[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got denied from Columbia... what happened? It was my dream
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: Madonna-with-the-Yarnwinder.jpg (32 KB, 361x500) Image search: [Google]
Madonna-with-the-Yarnwinder.jpg
32 KB, 361x500
Just got denied from Columbia... what happened? It was my dream school. I heard they have the best literature program... why has God forsaken me thus?
>>
i feel bad for writers, since u need to have a brand name degree for anyone to take ur seriously, as a programmer i just have to write good code that solves hard problems, fuck a degree lol (although i did a humanities for fun when i was younger)
>>
because I'm assuming you only had good grades and a decent SAT score to offer them, correct me if I am wrong
>>
What is the point in a literature degree? You can read and form opinions on a book just as well without one. Go to school for something that will make you money and spend your off time reading.
>>
Staying out of Columbia's neighborhood is a good thing, anon.
>>
>>7833558
no one is going to publish a book by someone with a cheap degree
>>
>>7833546
should have put african american on application. u fucked up
>>
Go to Cornell and learn rocket science. That is the true path to patrician writing. Smoke a lot of weed too. And write about lolis and turd eating too.
>>
>>7833554
You're absolutely right. Fuck.

>>7833572
Um, no..
>>
>>7833572
yeah maybe if it was 1950, no one cares about rockets, shit why don't u do a degree in navigating sailing ships by the stars or something for ur masters
>>
>>7833551
brand name degrees help with early career trajectory which obviously influence the rest of your career

obviously it doesn't matter as much as lib arts but still, it's nice to have
>>
>>7833572
cornell doesnt even have a racial cap on asian admissions, don't get to a yellow ivy, go somewhere white
>>
>>7833574
at least you won't be near those shitty Barnard girls, out of all the women's colleges, they have to be the worst
>>
>>7833551

same bruh

though i do a bit of writing/translating on the side for fun

>>7833558

ive learned a high level of mathematics than a couple of my friends who have a degree in the subject, why get a maths degree lol

rinse repeat for whatever, aside from something where you need real hands on lab work, most of it is still signalling but the skills i got from my lit degree (communication, textual analysis, general cultural understanding, deeper awareness of the human condition) have been invaluable in my general life and i doubt i would have attained them to such a level as i have now unless i had done another humanities subject as a degree (this is my general experience of people, those who have humanities degree do on average seem to have a better understanding of people and culture around them, which is fairly important in life). Doing it as a degree pretty much forces you to develop these skills - not that they cannot be developed otherwise (such as I have learned things like group theory despite having no formal math education past the age of 16), but in all likelihood people will not develop them.

>>7833567

sure they will, as long as you have connections or are willing to get reamed by amazon
>>
>>7833546
>Just got denied from Columbia
>Just got accepted into Columbia
lmao guys
>>
Get good
>>
>>7833546
>tfw rejected everywhere except for flyover state school
It's my own fault for having shitty grades I guess. The only decision now is between mediocrity and suicide.
>>
>>7833663
>tfw all of my friends in my social circle got accepted to Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, etc.
>will have to lie to them tomorrow like I did about my ACT/SAT/GPA

Fuck it all.
>>
>>7833546
>literature program
all any lit program does is pick apart your essays and papers. stick with any school, the best asset you have is being an autodidact, which, if you arent, you should just give up writing. its a selfish hobby
>>
grad or undergrad? what was your application like?
>>
>>7833680
Undergrad.

Pretty good essays and responses. Pretty good recommendations.

SAT was a 2080, ACT was a 29. Really just not good enough. In retrospect my essay was probably cliched (spoke of becoming a famous musician). Overall just a shit application.
>>
>>7833670
i did this too
my student card fell out once at a bar when i was trying to find my credit card and they saw that id been attending some godawful, unknown college in the middle of nowhere for 2 years
felt awful
>>
Roar Lion Roar baby
>>
File: Donna Tartt.jpg (564 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
Donna Tartt.jpg
564 KB, 2048x1365
Go to Bennington that's wher the patrician writers go
>>
>>7833546
Because God doesn't mark tests for Columbia, it's below his pay grade.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.