[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who has read Blood Meridian and also thinks Judge Holden was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Judge_Holden2.jpg (111 KB, 795x1005) Image search: [Google]
Judge_Holden2.jpg
111 KB, 795x1005
Who has read Blood Meridian and also thinks Judge Holden was the Devil?
>>
he was not the devil, same way Moby Dick wasn't god
>>
>>7828104
Are you sure?
>>
>>7828090

Clancy Brown will never play the judge
>>
>>7828210
The main villain from season 1 of True Detective should play him. Or John Goodman. Or fat Brando
>>
>>7828231
TGood choice
>>
>>7828210
Daniel Day Lewis with 50+ pounds, makeup, and Hobbit size tech would be perfect.
>>
>>7828090
Why would anyone think that?
>>
>>7828090
I have read Blood Meridian and I think the Judge was the devil. Mind you, he's not ONLY the devil. He's the MODERN devil. What do you think all that shit he's spouting about naming things is up to?

The book is basically a manifestation in prose of McCarthy's own ambivalence about materialist monism and its relationships to our value structures. It's basically challenging readers to say that what happens in the book is reprehensible without also denying the Judge's power, because the Judge's power, if granted, casts doubt on the validity of the reader's judgments about the events in the book.

To wit, if this world is nothing but what we make of it and all really is fair in love and war, and no higher power to say otherwise, how can you be appalled by the rape of children and the skewering of infants on trees? You may hunt the Judge down and try to kill him, but that doesn't make him wrong... and as you may have noticed, the Judge is unkillable and he still dances and is a great favorite.

He never dies.
>>
>>7829199
Thank you!
>>
>>7829199
>He never dies.
He loses his power though, when the west is tamed and civilized, symbolized by the fence maker in the epilogue.
>>
Mccarthy wrote blood meridian to be his "Moby Dick". The way I see it, both books have the same conflict of man against God. The difference lies in each author's interpretation of God. Judge Holden is Mccarthy's idea of God on earth, hence the Judge's suzerain ideal.
>>
>>7829199
WRONG
>>
>>7828090
He was obviously an Enginieer, hiding out on Earth.
>>
>>7828090
>>7828104
What about Aslan? How does he factor into this?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.