[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Playwrights get in here. Post an excerpt from the play you're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: the_modernity_of_shakespeare.jpg (49 KB, 400x514) Image search: [Google]
the_modernity_of_shakespeare.jpg
49 KB, 400x514
Playwrights get in here. Post an excerpt from the play you're currently writing and be judged harshly.
>>
Here's mine btw:

"How comforting must kindling warmeth fare
to those who kiss goodnight a merry face
yet I must spend this night in grieve alone.
As he who gave a whole life's joy away
is dwelling 'mongst the angels' deathbound light.
A many moons must past 'fore we rejoice.
Ah, you crystal sky! Can you not mend my longing?
Can clouds not siege the pearly gates
and free those who dwell there from their blissful sleep?"
>>
>>7850678

If you decide to go for poetry pay attention to metaphors and to imagery. It is not worth your time writing poetry if it is not filled with imagistic. Verse plays are a hard medium, and you will need to study a lot to learn how to balance a colorfull imagery with everyday speech that makes the action walk foward. It is one of the noblest and hardest mediuns in literature, and it is also currently greatly underrated, so only choose to go for it if you have a strong stomach and pateicne to learn. Read all the great technical books about Shakespeare that you can find (about imagery, versification, rethoric, figures of speech, language, dialogue, etc).

Here is my own work, can I get some critic:

I have never seen in my entire life
The nocturne hour entomb life
In such a complete way with its silence.
The darkness was so dense, so
Thick the grimy blanket of the shadows,
That it even seemed like some God, drunk,
Had knocked down, when he stumbled,
The bucked of nankin in which the night
Wets the brush that invokes the evening hours,
With the black ink of an entire month gorging
A single twilight; or maybe some
Ambassador of the skies, some minister
Of the clouds has spilled the cup
Of coffee that he was sipping above
The atmosphere, frightening the timid world
Of us mortals, that do not comprehend anything
Of the clergy and the politics of the heavens,
Of the gears and wheels that operate the universe.

(original is in Portuguese)
>>
>>7850662
How different would you guys say playwriting and screenwriting are?
>>
>>7850731
>If you decide to go for poetry
I've actually been writing poetry for a pretty long time, so this isn't really that new for me. Still, thanks for the advice.
>>
>>7850742
Depends. If you're going to write verse plays, that's an entirely different discipline. If you're writing in a prose style, writing plays probably won't be that different from screenwriting.
>>
>>7850731
I'm guessing that the meter got lost in translation. Nice imagery, you should vary the beginnings of your verses a bit more though. Also, try to include some kind of progession, language-wise. The way you write is nice but since this kind of colourful language is maintained throught the poem, it does get kind of exhausting to read after a while.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.