[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finally picked up a copy of Thus Spoke Zarathustra. Anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: zarathustra-1.jpg (505 KB, 864x1296) Image search: [Google]
zarathustra-1.jpg
505 KB, 864x1296
Just finally picked up a copy of Thus Spoke Zarathustra. Anything important to keep in mind as I read it? I'm not very good at picking up subtleties in books and want to make sure I don't miss anything.
>>
>>7826943
the greeks
>>
File: Philosofy.png (513 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Philosofy.png
513 KB, 800x600
>>7826943
Nietzsche is a sophist. Don't bother.
>>
>>7826943
>I'm not very good at picking up subtleties in books and want to make sure I don't miss anything.

You're fucked.
>>
File: 1430208500210.jpg (19 KB, 313x367) Image search: [Google]
1430208500210.jpg
19 KB, 313x367
>>7826943
>I'm not very good at picking up subtleties in books
>>
>>7826943
>I'm not very good at picking up subtleties in books

gg, wp
>>
>>7826943
>I'm not very good at picking up subtleties in books and want to make sure I don't miss anything.

You're going to miss everything
>>
Nietzsche was a philologist, and he knew a great, great deal about Greek culture.

Enjoy the read!
>>
>tell me ur secrets, anus
>>
keep in mind half of the book is parody and memeing on western metaphysics.

>>7827079
t. plato
>>
>>7827079
The sophists were smarter than Plato, senpai. Plato was just better at memes,
>>
>>7827340
How so? You can't teach virtue. Granted you can kind of, set someone on the right path to discover it, but it isn't fucking robocop add-ons
>>
File: 1457761153699.jpg (40 KB, 495x363) Image search: [Google]
1457761153699.jpg
40 KB, 495x363
>>7827403
>You can't teach virtue
>he thinks its even worth discussing virtue
>>
that's a nice cover
>>
>>7827403
Sophists
>teach mostly useful, worldly skills
>generally skew towards moral relativism and individual self improvement
>absolutely fundamental to the operation democratic system in Athens
>even Socrates admits that they are better teachers than he is, his only quibble is that they charge for their teachings and the profit motive can corrupt them

Plato
>butthurt at reality because it made him a loser (same for Socrates but Socrates was less upset about it)
>makes some silly ephemeral metaphysical system that makes everyone kind of suck by comparison to his epic fantasyland, said epic fantasy degrades the importance of the physical world and goes on to inform religious thought in the west for the next 2,000 years
>is unfortunately one of the very few people of his time to write a lot (Greeks of his era thought writing was for nerds and even Socrates shit talked the written word)
>almost everything we know about the sophists and Socrates comes through Plato
>chances are he just sat there butthurt writing what he thought would have sounded good when he was in reality getting BTFO in verbal debate by intellectually superior men
>probably also warped Socrates a bit for use as a literary device to make himself look smarter
>>
>>7827443

Well - it appears as though we have an actual Sophist among us
>>
>>7827460
that's fucking ridiculous, how could have I lived for 2,000 years?
>>
File: cc5.jpg (36 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
cc5.jpg
36 KB, 500x375
>>7827246
can't unsee
>>
>>7827480
Having little boys rub olive oil into your grundle?
>>
>>7827419
this
>>
>>7827443
>even Socrates admits that they are better teachers than he is

He was being completely sarcastic, how can not grasp this?
>>
The main thing to keep in mind is three things. First, Nietzsche opposed Socrates because Socrates believed that evil was the result of ignorance. Nietzsche believed that Socrates ruined Greek civilization when his influence caused an imbalance between the rational and the irrational. You can't have reason with 'unreason', so to speak.

Secondly, he opposed Christianity because of the Christian point of view (and Abrahamic view in general) on suffering, which is that suffering must and will be extinguished by God. This gives us the same problem that Socrates had, which is that you can't grow in life without suffering. Life is the will to power, and power is gained through overcoming suffering. If you take suffering away completely, or deny it as a fact of life, you take away people's path to greater potential, thus making their life completely meaningless.
>>
>>7828363

>the old socrates is sarcastic meme

there's a difference between irony and sarcasm.
>>
>>7828400

2/2

The final thing to keep in mind is Nietzsche's oppsition to teleology. Teleology is the idea that the universe is working to one goal. This is a view that was made popular by Aristotle, Averroes and Aquinas. Nietzsche opposes this, because there's no real basis in it in reality. Lifeforms don't have a specific goal in life, they exist simply because they're the most well-adapted to their environment. All of this points towards a crisis in civilization, the death of God, which is a crisis we must overcome, in order to surpass the current human condition we're in right now. Overcoming our human condition will bring about a new kind of human, free to decide his own destiny
>>
>>7828400
>First, Nietzsche opposed Socrates because Socrates believed that evil was the result of ignorance. Nietzsche believed that Socrates ruined Greek civilization when his influence caused an imbalance between the rational and the irrational.

Flat out wrong.
>>
>>7828417
MacIntyre would like to have a word with you after class.
>>
>reading relativist crap
Jesus christ man...
>>
>>7827340
>actually defending the sophists
the only one I see meming is you
>>
>>7827443
Sophists
>teach deception
>teach theres a lack of truth
>scam people
>encourage regression
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.