[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
And but so, some retard tried to eat Infinite Jest. https:/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: 1456523072682.jpg (132 KB, 349x500) Image search: [Google]
1456523072682.jpg
132 KB, 349x500
And but so, some retard tried to eat Infinite Jest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3xH2Kpk00k

Is there something terribly sad and banal about this?
>>
why do people mock wallace and his work like this? is it because his refusal to debase himself with irony is unacceptable and incomprehensible to those who are incapable of honesty?
>>
File: 1458768111085.png (770 KB, 480x690) Image search: [Google]
1458768111085.png
770 KB, 480x690
>eating a book by a dead white man

WHY NOT EAT A BLACK WOMAN'S BOOK
>>
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>>
>>7847851
>>>/pol/
>>
>>7847844
his whole new sincerity schtick is ultimately ironic
>>
>>7847840
He should be careful. He may end up with infini-gestion
>>
>>7847950
not bad
>>
>>7847932
it's not New Sincerity, though. It's Metamodern literature that broke away from Postmodern irony.

From Wikipedia:

The 2013 issue of the American Book Review was dedicated to metamodernism and included a series of essay identifying authors such as Roberto BolaƱo, Dave Eggers, Jonathan Franzen, Haruki Murakami, Zadie Smith, and David Foster Wallace as metamodernists.[15][16] In a 2014 article in PMLA, literary scholars David James and Urmila Seshagiri argued that "metamodernist writing incorporates and adapts, reactivates and complicates the aesthetic prerogatives of an earlier cultural moment", in discussing twenty-first century writers such as Tom McCarthy.[17]
>>
>>7847840
HOLY FUCKING SHIT

At first I thought that my webcam was turned on. then i realised that i was not wearing my red sweater today.
I was legit freaking out for a whole minute, because this guy looks EXACTLY like me.
I am not kidding.
We have the same "haircut", similar glasses, the same fucking hoodie and even our faces have the same basic structure.
This feels like looking into a mirror.
at first in wondered if I had taken acid or something and had a blackout and somehow recorded this video a while ago without remembering or some stupid shit like that.
I actually checked my copy of infinite jest to see if the first few pages where missing

I did not expect to find my doppelganger at 03:00 on /lit, but thats how life goes, I guess.
>>
>>7848365
Pics or it didn't happen
>>
>>7848378
i have no recent pictures of me and i do not own a smartphone.

I will, as soon as I can, make a picture of myself, so i can send it to this weirdo and we can celebrate, because we have found our long lost twin after all these years.

what a fucking day.
>>
>>7847840
whoever shopped that picture ruined it
>>
>>7847840
I look exactly like this guy. Im completely serious
>>
DFW literally only says "and but so" twice in the entire book, I don't get why that's a meme.
>>
>>7848437
It only has to happen once to get attention.
>>
>>7848437
He uses it in his other books/stories too.
>>
>>7847844
There's actually an enormous amount of irony in DFW's work.
>>
>>7848689
The people who talk about "new sincerity" like it's their religion and "irony" like it's the devil are mouth breathing retards who have no idea what either of those things are.
>>
>>7848816
have you actually came across one of those people?
>>
>>7848830
On this board and other places online, yes. IRL? No.
>>
>>7847844
I think it's partly insecurity. Wallace had a relationship with language and imagination that very few people ever experience, and some of that showed through in his best work. You don't have to be on Wallace's level to be a good writer or sharp reader, but I think people feel threatened and start in with the "he's so pretentious why would anyone be playful with language and have real opinions and be a fucking white male, right guys?"
>>
>>7848437
No. "And but so" shows up nine times. If you count all the variations thereof, including "and but," "and so but," "but so," "but and so," "and then but so," "but and," "so but," "so but and," and but so "but and so and but so," not to mention that one "so but so," you're at easily over a hundred.
>>
>>7847840
Infinite Digest
>>
>>7848437
I still don't even understand what "and but so" is supposed to mean.
>>
this guy is playing the galaxy quest theme, just watched the movie
>>
>>7848947
I've read two of his books and a couple of short story collections. If anything, I pity him because his desperation shows through in his work and he had a lot of backwards ideas about writing.

He was an interesting writer, but a deeply flawed one.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.