hate GR even more.
>>
>>7851951
>thinks IJ is good
>thinsk ulysses is bad

you knwo what website to go back to faggot
>>
I'm having the opposite problem? I'm reading Kant's CPR and enjoying it. Everyone in my class hates it, one of my friends dropped the class because of it, and I look forward to my mornings with CPR and a cup of coffee.
>>
>>7851467
Yes.
I never really suffer them, but I can't stop thinking "I could be reading something better instead"
Currently dealing with this while reading Don Quixote.
>>
>>7852013
>le patrician meme
>le reddit meme
>>
File: beckett_grin.jpg (19 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
beckett_grin.jpg
19 KB, 460x276
>>7851951

He's right.

>buttttt Ulysses. man fuck you guys so hard for that meme. what utter trash. I got nothing out of it.

>I got nothing out of it.

If you didn't get anything out of a book as sprawling and masterful as 'Ulysses' then you're probably not the brightest bulb around.
>>
Nope, I'm physically unable to do that. I usually just put them in the "I'll get back to it when I finish the stuff I actually like" category, but I know in my mind that I'll probably never actually finish them
>>
>>7852082
I get this even with good books. I'm constantly struck by the reality that there's far more books I'm interested in reading than I will ever have time for, so every moment spent reading is a moment wondering "but what if I'm missing out". Shit sucks.
>>
>>7852236
read more bro. I work full time and gym a few days a week. I still read about one book a week.
>>
>>7851467
Don't you ever read just to get information of a book?
>>
>>7852134
This.

What the fuck is everyone else on about?

>>7851467
I do completely the opposite. If I'm reading a book that 'must be' good and I don't like it, I have to put it down.

I don't want to ruin what should be an enjoyable experience by forcing it. I'll read some other stuff by the author or by similar authors and then if I like those, I'll come back to the one I stopped reading.

The internet can help a lot in picking out a good book to easy you into an author's writing.

It was never failed me.
>>
>>7851467
Even if I don't enjoy the book I'll give it a fair try. By that I mean I will read at the very minimum one third of the book, if by then I'm still not into it I'll drop it.
There is no point in forcing yourself to read what you don't like, you'll just come to hate literature.
>>
>>7851467
>>7852082

You people are fucking pathetic.
>I'm going to keep reading this shit book I hate because it is what scholars read
Fucking die.
>>
It happens all the time with popular stuff.

I feel guilty for hating the new Star Wars or Game of Thrones but I have no problems reading "must-read books".
>>
>>7851951
>likes IJ
>Doesn't like Ulysses
letrashman.png
>>
>>7852090
>le reddit meme
Nice try reddit
>>
i do pee pee fro m my willy :)
>>
>>7852134
I do this every time I start reading Dosto
>>
>>7852978
>I feel guilty for hating the new Star Wars or Game of Thrones
Are you TRYING to be a turbopleb
>>
>>7853775
nice try 4chin
but I'm from newgrounds forum
>>
>>7852973
>I'm going to immediately put down books that may be tedious or hard for me to read because I'm an anti-intellectual plebeian who doesn't understand the first thing learning or delaying gratification. Reading should just be FUN!

t. /r/books
>>
Your aesthetic taste for prose and the ability to register the complexity of a story is evolutionary; don't expect to understand why Ulysses is good if you've only read the Harry Potter books.

>the books 'must be' good and if you don't like them you're just not trying hard enough
This probably applies to most beginner cases. Otherwise, if you're well-read, there shouldn't really be any problem for you to justify your critique of some work. If the critique is not elaborate, starts and ends with "I disliked x", and only "I disliked x", without an accompanying "...and here's why..." then you're probably not as well-read as you think you are.
>>
I sometimes get this feeling, but its always gone by the time I finish the book, and I'm always glad I slogged through the dull parts.
But once the book is over, if it's shit, its popularity won't make it un-shit. Looking at you, Animal Farm.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.