[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious series of questions. 1. How old are you? 2. What is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Serious series of questions.

1. How old are you?
2. What is the highest degree of education you have achieved/are striving to achieve?
3. Are you happy?
4. What is that one book you've been trying to finish for far too long now?

I'll answer myself after a few other responses.
>>
>26
>GCSE
>no
>n/a
>>
>>7833647

>26
>MA
> Day to day mood no, overall trajectory of my life yes.
> King James V Bible
>>
>>7833647
>24
>JD
>Depends. Sometimes, yes, with glorious peaks. Other time's I'm suicidal.
>Myth of Sisyphus (I keep jumping around, and this is sitting on the nightstand, crumpled and half-finished).
>>
>18
>Graduating high school, hoping to get my MA eventually
>No, I'm mentally ill and lonely
>The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
>>
>25
>High School Diploma
>Yup, happy and in love.
>The Complete Journals of Anais Nin
>>
>>7833647
>Serious series of questions.
>1. How old are you?
>2. What is the highest degree of education you have achieved/are striving to achieve?
Bsc. Biochemistry
>3. Are you happy?
Depends. I have no job AMD no prospects, but day to day I can be happy
>4. What is that one book you've been trying to finish for far too long now?
The odyssey. Been reading it for almost a week now
>>
>>7833647
>19
>PHD
>I don't know how.
>Cannonball by Joseph McElroy. It's easily the hardest work of literature written this century, and, after getting halfway through, I know why no one reads McElroy.
>>
PhD
Yes
American Pastoral
>>
BA History
Content, not really happy
Bible. Been reading it off and on for years.
>>
1. 30
2. Masters of Science
3. I'm indifferent and as impartial as the planet
4. I always finish books I start unless I consider them to be a waste of time. Then I'll skim them in case there is anything worth salvaging.
>>
File: 1458362309566s.jpg (3 KB, 119x125) Image search: [Google]
1458362309566s.jpg
3 KB, 119x125
>>7833702
>18
>No, I'm mentally ill and lonely
>>
>>7833647
>18
>high school
>yes
>Catcher in the Rye
>>
File: 4.png (1 MB, 918x1262) Image search: [Google]
4.png
1 MB, 918x1262
>>7833647
>1199
>bach
>:^)
>in search of lost time

i'm never going to get through it, someone please relate
>>
File: lead_large.jpg (63 KB, 675x422) Image search: [Google]
lead_large.jpg
63 KB, 675x422
1. 22
2. Associates
3. I've been drunk for four weeks, I'll put it that way.
4. The World As Will And Idea
>>
>>7833781
Cheer up, you're too young
>>
>>7833647
Bachelors
Sure
Ive never been able to get through Mason & Dixon, when I get to the part about the dog it makes me angry and I put it down.
>>
>>7833734
I read American Pastoral in 2 sittings, I cant see how you couldnt just crush that. So many feels, and the prose is pretty straightforward.
>>
>>7833647

>25
>Working on Bachelors in Media Production and Mass Communication
>Sometimes. I just struggle with my self identity and getting older.
>I took Grapes of Wrath out of the school library and haven't gotten past the third chapter. It is due back tomorrow.
>>
>19
>Currently cursing a History degree in my countrie's equivalent to college
>Meh
>The Decameron. I got bored after one week and 150 pages and didn't take it again
>>
>>7833647

1. 23
2. Barely began an associate of Business program at a local cc
3. I can't begin to formulate a response to this, but generally I do have positive and passionate emotions throughout the day
4. Book of Disquiet and it's killing me. I read almost every page up to 10 times because of how much I identify with Pessoa.
>>
>>7833722
>19
>PHD
Wtf m8
>>
>>7833647
>1. How old are you?
>2. What is the highest degree of education you have achieved/are striving to achieve?
MA / PhD
>3. Are you happy?
Not constitutionally but with my goals in life I guess
Watership Down for five fucking years
>>
surprised at how old some of you are, i thought the average age of this board was like 15
>>
>>7833924
Striving to achieve, anon.
>>
File: 1448960728568.jpg (54 KB, 361x361) Image search: [Google]
1448960728568.jpg
54 KB, 361x361
>22
>halfway through associates degree
>yes, my life is very peaceful despite everything going wrong in it
>Walden
>>
1. 20
2. A year and a half of university. Planning on restarting at community college this upcoming fall and plan on getting a bachelors still.
3. far more than I thought I ever would be. I was the "my mom died when I was 10 so I'm emo at 13" kid. I have learned to love my life despite the pain that I feel at times.
4. Lolita. Love the writing and the book is fascinating but damn... It just doesn't pull itself to me like other books do.
>>
>>7833933
it is. this is a small sample
>>
File: Gervasio_1.jpg (539 KB, 1100x897) Image search: [Google]
Gervasio_1.jpg
539 KB, 1100x897
>>7833647
>26
>BA finished, last semester of MA this year
>Yes; long, happy relationship, good money and stress-free job, about to start having kids, getting first house soon.
>Probably Outlaws of the Marsh. I stopped somewhere ~33% through about four years ago and would have to begin again to remember the characters.
>>
Med
Only when I drink
Moby dick
>>
>>7833647
>20
>DPhil (yes, I want a DPhil rather than a PhD)
>of course not, I'm on 4chan
>I've not really gotten stuck into Wilson's new book on the HRE yet even though I've had it since it came out
>Also read the first half of Either/Or last summer but haven't started the second half yet
>>
>>7833647
>1. How old are you?
45 in a few days
M.Div
>3. Are you happy?
much better now
I've ground to a screeching halt on several books right now, which I'm reluctant to mention lest anyone recognize them on my goodreads. Fortunately most of them are rereads.
>>
>>7833647

