[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was he so sad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: schopenhauerarthur.jpg (85 KB, 590x850) Image search: [Google]
schopenhauerarthur.jpg
85 KB, 590x850
Why was he so sad?
>>
He was German

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ztOV2wrrkY
>>
Because he was born.
>>
File: 1455494119317.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1455494119317.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>7817143
/gsg/ pleasantly surprise me sometimes
>>
He was alive.
>>
>>7817139
He resented his dad because he wanted him to be a merchant like him. When he died, His mama became a huge attention whore. He resented his lack of respect for him and became /r9k/
>>
>>7817183
>/r9k/
at least Schopenhauer had the decency to blame the entire existence for his life sucking instead of blaming it on women
>>
Hegel raped him.
>>
File: Schopenhauer's Girlfriend.jpg (235 KB, 1165x1401) Image search: [Google]
Schopenhauer's Girlfriend.jpg
235 KB, 1165x1401
>>7817139
>>
Too much compassion.
>>
>>7817143
I had seen fragments of this video in webm form, I now wish I was a history teacher so I could show this in class. Political correctness be damned.
>>
>>7817245
I bet she rode him like a champ
>>
I would appreciate if any anons could cite or reproduce a particular quotation or aphorism, which I once saw attributed to Schopenhauer.

The basic thrust of the text that I remember, goes like this: "There is something to be said for securing a house to one's self, a quiet spot, where one may wait out all life's cruelties in relative comfort, and patience."

That's not even a paraphrase, I just tried to capture the flavor of what I'd read.

I got a cheap Schopenhauer volume several months ago only for the "on women" meme (which I did read), and now that I look and I've been reading more lately, it's quite short, so I may have to read it. After all, it might contain the above.
>>
>>7817206

The progression of history has instead vindicated Schopenhauer and his ilk.

And, to complain that philosophy is properly not empirical, is to fundamentally misunderstand.
>>
>>7817387
literally the only significance schopenhauer has to any contemporary philosopher is as a stepping stone to other thinkers. No one considers him as having independent value.
>>
>>7817387

Please elaborate.
>>
>>7817422

So the value of philosophy may be judged by what is currently popular.

Thank you for making yourself plain.
>>
>>7817431

Life is a bitch and then you die.

Bitches are whores.
>>
>>7817387
>And, to complain that philosophy is properly not empirical, is to fundamentally misunderstand.

Confirmed for not having read Schopenhauer. Or for being an incredibly dense cunt. Likely both.
>>
File: schopenhauer3.png (491 KB, 560x600) Image search: [Google]
schopenhauer3.png
491 KB, 560x600
>>7817379
>The wise man will, above all, strive after freedom from pain and annoyance, quiet and leisure, consequently a tranquil, modest life, with as few encounters as may be; and so, after a little experience of his so-called fellowmen, he will elect to live in retirement, or even, if he is a man of great intellect, in solitude.

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/s/schopenhauer/arthur/wisdom/complete.html#chapter2
>>
>>7817432
no you idiot, schopenhauer hasn't been vindicated if he is *still* irrelevant to people's concerns. That doesn't fit what vindication means.
>>
>>7818225

ay, thx guy.

>>7818202

He thinks that, in that statement, I was referring to Schopenhauer's philosophy specifically, cute.

>>7818272

We get it. For you, philosophy is a popularity contest, a fashion show of novel conceits, as opposed to a search for truth. Thank you for making this even clearer.
>>
>>7818272
Confirmed for not understanding what 'vindicated' means
>>
>>7818348
>He thinks that, in that statement, I was referring to Schopenhauer's philosophy specifically, cute.

I misread and will punish myself by imposing upon myself a 24-hour /lit/ ban.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.