[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Catcher in the Rye
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: Rye_catcher.jpg (70 KB, 223x351) Image search: [Google]
Rye_catcher.jpg
70 KB, 223x351
Just read The Catcher in the Rye.

I didn't like it, but neither did I hate it. I just got the feeling that Holden was his own times teenage edgelord, typically complaining about everything he could.

I think that it may have been a good book at the time of its writing, but that you can't gain anything from it reading in today.

Thoughts about the book?
>>
>>7831686
It was never a good back.
>>
>>7831686
>. I just got the feeling that Holden was his own times teenage edgelord

That is the point, though.

The book perfectly captures the post-war life of a parentless (not really since his parents are alive, but they are absent nonetheless), misguided, tormented by death kid who can't let go of his childhood.

Read it again.

>>7831692
Contrarian pleb, please go.
>>
>>7831704
Now that you point that out, I can see the point.

Still, none of us, who have been raised in 1st world countries, can really see through Holden's eyes. The book has lived its course, and you cant really gain anything but historical value from it. I really don't understand those people ho say it was the most important book they have ever read.
>>
>>7831713
>Still, none of us, who have been raised in 1st world countries, can really see through Holden's eyes.
We can. Everybody was a kid and a teenager and everybody had to grow up. I don't think there's a person who hasn't tried to stop time at least once and prevent everything from going south and losing its charm.

Holden tries to do that for everyone, though, not just for himself. See how he erases profanities in toilets and how happy he is when he is with his sister.

Don't tell me you never felt sad about having to leave the bliss of youth behind and become and adult.
>>
File: SO8VK6U.jpg (43 KB, 330x414) Image search: [Google]
SO8VK6U.jpg
43 KB, 330x414
>>7831728
Ok, now I see the point behind those actions. Ofcourse I have, and once in a while I still wish to be younger.

Thank you kind stranger for opening the book for me.
>>
>>7831713
>>7831728 is right. It's not a period piece it's a character study.
>>
File: Canibus2ndamendment.jpg (27 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Canibus2ndamendment.jpg
27 KB, 480x360
Since you're finished with the book, can I buy your copy?
>>
>>7831765
You can fet it for free, I paid like 1€ for it and it had some markings from what I think was from a student on a english course.

I live in Finland though, but I can mail it to you.
>>
>>7831686
u dumb
>>
Why was it banned though?
>>
>>7833519
Homosexuality, but the book has three real short sentences that has something like that.
1. Holden sees someone crosdessing throug his hotel window
2. Holden says a few guys looks like gays in a bar
3. Holden is asleep at his old teachers house, and wakes to his teacher patting his head.
>>
It's starts off cancerous but the later chapters, especially after when he gets drunk and is with Phoebe and his English teacher, are GOAT.

Makes it all worthwhile desu.
>>
>>7831686
I'm 26. Am I too old to read this shit?
>>
>>7833540
Holden got raped by his old teacher, Mr. Antolini.
>>
>>7833540
And the hiring of a prostitute.
>>
I recently read it and enjoyed it a lot. Not a god-tier masterpiece but it was certainly worth the read. I liked Holden as a character because obviously we're all edgelords here but I thought his manner of speech was charming. Also I love to go out on long walks and go random places so it was pretty comfy. Thought it was also pretty neat to get a general idea of what young people did with their time in the 40's. For being as short of a read as it was I'd definitely recommend it.
>>
1. literally his worst book
2. he rapes his sister phoebe
>>
>>7833540
You list these obscure moments and not the major incestuous rape scene? I'd venture THAT is why it is banned
>>
>>7834600
>>7833651

That doesn't happen. Sure is phonies in here.
>>
>>7834643
he says he gives her pinches on the butt
>>
>>7833596
No he didn't, he wakes up to Antolini patting his head?

Is that supposed to be rape? This aint no Tumblr man?
>>
>>7834651
le epic wincest xd
>>
>>7833596
>>7834820
He wasn't raped by Antolini but it was alluded that he was molested in some way at some point.

Paraphrasing: "things like that always seem to happen to me."
>>
Nobody ever gets this book because of the "teenage angst" meme.

It's a metaphor for post-war alienation. Little known fact: the book is actually written by Salinger's "Buddy Glass" character, who was a soldier himself, but wrote the story about his brother Seymour who killed himself after being unable to return to society after WW2.
>>
Does anyone have the image comparing Faulkner, Beckett, and Bloom's view of it?
>>
>>7834862
that quote is in reference to him always encountering shitty people in general. you guys really need to drop this rape/molest meme.
>>
>>7834890
Almost every time I see this book brought up on this board I feel the need to direct posters to Faulkners comments.
It really looks like no one gets the fucking book.
>>
>>7831686
It's GOAT once you figure out what's the meaning behind it.
>>7831704
>>7834863

These Anons have it right
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.