[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there anyone else that prefers Proust over than Joyce? I personally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: proust_joyce.jpg (33 KB, 656x402) Image search: [Google]
proust_joyce.jpg
33 KB, 656x402
is there anyone else that prefers Proust over than Joyce?
I personally think that La recherche is the best book wrote in the 20th century
>>
Yeh, you woude
>>
gay vs straight
>>
>>7841146
>gay
>Joyce

Have you even read his personal letters?
>>
>>7841148
proust is gay joyce is straight
>>
i only read joyces short shit, not the big U, but based on that Proust is hell of a lot better no question
>>
Virginia Woolf's thoughts on the matter:

About Joyce:

"I . . . have been amused, stimulated, charmed interested by the first 2 or 3 chapters--to the end of the Cemetery scene; & then puzzled, bored, irritated, & disillusioned as by a queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples. And Tom, great Tom, thinks this on a par with War & Peace! An illiterate, underbred book it seems to me: the book of a self-taught working man, & we all know how distressing they are, how egotistic, insistent, raw, striking, & ultimately nauseating. When one can have cooked flesh, why have the raw? But I think if you are anaemic, as Tom is, there is glory in blood. Being fairly normal myself I am soon ready for the classics again. I may revise this later. I do not compromise my critical sagacity. I plant a stick in the ground to mark page 200."

"I finished Ulysses, & think it is a mis-fire. Genius it has I think; but of the inferior water. The book is diffuse. It is brackish. It is pretentious. It is underbred, not only in the obvious sense, but in the literary sense. A first rate writer, I mean, respects writing too much to be tricky; startling; doing stunts. I’m reminded all the time of some callow board [sic] schoolboy, say like Henry Lamb, full of wits & powers, but so self-conscious and egotistical that he loses his head, becomes extravagant, mannered, uproarious, ill at ease, makes kindly people feel sorry for him, & stern ones merely annoyed; & one hopes he’ll grow out of it; but as Joyce is 40 this scarcely seems likely. I have not read it carefully; & only once; & it is very obscure; so no doubt I have scamped the virtue of it more than is fair. I feel that myriads of tiny bullets pepper one & spatter one; but one does not get one deadly wound straight in the face--as from Tolstoy, for instance; but it is entirely absurd to compare him with Tolstoy."
>>
>>7841168
About Proust:

"My great adventure is really Proust. Well—what remains to be written after that? I’m only in the first volume, and there are, I suppose, faults to be found, but I am in a state of amazement; as if a miracle were being done before my eyes. How, at last, has someone solidified what has always escaped—and made it too into this beautiful and perfectly enduring substance? One has to put the book down and gasp. The pleasure becomes physical—like sun and wine and grapes and perfect serenity and intense vitality combined."

"Proust so titillates my own desire for expression that I can hardly set out the sentence. Oh if I could write like that! I cry. And at the moment such is the astonishing vibration and saturation and intensification that he procures—there’s something sexual in it—that I feel I can write like that, and seize my pen and then I can’t write like that. Scarcely anyone so stimulates the nerves of language in me: it becomes an obsession. But I must return to Swann."
>>
>>7841168
>>7841172
Did not read
>>
>>7841168
who is tom in this scenario
>>
>>7841168
>I feel that myriads of tiny bullets pepper one & spatter one; but one does not get one deadly wound straight in the face--as from Tolstoy, for instance

that cumshot subtext
>>
>>7841181
Eliot
>>
File: 1455589638082.jpg (4 MB, 1001x7000) Image search: [Google]
1455589638082.jpg
4 MB, 1001x7000
>>7841148
You are literally retarded and probably a cannibal
>>
>>7841197
am not, also I'm glad to have contributed my post ("bruh") to that thread
>>
>>7841207
I got three in
>>
>>7841213
gg
>>
>>7841218
You're still retarded for nothing knowing proust was gay
>>
>>7840996
I personally think that la recherche is the best book of all time, so there's my penny in the poll.
Joyce is great, but, subjectively at least, he is nowhere near Proust.
>>
>>7841177
hagay.jpg
>>
I do, but I wouldn't start an argument over who's better.
>>
>>7841168
Wow, for one of the better writers of the 20th century, Woolf was pretty dumb.
>>
>>7841734
>>7841734
>>7841734
this
>>
>>7841734
Yes, this.

I'm reading ISoLT right now with Karpeles' "Paintings in Proust" and Roger Shattuck's "Proust's Way" by my side and I'm finding it an an enormously more enjoyable experience than reading Ulysses with all the supplementary books.

That being said, I'm an enormous fan of Dubliners and I think Finnegans Wake as a singularly constructed work of art is just so outrageous and awesome that I can only really like Joyce for creating it, insane or not.
>>
File: Jon-snow-sad-gif.gif (795 KB, 460x258) Image search: [Google]
Jon-snow-sad-gif.gif
795 KB, 460x258
>>7841168

>tfw you realize you will never be such good friends with some of the greatest writers in history that you can call them by their first name in the press while critiquing the works of your other great peers that are alive and working at the same time...
>>
>>7843431
>Roger Shattuck's "Proust's Way" by
you wouldn't happen to have an epub of that you could share via pomf, would you?
>>
>>7843719
No, sorry.

It's an inexpensive book/ebook, and the chapter "Proust's Binocular's" is by far the most insightful part, so if you could find that somewhere you'd be in good shape.
>>
>>7841160
Ulysses and Finnegans Wake are Joyce at his best and most characteristic, so you haven't really read Joyce at all unless you've read them.
>>
>>7840996
Tumblr as opposed to /b/, desu fampai
>>
>>7843740
yeah, thanks, I'm about to rip it off of amazon... Will share in a minute!
>>
>>7843771
I also cannot emphasis enough how helpful "Paintings in Proust" has been, too.

Being a humble rube from the Midwest, I don't know much about painting. So when the Narrator constantly compares Odette to Botticelli’s Zipporah, I don't really have that image on hand for comparison.

With "Paintings in Proust" there's something really satisfying about seeing these comparisons for youself and going, "Oh, well I guess that's what Swann/Bloch/Odette, etc. look like..."

It's unlike anything I've ever read in that respect.
>>
>>7843799

yeah, the book looks awesome, but I cant drop $50 on a thing like that at the moment, and my local library doesn't have a copy.

Can you take a pic of Odette's painting? Or just the names of a few relevant paintings, and I'll google them.
>>
>>7843719
>>7843740

>Proust's Way_ A Field Guide to - Roger Shattuck.mobi
https://u.pomf.is/beetrg.mobi
>>
>>7841197
All that selfrighteousness and not a single Goya reference

sad
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.