[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When I read about Crane's biography, I couldn't believe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: hart-crane-448.jpg (48 KB, 448x293) Image search: [Google]
hart-crane-448.jpg
48 KB, 448x293
When I read about Crane's biography, I couldn't believe this moron. I feel bad for him. His degradation, his failures, and his suicide. I don't know how anyone can spin his life and personality in a positive light. He was honestly an idiot.
>>
he was a good ass poet, at least.

>...nor ever trust beyond it
>spry cordage of your bodies to caresses
>too lichen-faithful from to wide a breast.
>the bottom of the sea is cruel.

god damn the gays can write.

also, his last words were "goodbye, everybody!" which is fucking great, to say the least.
>>
>>7837685
he was a good poet since he was hyper-sexual, so his mind was pretty virile. being gay in that time period probably made him a little stir crazy, hence adding to the anxiety and passion to his writing.

he was gay, but then messed around with his friends ex-wife, then was confused even more about what the hell he was.

it was bad decision after bad decision.
>>
>>7837639
>one of the greatest poets in all of history
>an idiot
k
>>
>>7837719
i never said he was one of the greatest poets in all history.

and if that's YOUR conclusion on the man, I don't think you've read much of the genre.
>>
>>7837723
6/10 Almost wrote a serious reply
>>
>>7837719
He is a great (dead) poet

But he was still horrible at making life choices
>>
>>7837711

yeah, for sure his life sucked balls and he made only bad decisions, but i find it fascinating because of the contrast with his "poetic vision."

he had the stupidest and shittiest life, but despite it he tried to do the exact opposite (optimistic modernism) of what Eliot, who had a comfy bourgeois life, was doing (HORROR OF THE MODERN WORLD, FRAGMENTED HORROR!). i just love that. i love Eliot too, but i love Crane better.

anyway, i think someone as gifted poetically as Crane had of necessity to lack good sense in everything else
>>
>>7837639

People that do life well do not do poetry well, and vice-versa.
>>
>>7837749
what blew my mind was that his father was extremely wealthy. He went to New York on his own while his parents were having a tumultuous divorce. Fast forward, his last moments were trying to blow off some sailor, gets his ass kicked, then jumps off the boat. What a waste.
>>
>>7837759
well, i can name many ended up better than crane!
>>
>>7837766

probably the artistic failure of The Bridge had plenty to do with it as well. he knew he'd lost "it" and so he tossed himself over. seems reasonable to me, everything sucked for him except his poetry, and then that sucked too. sad, really
>>
Liking sodomy means you can write
>>
>>7837789
top kek
>>
I want to cuddle him over the ocean.
>>
>>7837685
What the fuck does 'lichen-faithful' even mean?
>>
>>7839103
p sure lichen is like, a symbiotic relationship?
>>
>>7839103
I'm not sure. What makes Crane one of the most difficult poets in existence is the fact that he uses words for their connotation, not their literal meaning; and, sometimes, this makes it almost impossible to decipher individual instances in his poems, and, instead, forces the reader to consider the poem as a whole.
>>
>>7837723
>I don't think you've read much of the genre
>>
>>7839103
It means faithful to lichens.
>>
>>7839112
lichen grows very tightly to rocks and trees: the idea is that it cleaves strongly to its base, is unable to move or leave.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.