[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been reading all my life but I think my favorite books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: the+call+of+the+wild[1].jpg (192 KB, 360x530) Image search: [Google]
the+call+of+the+wild[1].jpg
192 KB, 360x530
I've been reading all my life but I think my favorite books were some of my firsts, stories of adventure by Jack London or Jules Verne. 20,000 Leagues was responsible for my love of reading.
Are there more modern books with the same spirit? I read some of Cormac Mccarthy and it was okay but a little bleak, I hope for a little bit of pulpy excitement.
>>
I'll give you a great hint on life: nothing will compare to your memory of your firsts, and if you continue to compare everything to them, your life will suck. Learn to appreciate things for what they are and, sooner or later, you'll realize that what you have now is better than what you had back then.
>>
>>7844671

The closest thing you can get to pulp is going to be genre fiction.

But, if you want adventure, give McCarthy another try, or read Moby-Dick. Hesse and Conrad might also be good options.
>>
>>7844804
It isn't a nostalgia thing, I just miss old timey stories of daring. Most of it today is genre fiction like fantasy and that's been a disappointment for me.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.