[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books you've reread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: Twice.jpg (160 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
Twice.jpg
160 KB, 1080x720
1. The book you've reread more times than any other.
2. A book you enjoyed, but don't intend to reread
3. A book you intend to reread soon.
4. A book that changed dramatically upon rereading.

1. Moby-Dick, 5 times
2. The Illuminatus! Trilogy. Possibly Gulliver's Travels (worth a reread?)
3. Ulysses. Starting round 3 shortly.
4. Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man

One cannot read a book: one can only reread it.
>>
1. The Tunnel, 3 times
2. Agape Agape
3.The Lime Twig
4. Ulysses
>>
>>7823793
1. The Call of Cthulhu
2. Any non-fiction type philosophy book (the kind were the author just tells you what they think rather than show it with a story)
3. Notes from Underground
4. The Call of Cthulhu because I read some interpretations and thought about these and so saw it as not just a story about a monster
>>
>>7823793
1.The Illuminatus! Trilogy
2. Fuck you OP
3.The Illuminatus! Trilogy
4.The Illuminatus! Trilogy
>>
1. The Time Mahine
2. Atlas Shrugged
3. As I Lay Dying
4. The Unbearable Lightness of Being
>>
>>7823872
Alright, I'll play.

Finished this book not long ago. By the end (appendixes especially), I was convinced there was more to it than I got on my first read, and almost ready to admit that the improvement of quality from book one to book three was deliberate and not just because the writers got deeper into it (presumably along the lines of Hagbard saying he has to work on Dorn's gullibility)

That said, it was 800 pages long, a far cry from Shakespeare, and seemed, in the author's own words, to be a cheap imitation of Joyce and Faulkner. Why would I reread the intro to higher reality textbook when I could reread Joyce instead? Plus most of the jokes were both obvious and lame. Cuninlingus, the soldier who crucified Christ...

If you make a compelling case otherwise, I promise I'll reread it.
>>
>not rereading every book you like
so much for being patrician, /lit/
>>
File: 1457879202947.png (8 KB, 670x670) Image search: [Google]
1457879202947.png
8 KB, 670x670
1. The Crying of Lot 49 (6 times)
2. Underworld (A good book, but a long slog at times)
3. Moby-Dick (It's been years)
4. Gravity's Rainbow (It seemed to me gibberish the first time, with no real narrative progression or thematic cohesion, the two rereads since were incredibly rewarding)
>>
1. The Catcher in the Rye
2. Room by Donoghue
3. Invisible Man
4. Don't have one to be honest
>>
1. As I lay Dying, or Mrs. Dalloway
2. Infinite Jest
3. Catch-22
4. The Waves
>>
>>7823936
>> 4. Gravity's Rainbow.

Agreed. Read that fucker 4 times. First time couldn't decide if it was the best or worst thing I'd ever read. By the 3rd time, it was as easy to read as any other novel and many times more rewarding.
>>
>>7823976
I'll be giving it a 4th go within 2016 there's no doubt. I can see myself growing tired of the book one day .. but not anytime soon.
>>
>>7823976
This is relieving to hear. I'm about 50 pages into my first read of it, and I honestly feel retarded. I can mostly tell what's going on, and I can see how he develops themes over paragraphs, but there's so much I can just catch glimpses of that I know I'm missing.
I really like it, though.
I'm happy to hear that GR gets better each time you read it.
>>
>>7823900
Not that anon but I think the book was meant to be read more than once. When I first re-read it I caught a lot of things that just went right passed me the first time and had another one of those stoner revelations the book brings. I know its not a patrician-tier book but I read this book when I was in a really bad place and it actually helped me see some sort of light in the abyss I was stuck in AND for that it'll always have a special place in my heart
>>
>>7824111
trips don't lie
>>
>>7823793
1. Huck Finn- 4 times
2. Anatole France- The God's are Athirst
3. Infinite Jest (2nd read) and Murphy (2nd read)
4. So many. I'm a big perscriber to the saying that if you haven't read a book twice you haven't really read it at all- its too foreign on a first read. But if I have to pick one I'd say Huck Finn.
>>
>>7823793
1. The Catcher In The Rye (4 times maybe?)
2. JR
3. The Recognitions
4. Gravity's Rainbow
>>
1. Swan Song
2. The Stand
3. IT
4. [ERROR 39: FILE NOT FOUND}
>>
How do you read a book more than once?
>>
>>7823793
1. The Old Man and the Sea (5)
2. The Unbearbale Lightness of Being
3. Stoner
4. Jesus' Son
>>
File: fuck you guys.png (856 KB, 795x1005) Image search: [Google]
fuck you guys.png
856 KB, 795x1005
>>7823793
I don't reread a whole lot of books, so this is gonna be pretty meme-y, but here goes...!

>1)The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (4 times)
>2) The Satanic Verses
>3) The Master and Margarita (already started 2bh)
>4) The Lord of the Rings
>>
>not reading everything at least twice
>>
>The Saga of the Volsungs
>Theaetetus
>The Iliad
>NA
>>
walk same road again? thanks but nahh
>>
>>7824793
how do you read a book only once? How can you expect to understand a book on anything deeper than a very basic level without rereading it
>>
>>7823793
1. Ficciones
2. Swann's Way
3. Kafka's short stories
4. The Sun Also Rises
>>
>>7823793
1. The Western Lands (Burroughs)—always reading
2. Being There (Kosinski)
3. Reality Hunger (Shields)—read once, profoundly inspiring book
4. The Unfortunates (Johnson)
>>
>>7824820
What translation of M&M are you reading? Also are you enjoying it?
>>
Mein kampf
>>
>>7823846
grandma take your meds this is not your reading group, get off of 4chin :^]
>>
The Crying of Lot 49 (3x)
Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (2x)
Slaughterhouse-Five (2x)
The Catcher in the Rye (2x)
Ulyseses (halfway through second time right now)

Haven't reread too many, to be honest. Would like to re-read Pale Fire and One Hundred Years of Solitude sometime soon
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.