[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I a simpleton is his work blows my mind?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 231x346) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 231x346
Thoughts/lit/
>>
>>7845096
reddit general?
>>
File: neil.jpg (1 MB, 2162x2162) Image search: [Google]
neil.jpg
1 MB, 2162x2162
What in it blew your mind? I finally got around to smoking some weed and watching the Neil deGrasse Tyson version of Cosmos and I am still staring at my hands in wonder. Did you know that the atoms in your right hand probably came from a different star than the atoms in your left hand? Let that sink in for a minute. We are stardust.
>>
>>7845096
What about it was mind blowing?

I liked it, but nothing there was nothing really mind blowing and nothing particularly incredible about it.
>>
>>7845108
That's awesome dude.
>>
>>7845108
DUDE
>>
>>7845096
The problem with humans is that we tend to see concepts, ideas etc. through a very biographical lens - in the case of hawking i'm sure i heard somewhere that the impact he had on actual science is less than what the public thinks, but his ideas are so intertwined with anecdotal elements in his personal life that it's hard to make sense of it. It's always framed as the triumph of the human spirit or other such memes.
>>
>>7845108
:OOOOOOOO
>>
>>7845211
I don't really agree with you anon. He contributed much more to his field than all of his peers combined.
>>
Stephen Hawkin is literally the smartest man alibe. I know because they said so on tv
>>
>>7846857
>He contributed much more to his field than all of his peers combined.
Are you memeing?
That seems a little (!) hyperbolical. But fine, i don't know enough about cosmic space or whatever it's called nowadays to argue with you.
>>
>>7845211
Stick to your humanities dear poster
>>
>>7847567
What exactly in my post do you disagree with, chum? Are you implying that people's opinion of Hawking is not dominated by the general narrative surrounding his illness?
>>
>>7846910
maybe 10 years ago but hey, I can't think of anyone smarter
>>
>>7845108

DUDE WEED

I was reading the elegant universe a few days ago and I recently found out that the moon is actually only about 60km away and it glows because light from from the sun bounces off the Earth and reflects it toward the moon thus creating an optical illusion.
>>
>Stephen Hawking

I tip my fedora to you good sir
>>
>>7845211
Probably you should just involve yourself in his body of work instead of sprouting nonsense.
>>
>>7845096
Did you even read anything by Newton? His work is more substantial than Hawkins by lightyears.
>>
>>7847655
>nonsense
Sigh. My post can be accused of being many things: uninspired, pedantic maybe, but nonsense? And the correct expression is "spouting nonsense", not "sprouting".
>>
>>7847676
Newtons work is literally babby tier to anyone who went through high school. If it blew your mind you either read his work at the age of 14 or you're simply retarded.
>>
>>7847708
Ok the acquisition that you heard someone say something and he said it is not nonsense.
You could say the same thing about Einstein or any public figure in any field.
>>
>>7847708
Muh correct factual statements!

Sprouting makes perfect sense
>>
>>7847712
I heard Amerifats dont even learn calculus until after high school. Talk about failures
>>
File: 1452387630118.jpg (12 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1452387630118.jpg
12 KB, 251x242
>>7847627
>I recently found out that the moon is actually only about 60km away and it glows because light from from the sun bounces off the Earth and reflects it toward the moon thus creating an optical illusion.
American education.
>>7845096
Yes.
>>
>>7847781
>falling for bait this obvious
>>
>>7847731
>You could say the same thing about Einstein or any public figure in any field.
True enough, but only when their personal life is particularly eventful or they fit with the eccentric genius meme. Call me a cynic, but scientists don't attain worldwide celebrity status that often, the lifestory helps.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.