[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /lit/, I´ve been an avid reader during my youth, having grown
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
Hi /lit/, I´ve been an avid reader during my youth, having grown up with Harry Potter, Oliver Twist and other books. After a few years of a video game binge, I recently began to read Sir Thomas Mallorys Le Morte de Artur. And I kind of want to read other Mythologys.

Sor are there any Mythology you would recommend reading and why?
>>
read whatever you want. come back when you want to discuss something you've read
>>
File: daulaires_greek_myths.jpg (72 KB, 362x499) Image search: [Google]
daulaires_greek_myths.jpg
72 KB, 362x499
>>7824980
>Sor are there any Mythology you would recommend reading and why?

Yes. Get the D'aulaires' books on Greek and Norse mythology. They are wonderful.
>>
>>7825384
Does this book delve into the esoteric and allegorical meaning of mythology?
>>
>>7824980
Ovid's Metamorphoses are good for greek myth
>>
>>7824980
You would probably like The Faerie Queene by Edmund Spenser. It was written much later than Mallory, but Spenser used an intentionally archaic style so it maybe seems older than it is. Also, not so much mythology as allegory, but it has a mythological foundation.

Also, you'd probably like the Caroligian myths. These are about Charlemagne and his paladins, especially Roland. Most famous and accessible is probably Orlando Furioso. Similar chivalrous feel as Arthurian stuff.

Also, assuming that you are interested mainly in the literature of the Middle Ages, do some online research about "The Three Matters." These are The Matter of Britain (Arthurian), The Matter of France (Carolingian), and The Matter of Rome, which comprises medieval interpretations of the classical myths of Rome and Greece.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.