[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished this book. It was good. Not spectacular. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: the-color-purple.jpg (41 KB, 300x445) Image search: [Google]
the-color-purple.jpg
41 KB, 300x445
Just finished this book.
It was good. Not spectacular.
I'm not sure why it's been rated so highly on goodreads (4.15/5).

It's a story that highlights abuse, racism and sexism and does so without reservations. But apart from that I don't see any great literary merit. It's just a good story that incorporates these elements.

People in emma watson's feminist book club on goodreads (our shared shelf) are raving about it but I don't understand.

What am I missing?
>>
wardine be cry as told by a negress
>>
>>7832554

I haven't read Infinite Jest which /lit/ considers a godly work. Is this book (the color purple) supposed to be that good? Really, what am I missing?
>>
>>7832547

Also, I get that the language used is supposed to make a statement on the illiteracy and lack of education but the deliberately bad prose wasn't very appealing to read.
>>
>>7832547
>tfw read it all in one sitting once
>sat with my mouth gaping open and my eyes wide
>handicapped guy walks in and then gets uncomfortable and leaves.
>he thought I was staring at him.
...fuck this book
>>
>>7832547
>It's a story that highlights abuse, racism and sexism
That's literally why.
>>
>>7832547
Her short stories are good, "Everyday Use" is underrated maybe.
>>
>>7832547
It was one of the first "Unrepresented voices," books out there.

Every now and then publishers and agents get it in their head that certain people aren't represented well in lit, so they just publish any old shit.

Fucking book isn't even original, "Their Eyes Were Watching God," Is basically the same thing, written 75 years earlier by a black woman.
>>
>>7833132

>mouth gaping open and eyes wide.

I had that reaction at the beginning when the abuse was most terrible and appalling. Gradually her life gets better and less bleak.

>>7833138

Ok. I even realize that it is surprisingly brutal at times when dealing with these matters. But just because a book deals with these things does not automatically make it great.

Sure it highlighted the brutality of abusive, racist and sexist southern culture and the terrible lives of black women but that alone isn't sufficient for it to be considered such a great literary work.

There are events in the book that I feel are a bit contrived. Like her abusive husband's change to the better and admitting "took me long enough to notice such good company" to the girl who he raped, beat and abused and who left him without his approval. Moreover, Shug avery turns out to be the perfect candidate "angel" that appears to help lift her out of her oppressed state. And then it turns out she owns a lot of land as well.

To be honest, I was more interested in the olinka culture and how they responded to missionaries.

I get that it deals with some issues but I don't get why that makes this book so great.
>>
>>7833154

Will check it out. thanks for the recommendation.

>>7833191
do you think it should be considered as a great literary work? I am not convinced that it deserves the adoration that I've seen it get.
>>
WE
>>
>>7833191
>"Their Eyes Were Watching God," Is basically the same thing
something tells me you haven't read either
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.