[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I bought Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... Will it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1458281221996.jpg (75 KB, 480x854) Image search: [Google]
1458281221996.jpg
75 KB, 480x854
So I bought Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... Will it be everything it's hyped up to be on Lebbit, or am I in for disappointment?
>>
I own it, but I've yet to read it.
Is HGtTG a book that endorses atheism?
>>
The last time I read it I was 14, and I enjoyed it then. I don't know what I would get out of it now, I don't remember enough about it. Reddit does love it, which might be a bad sign of the humor in it, but just read it and decide for yourself.
>>
>>7828717
It's alright. It's pleasure reading, it doesn't elevate you to another degree of "literature" or whatever what are u expecting?

It's funny, sweet and pass-timer.

Go read it and get it over with
>>
>>7828734
>

yes adams is unapologetically atheist in the british sense. good for a laugh but then it gets annoying after 700 pages.
>>
File: 1449033700857.png (50 KB, 753x689) Image search: [Google]
1449033700857.png
50 KB, 753x689
Its worth the read.
It was formative on my sense if humor as a kid.
>>
>>7828797
>700 pages
it's only 218 pages?
>>
I read it when I was like 22 or some shit. It's really not that good or funny. You might smile once or twice. Zaphod (sp) is the only thing that made it okay. The robot was a fag.
>>
>>7828907
Atleast it's a short read.
I'll just speedread the fuck out of it I guess.
>>
>>7828925
If you want funny Sci fi read ubik
>>
>>7828822
Sequels...
>>
ACTUAL NOT MEME QUESTION:
Adams was a radio program guy, does that mean hitchhiker's would be tolerable in audiobook?
>>
>>7828717
Get ready to be disappointed. It's good for a one time read but you will feel afterwards as if it could have been better. Severely overrrated.
>>
>>7829875
It's funny you ask this, because I came here to recommend the audiobook version. There are some books that are just suited to being read, and I think this series is an example of that.
There is a release that has Stephen Fry reading the first book, which I really like, but unfortunately that is the only one he recorded, so after that it is Martin Freeman for the rest of the way (and Simon Jones at the end if you read the Colfer addition to the series, which can be annoying at times, but overall I'd recommend it). Freeman is a fine narrator, but the change is weird. Particularly with Zaphod, as Fry and Freeman apparently had completely different interpretations of the character (And sadly Fry's is better).

Past that, it's a fun series that degrades a little in quality as it goes on. I wouldn't say that they are some of the greatest books ever made or my favorites, but it's something that, despite its flaws, I keep coming back to. Particularly at stressful times in my life I enjoy going to sleep listening to it.
>>
>>7830192
the one I had my eyes on was narrated by adams himself
>>
>>7830301
I actually haven't heard those yet. It would be interesting, though it can be tough when authors read their own books because they are, you know, authors, not people that read books outloud for a living.
>>
WHERE DOES THIS MEME COME FROM
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.