> 27
> Bachelors
> Not really
> History of the Peloponnesian War
>>
>>7833647
>23
>3 time university dropout
>yes
>On the Sensations of Tone
>>
>>7834052
Make Thucydides your bitch.
>>
>>7833908
Why are you cursing it? History was a great Bachelors for me, just pick classes with subjects you like and strap in to read/research/write some cool shit.
>>
1. 21
2. High School, it was homeschool though so I actually don't know, I also don't know if I ever want to attend college.
3. At the moment yes, I just cooked some catfish and had dinner w/ Tallest Man on Earth Playing in the background, then I cleaned everything up after myself, it felt like a small accomplishment. I'm going to clean my room up in a little bit.
4. Don Quixote, I don't know why because I've enjoyed most of it so far and I'm 2/3rds of the way through, this is my second attempting to read through.

Thank you for reading.
>>
>46
>bachelor's in english
>i need to fix a couple things but yes, i'm happy. the thing about getting older is that if you're doing it right, you're getting better at managing life.
>my novel
>>
>25
>Bachelor's degree
>Of course not
>Moby Dick
>>
>1. How old are you?
Finishing 3rd year of PhD
>3. Are you happy?
Generally not, but I am happy with most of the particulars in my life.
Of Time and the River - Thomas Wolfe
>>
high-school grad. fuck school. I be done
and but so happy as fuck
I finish every book I read these days. if I don't finish it I never pick it up again.
I never finished naked lunch, perdido street station, the sea. that's about it.
>>
>>7833647
5 semesters at lib arts private college before I dropped out
Lol no
Too many to count.
>>
Nothing
Yes
Finnegans wake
>>
>>7833715
>>7833715
No prospects with a degree in biochem?
>>
File: xopwqI8.jpg (425 KB, 1400x1845) Image search: [Google]
xopwqI8.jpg
425 KB, 1400x1845
>>7833647
>21
>highschool, want PhD
>sometimes
>The Man Without Qualities
>>
MA
Happy enough
Moby-dick
>>
>>7833980
average age is 21,22
>>
>>7833647
>27
>PhD
>no
>Capital is sitting 1/3 read by my bed, not touched it for over a week
>>
>>7833647
1. 19
2. Undergraduate in macroeconomics
3. No
4. Not really a book but all the recommended greeks that would set up the basis for further reading on Western philosophy, and I've already moved ahead
>>
>>7834126
>Why are you cursing it?
Uni is cheap in my country (once you have already payed the taxes) and young unemployment is 50%, general unemployment is 25% or so. I could also have chosen Economics, English, Spanish or Philosophy tho.
>History was a great Bachelors for me, just pick classes with subjects you like and strap in to read/research/write some cool shit.
I can't choose classes until third year, I guess it makes sense if degree studies last 4 years here. Guess I'll do some master or maybe PhD after. I'd also write and research shit rather than teach.
>>
>22
>We call it Middle Schoof in Germany. I allows me to do jobs between collecting trash and working in a bank.
>depends on the weather
>A book of arabic fables collected by a german women in the desert around 1900
>>
>>7833647
>How old are you?

>What is the highest degree of education you have achieved/are striving to achieve?
I have a master in accounting and a bachelor in finance. I would like to pursue a bachelor in classical studies on my spare time but my workflow is highly irregular.

>Are you happy?
Yes. I feel depressed once or twice in the week but it doesn't last.

>What is that one book you've been trying to finish for far too long now?
I don't know… I have a series on Roman emperors I have been reading sparsely for ages now.
>>
>>7833647
1. 25
2. English literature drop-out from Berkeley. I'm currently studying Java on my own.
3. I could be happier.
4. The Brothers Karamazov. I'm surprised people rank it so much higher than Crime and Punishment. Reading it feels like a chore.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.