[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a word for the phenomenon when a human believes in something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1368822009036.gif (999 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
1368822009036.gif
999 KB, 250x251
Is there a word for the phenomenon when a human believes in something so entirely that it becomes true?
Something like a placebo, only outside the medical context? Or is placebo the word I'm looking for?

Is there a word for when this happens on a cultural scale?
>>
Reification comes close.
>>
>>7836070
Meme magic

Lmao 4chan humor is so Great XD
>>
that is the meaning of belief
you would not believe in something that is not true
>>
Self-fulfilling prophecy.
>>
>>7836073

this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reification
>>
>>7836093
This.

Or serendipity or synchronicity comes close.

Like sometimes I find weed or money if I look for it, but only if I commit to it and believe it, and it's hard to focus like that unless I need it.
One time I found a bag of weed while walking down a very dark street, and it was wrapped in a black plastic bag. I kinda knew what it was but it was still pretty amazing.

There is some science behind it,
Look up the RAS (reticular activating system)
Not exactly a prophecy as such, or the law of attraction, etc but the closest science has come.
>>
>>7836082
But you would only assert something as true if you believed it to be so

Truth qua human cognition is entirely different from truth qua the objective world
>>
It's called living just in the imaginary realm.
>>
>>7836130
What does RAS have to do with it? Unless you're claiming that it can be developed to help you find weed in alleyways I don't understand the relevance.
>>
>>7836070
egregore for meme magic
>>
>>7836070
Orwell describes this as doublethink
>>
>Unless you're claiming that it can be developed to help you find weed in alleyways
lol
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.