[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Be greek >12 years in school we study the greeks >goes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: κατάλογος.jpg (9 KB, 182x277) Image search: [Google]
κατάλογος.jpg
9 KB, 182x277
>Be greek
>12 years in school we study the greeks
>goes in /lit/
>''Start with the greeks''
>PTSD
>>
Well, this statement obviously does not apply to you then, but only to the usual dilettantes that come to /lit/ asking about where to start.
>>
>>7835693

If anything you have a better start then most people
>>
why so many grecophiles in this subreddit?
>>
>>7835693

I know that feel compatriot.

I school I hated ancient greek classes, only in my mid-20's did I go back reading Homer, Plato, Plutarch, Thucydides after reading some philosophy and history.
>>
>>7835726

Because most of /lit/ sucks Alan Blooms dick and thinks the western canon is indubitable truth etched for all time.

Practically however it makes sense to start reading Ancient Greek literature/philosophy since it is the beginning of western civilization and has been continuously referenced 2400 years since it's existance.
>>
>>7835726
Because the American founding fathers were grecophiles.
>>
>>7835740
>Because most of /lit/ sucks Alan Blooms dick

uhh...anon...
>>
>>7835742
They were francophiles tho
>>
>>7835747
just franklin
>>
>>7835751
Jefferson was literally sent to France and enjoyed it.
>>
>>7835733
Final year of High school fun time where you had to learn to translate and make analysis of Plato's Protagoras, Republic AND Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics and Politics
>>
>>7835782
and Thucydides' Pericles' Funeral Oration. I forgot about that
>>
File: 1458491589499.png (89 KB, 826x801) Image search: [Google]
1458491589499.png
89 KB, 826x801
I hope that at least in Greece they study the pre-degenerate Greek works instead of just Plato and his magical fantasies.
>>
>>7835733
What do they actually force you to read in Greek high school?

American here, English class is less of an introduction to literature and more Shakespeare + and a plea of "please read; anything will do"
>>
File: 1381868593442.png (202 KB, 462x453) Image search: [Google]
1381868593442.png
202 KB, 462x453
>>7835810
>>
>>7835916
>force

He is GREEK.
>>
>>7835810
lol Socrates was the crème de la crème of sophists. So skilled was he that he still manages to fool people ~2000 years after his death!
>>
File: GERMANY, NOOOOOO.gif (2 MB, 384x216) Image search: [Google]
GERMANY, NOOOOOO.gif
2 MB, 384x216
>Be Greek
>12 years I sleep because it hot
>go in EU
>"pay denbts"
>PTSD
>>
>>7835983
That doesn't mean they necessarily read for pleasure.
>>
>>7835916
In Junior High:
Homer, Illiad and Odyssey
Herodotus, Histories
Euripides, Helen
Aristophanes, The Birds
Arrian, Anabasis of Alexander

In High school:
Xenophon, Hellenica and Agesilaus
Thucydides, History
Sophocles, Antigone and Pliloctetes
Lyric Poetry, Alcaeus, Pindar, Sappho etc.
Lysias, In Defense of Mantitheus
Demosthenes, On the Liberty of the Rhodians
Isocrates, On the Peace
Plato, Protagoras and Republic
Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics and Politics
Thucydides, Pericles' Funeral Oration

There was also Xenophon, Anabasis but not anymore

Also Introduction to Ancient Greek literature and a bunch of random texts from a lot of works. Mostly Thucydides, Xenophon and some Orators

These are only the texts in regard of Ancient Greek. Texts from History, Latin and Philosophy lessons are a different matter and on a smaller scale
>>
>>7836616
Is there no Greek literature that isn't 2000 years old?
>>
>>7836651
There is. That is a different class named New Greek Literature and has Greek significant works from Medieval times till now
>>
>>7836616
Wow; many classics majors wouldn't have read that much until probably their 4th year of university here haha

Modern Greek lit seems really underrated; I love based kazantzakis. are there any other authors you recommend?
>>
>>7836616
Damn, this sounds like good times. How hard is Homeric Greek for junior high school kids? Do you actually read the whole Iliad and Odyssey etc, or just extracts?
>>
>>7836885
i'm guessing they read select texts

at least that's what we did for dutch literature
also in latin class we only read several extracts
>>
>>7835693
Start again you lazy fuck.
>>
>>7836616
With such a glorious education how come Greece produces so many Marxist and Trostkite degenerates?
>>
Ancient Greek in school was completely mindless, so many years wasted on nonsense.
>>
File: 1453481016075.jpg (4 KB, 118x209) Image search: [Google]
1453481016075.jpg
4 KB, 118x209
>>7836616
reading that in school how aren't greeks master race instead of the poorest of all eurofags?
>>
>>7836984
The stuff you grow up being forced to read tends to be the stuff you hate the most.

Also did you really take anything away from what you read in high school, beyond maybe one or two pieces?
>>
>>7837001
Nobody actually reads all of it, mostly just fragments. And the focus isn't on the content, but on grammar and translation. The Greek school system is stuck in "memorization is everything" mode.
>>
>>7836011
this is factually true
>>
>>7836984
Que? Education and Marxism go together like strawberries and cream. The uneducated just go for the nearest demagogue, who's usually right-wing.
>>
>>7837009
>Also did you really take anything away from what you read in high school, beyond maybe one or two pieces?
Not him, but one of the assigned readings completely changed my life and got me into literature.
Probably helps that the teacher used to be a professor, but she wasn't that good of a teacher and had a pretty big ego desu
>>
Italian here.
Our classical study course in high school still teach us how to translate ancient greek and the literature program, which is slightly different than the mere translation one, is pretty much the same as >7836616, but done in 3 years or so. We mainly focus on original+translation texts, biography of authors and main classical genres.

Latin is studied in the same way with the same amount of time.

Uh, I forgot to tell you that our final exam consists in a straight 20-lines translation of greek or latin texts.
>>
>>7835742
We are ALL American
>>
>>7837088
Which Latin works did you cover then? I think to non-Europeans the amount of works you guys cover in languages as hard as greek and latin is unbelievable.
>>
>>7836984
>degenerates
A sure way of telling when a poster isn't meant to be replied to seriously.
>>
>>7837033
Because the Marxists won. You think if the Nazis won the universities wouldn't be filled with Nazis? Jesus christ.
>>
File: e13-644.jpg (92 KB, 580x404) Image search: [Google]
e13-644.jpg
92 KB, 580x404
>>7837033
Well said comrade!
>>
>be young me
>be learning latin in school
>teacher says, 'ha, some classes only teach you five cases, but we use the proper system of seven'
>fuccking wish I was in class with only five
>be older
>see high school/university courses for latin
>only FOUR cases
>ONE OF THEM IS THE VOCATIVE
>mfw my early school teachers were patres familias level trolls
>pure childlike barren rage
Thanks for reminding me, OP. Brb, making hate confetti from De Bello Gallico
>>
>>7837024
That's really sad, I'd love to see a school where the language and literature are taught in a way that does them justice.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.