[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to write the next great American YA series It's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: batman.jpg (16 KB, 320x234) Image search: [Google]
batman.jpg
16 KB, 320x234
I want to write the next great American YA series

It's called The Powerless

Every single person on earth developed some kind of super power X years ago.

Our hero,17 year old David Dominick, is the only person on earth with no power.

I have a loose idea of where the story goes but i feel like im missing something, a secret sauce that makes this series epic

Im looking for suggestions, what could i put in this book that really makes it soar?
>>
>>7832246
homo sex
>>
>>7832246
>i feel like im missing something, a secret sauce that makes this series epic

>this is what ya authors really believe

K E K
>>
File: tour de france.png (32 KB, 713x608) Image search: [Google]
tour de france.png
32 KB, 713x608
>>
>>7832246
make it so he is able to steal everyone else's power
then he steals all the powers and has autism
>>
Aren't you doing it wrong?
The main characters of fiction for young adults and children are always super special somehow, especially with girls if it is something inherent about the character so they don't actually have to do anything.
>>
>>7832318

No, no, I think OP is on to something. Perhaps the girls or boy without any superpowers has to deal with everyday problems like a normal person, something that everyone with superpowers has forgotten how to do, and so he or she realizes that it is better to be without superpowers because human struggle for living on one's own is more important than some flashy laser beam from your eyes. Or something along those lines.
>>
>>7832246
The Greeks
>>
>>7832246
Literally the plot of Butcher's Alara series.
>>
>>7832246
OP, follow what >>7832331 said and you can write a a good bildungsroman.
>>
File: 1456268123804.jpg (42 KB, 800x587) Image search: [Google]
1456268123804.jpg
42 KB, 800x587
>ya chosen one meme
>thinks inverting it will be unique
>most predictable "BUT HE WAS MORE POWERFUL THAN ANY OF THEM ALL ALONG" twist of all time
>shit-tier title
>>
>>7832331
yeah, but this doesn't really go far enough. YA needs the main character to somehow save the entire world. The ideal way to do it would have the thing which caused the powers also be a threat to the human race, and only the guy without powers can solve the problem.

reminds me of the silver sequence books, which were pretty cool for a YA series.
>>
File: SHAQ 2.png (55 KB, 188x269) Image search: [Google]
SHAQ 2.png
55 KB, 188x269
>>7832246
a lit match, by the sound of it.

This isn't a very good idea OP, at least on this massive scale.

I feel like the only way to actually make the kinda plot you're thinking of for this is for all the powerless people to either have some kind of fatal weakness that becomes apparent suddenly or they all suddenly get disabled in some way because of their powers.

That just seems like it would come off incredibly forced.

I think the plot could actually have a chance if you narrowed it down. Maybe he is a normal person at some sort of super-hero academy, or something like that. The whole world seems a little ridiculous and it would require a ridiculous plot device to render them all incapable or something.

What exactly is your loose idea of where the story goes anyway? It's possible I could be misreading the plot a bit and the story isn't that idiotic. But I'm not sure where else you could go with this.

pic unrelated.
>>
>>7832344
>>7832344
>>7832344
>>7832344
>>7832344

polite sage
>>
File: 1428995815965.png (134 KB, 624x434) Image search: [Google]
1428995815965.png
134 KB, 624x434
>>7832246
Alright OP, here's what you do

>establish MC as well meaning but hopeless loser
>insert MPDG best friend with pyromancy that rescues him from bullies
>they go on a quest to find out why MC doesn't have powers
>leads to eccentric yet wise old mentor who unofficially takes MC under his wing
>establish big bad villain who is a threat to all of civilization
>here's where you insert the typical YA filler shit, romance subplot, "Revenge of The Nerds" power fantasy, heavy handed attempt at dealing with a serious topic like divorce or death
>along the way subtly hint that MC does actually have a latent power much stronger than anything anybody else has
>ride the filler train all the way to the third act
>big bad has killed the MC's mentor and kidnapped the MPDG
>after implied training there is an immediate shift from naive loser coward to grizzled veteran unafraid of death
>final confrontation between big bad and MC
>MC initially gets the shit kicked out of him
>Mentor appears in an atemporal vision
>"you've always had a power within you"
>MC shoots light from every orofice
>suddenly tens of thousands of Syrian refugees charge in and slay the Big Bad
>MC saves MPDG who is now submissive and timid because MC has become a man
>novel ends with MC giving the MPDG to the refugees in thanks
>his power was diversity all long

>>7832274
>Le de Tour France

either there's some right-left bias in European graphic design or that is an awful logo
>>
Isn't that kind of the plot of Sky High
>>
>>7832519
/thread
>>
>>7832246
so Runaways?
>>
>>7832490
actually there's a comic series where people get super powers and then six months later they die. Forgot the name.
>>
>>7832246
>David Dominick

What is it with capeshit/YA and alliteration?
>>
this was the plot of the first Xanth book
>>
>>7832519
Can I steal this?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.