[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only one who went into Moby-Dick expecting it to be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: LEVIATHAN.jpg (83 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
LEVIATHAN.jpg
83 KB, 500x500
Am I the only one who went into Moby-Dick expecting it to be some metal as fuck man-vs-beast story but then it turned out to be more about American national identity? Still a great book either way, but I feel like the way popular culture portrays the book is mostly based on the start and the end. why is this?

pic definitely related
>>
>>7835360
>some metal as fuck man-vs-beast story
Are you implying it isn't? Lmao.

Also, god-tier album right there.
>>
>>7835360
Because most people only know about it through movies.
Also I was about to write "lol at American national identity", but that book is so damn amazing and vast, you can pull all kinds of different diamonds out of it.
>>
was gonna start a new thread but asking here seems okay

i'm looking for something masculine and metal as fuck, recommendations? this is already on my list
>>
>>7835413
>i'm looking for something masculine and metal as fuck, recommendations? this is already on my list
Blood Meridian. It's serious literature, but it's got a similar vibe to what you imagine Mob-Dick as when you listen to Leviathan.

If you just want something silly then The Alphabet of Manliness is p cool.
>>
>>7835416
I read blood meridian, enjoyed it. Thats exactly the kind of thing i'm looking for if you have any more recs
>>
>>7835419

heart of darkness had a pretty masculine vibe in my opinion
>>
>>7835416
Wow, Maddox stop posting on /lit /
>>
>>7835413
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death's_Head_%28series%29

I read the first book in this series a while back. It was crap but also fucking awesome.
>>
File: 145221565997.jpg (117 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
145221565997.jpg
117 KB, 1440x1080
>>7835360
>it turned out to be more about American national identity
Is this true? I dont wanna read 1000 pages for some shitty muh patria
>>
>>7835416
>blood meridian
>serious literature

ahahahahahahahahaha, corncob tortilla yecarthy shills at it again!
>>
>>7835360
Old man and the sea.
>>
>>7835518
It's a book about everything. It can be described as melvilles meditation on America. So it's not really about America as much as it is about the ideas that make the nation what it is.
>>
>>7835518
If you finish reading Moby Dick and only get the whaling aspect out of it then you probably only actually read a third of the book.
>>
>>7835419

read some Hemingway. That guy was manly as fuck.
>>
>>7836203
>Hemingway
He was a tryhard.
>>
File: QDLag15.jpg (499 KB, 641x2614) Image search: [Google]
QDLag15.jpg
499 KB, 641x2614
>>7835360

God damn, I haven't thought of this image in so long.
>>
>>7835413
>i'm looking for something masculine and metal as fuck
The Iliad.
>>
File: 114541.jpg (45 KB, 687x700) Image search: [Google]
114541.jpg
45 KB, 687x700
>>7835360
>not posting the superior whalecore album
>>
>tried to read it
>100+ pages of gay romance

It was pretty gay.
>>
I'm about 200 pages in. A lot of the first 100 pages were actual events happening and Ishmael going into tangents on these things. A lot of the second 100 pages seems to be him just going on tangents about things without many actual events relating to them aside from a few. Is the rest of the book like this?
For example in the beginning Ishmael and Queequeg are interacting and Ishmael talks about how different and alike they are and how people relate and such. Where as in the second 100 pages he just starts giving lectures on whales, or comparing ship mastheads based on the ships purpose.
I'm still enjoying it, Ishmael is a strange funny man.
>>
>>7835360
expecting it to be some metal as fuck man-vs-beast story
>Published 1851
Why would expect anything of the sort?
>>
>>7835442
I can totally confirm this. Heart of Darkness is one serious case of masculinity and disturbing violence.
>>
>>7836977
Hehahuha me neither, thanks for posting
>>
>>7835413
The Gunslinger by Stephen King.
>>
>>7835360
>Leviathan
GOD TIER
O
D

T
I
E
R
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.