[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>reading pic related >someone says to me that it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: tinker-tailor-soldier-spy.jpg (102 KB, 267x400) Image search: [Google]
tinker-tailor-soldier-spy.jpg
102 KB, 267x400
>reading pic related
>someone says to me that it's airport-bookstore level trash

Was he right?
>>
>>7830202
idk but i loved the spy who came n from the cold
>>
i've never read any spy fiction but i generally hate spy movies
theyre always too impersonal, i never know or care who anybody is and they're full of boring exposition

is that pretty much what to expect from spy fiction?
>>
>>7830242
no
>>
>>7830258
maybe
>>
i'm reading it right now as my subway read, and i've had 3 professors notice it in my hand and start a 5 minute convo about how much they love it

who even cares though
>>
>>7830202
It's a good type of airport thriller, but yeah that's essentially all.
>>
I cracked out on this author maybe five years ago and while he is a little trashy, I felt like he was pretty engrossing trash. Interrogation/interview scenes have a satisfying tension, and his world has an almost occult glow to it, as if he were writing about magicians and witches rather than spies.

Unfortunately, he follows a very predictable thriller formula and I never got the sense that there's much going on beneath the surface of his books. But it's a pretty, initially very engaging surface.

I've read some straight spy trash, he's not straight trash, buy classy trash. At least that's what I tell myself to feel good about my shit life decisions.
>>
I read the Spy Who Came in from the Cold and I thought it was great, then I read Smiley's People and I felt like I was reading the same book again with the locations and names changed. (I know that's completely out of order.) Then I watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and it was the same thing again.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.