[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /Eckhart Tolle/? I listen to his teachings every day. He's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: Eckhhart_Tolle_front.jpg (100 KB, 238x360) Image search: [Google]
Eckhhart_Tolle_front.jpg
100 KB, 238x360
Who /Eckhart Tolle/?

I listen to his teachings every day. He's amazing.
>>
what the fuck
>>
>>7821509
What?
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (29 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
29 KB, 400x300
Hey it's one of the twins from It's Always Sunny, I love that show.
>>
I knew two people who followed his philosophy, both of them committed suicide.
>>
>>7821507
I've read some of his books, It's pretty good.
>>
>>7821524
In what order did you read them? I read the power of now so far which one should i continue with?
>>
My dad loves him,
I gave my copy of the power of now to a french girl on a train and then banged her.

Cheers Eckhart.
>>
>>7821517
He's hacking in House of Cards now.

>>7821522
The power of now: how to stop procrastinating and postponing death.
>>
hello
rato
>>
>>7821507
Garbage
everybody who follows his advice ends up doing nothing.
>>
>>7821507
Be here now. Alpert summed up anything Tolle has to offer years earlier.
>>
>>7821560

then he's a great master, i suppose
>>
>>7821507
beware anyone who spreads "teachings" rather than ideas.
>>
>>7821633

it's actually the other way round.

"ideas" are the particular ramblings of a thinker.

teachings are a body of living thinkers that devote themselves to a truth that they have accepted as primeval.
>>
>>7821647
case in point.
>>
will this guy make me not sad anymore?

you dont have to reply
>>
>>7821684
Better sad than a new age fag, but from a bit of skimming I did off of a pirated copy, he does have some good (albeit unoriginal) ideas concerning meditation and body-awareness so it's not a complete waste of time to read him.
>>
>>7821622
ayy

true though
>>
File: Pepe-The-Frog-Happy-12.jpg (93 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Pepe-The-Frog-Happy-12.jpg
93 KB, 800x800
>>7821507

he's great. This guy has had the most impact on my happiness on life, along with others. I'm ugly and virgin at 25 but I'm working on my PhD, getting fit and my hobbies. You'll forget the pain that you suffered in the past and your own mortality. You'll see the present as a eternity, so everything you do does actually mater, and it's always worth it to take risks
>>
This lad seems like Alan Watts without the charm to me.
>>
another conman I guess
>>
>>7821762
> You'll see the present as a eternity

Does this just boil down to living in the moment? Not that it is an easy thing to do, but is a book really necessary for that?
>>
>>7821816
>living in the moment

wh-what do you mean
>>
>>7821830
Well not in the "yolo swag #420" sense, but rather in maintaining a fresh consciousness that's unburdened by ressentiment, regrets, fears and other recurring thoughts that bring worry and pain.
>>
File: 1450761155937.jpg (7 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1450761155937.jpg
7 KB, 250x250
>>7821926
what about "social" pressure
>>
>>7821930
What do you mean? Others cannot directly influence your reactions. The way you react to whatever they do to you, however horrible, is already predetermined by your own conditioning and disposition.
>>
>>7821933
when the others opinions matter too much in your head
>>
>>7821937
I guess that counts as well. It's up to you to determine how much weight you want to give such opinions. In general, it doesn't help to define yourself based on exterior points, whether they are spatial (those around you) or temporal (you from the past, you from the future) since those are always partial and thus prone to failure (even your past self, since viewing your past self from the present already distorts it).
>>
Just watered down westernized Buddhism with less depth taught by a conman. If you're interested in his stuff just cut out the middle man and jump into raw Buddhism or any other eastern philosophy of your choice.
>>
>>7822058
Have you listened to his videos on youtube?
He has an amazing presence and it always brings me deeply into the moment listening to him.

>hurr he isn't the one who discovered 'no mind'
No shit senpai laotzu was talking about this thousands of years ago same as jesus.
Still i am thankful for everyone who spreads the message and especially the ones who do so with great wisdom
>>
>>7822138
care to share a link? the video you like the most
>>
I read the first 50 pages of Power of Now. He told me not to think.
>>
>>7821507
I'm wary of anyone who claims to have undergone a 'spontaneous enlightenment'. Either way: Tolle's message is OK. There is very little originality to be found in his teachings though - if any at all. Also: do not expect to find enlightenment through his teachings, no one ever has and - I suspect - no one ever will. Claiming he is a conman is not entirely unjustified.
>>
>>7822196
This one is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KNefVPDbsQ
>>
>>7821560
but doing nothing is hard
>>
>>7821522
>philosophy
Self-help bullshit isn't philosophy.
>>
File: Phi.png (916 KB, 874x874) Image search: [Google]
Phi.png
916 KB, 874x874
Ahem
>>
>>7822762
>Philosophism

A B S O L U T E L Y

S A V A G E
A
V
A
G
E
>>
>>7822762
saved
>>
RSD Tyler is superior
>>
>>7822762
As much of a meme as Zizek is, he's still an actual philosopher as opposed to self-help con artist hacks like Tolle.
>>
the reason why tolle and many other "self-help" faggots are able to function is because they are quite literally fueled by the money and misery of other people.
people don't realize the dichotomy of the helper and the helpee. don't you realize you always feel good when someone tells you something moderately terrible about their lives then expecting some consolation, like you're put in the position of helping that person so suddenly you don't have to worry about your own problems, they have some terrible problem and when in counselor mode you don't.
that's also why i don't trust counselors and why i don't believe in talking about your problems to anybody unless absolutely essential. every counselor(except one) i've met clearly had past issues that they hadn't cleared up but of course in the role of counselor they aren't the crazy neurotic one.
>>
>>7822978
How many counselors have you met exactly?
>>
>>7821507
looks like a cuck desu
>>
>>7823208
6-7
>>
File: cheetos.jpg (100 KB, 1024x796) Image search: [Google]
cheetos.jpg
100 KB, 1024x796
Not a lot of pragmatic advice beyond 'just be lmao'.

The guy had a spontaneous awakening, or at least claimed to have one, so he doesn't have a lot of experience with mystic practices. Good for him but not very practical for other people.

It's watered down Eastern thought for sure, but it's not too bad really.
Certainly wouldn't call him a 'hack' or 'conman'.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.