[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
homestuck
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 4dFJuLI.png (69 KB, 322x340) Image search: [Google]
4dFJuLI.png
69 KB, 322x340
Is homestuck, or any other webcomic for that matter, worth reading? I've never read one because I feel like every single second spent reading a webcomic is a second that could have been spent on reading an actual book. I simply see them as YA lit with pictures, which just makes them worse than YA lit.
Having that said I really enjoyed some comics, for example Watchman, and some manga too (Berserk is a masterpiece imo).
Am i wrong?
>>
>>7814946

If you're actually asking yourself this question, you're probably pleb enough to enjoy them, so go ahead and read them.
>>
>>7814946
well youre wrong in comparing them to lit yes. theyre just for a quick giggle m8
>>
Homestuck is literally the Ulysses of the 21st century. It's incomparable, inimitable, and perfect in every way.

“HS is supposedly a story that is also a game. In games, the characters die all the time. How many times did you let Mario fall in the pit before he saved the princess? Who weeps for these Marios. In games your characters die, but you keep trying and trying and rebooting and resetting until finally they make it. When you play a game this process is all very impersonal. Once you finally win, when all is said and done those deaths didn’t “count”, only the linear path of the final victorious version of the character is considered “real”. Mario never actually died, did he? Except the omniscient player knows better. HS seems to combine all the meaningless deaths of a trial-and-error game journey with the way death is treated dramatically in other media, where unlike our oblivious Mario, the characters are aware and afraid of the many deaths they must experience before finally winning the game.” -- The James Joyce of the 21st century, Andrew Hussie

Just...wow.
>>
no but problem sleuth is the 21st century version of the homeric epics
>>
Problem Sleuth is good. Homestuck is a bloated mess. Neither are comparable to lit.
>>
>>7814946
Bloated and kinda inconsistent, specially in later arcs. Most interesting thing about it: uses the Internet as medium to talk about internet existence, which is still something pretty rare in literature
>>
>>7814946
By making this post and waiting for replies you are wasting time you could've used to read a few Homestuck chapters and see if you liked it.
>>
Tails Gets Trolled is a masterpiece
>>
>>7814946
>>7815086
This is a troll, but it really is the literary masterpiece of the century so far. Which isn't saying much.
>>
Whatever your opinion is on the quality of the series or its fanbase, it's definitely a lot different to most other webcomics and mediums in general. If you're patient enough to go through the entire comic to date, it uses some very interesting story techniques that probably have never been used before and never will be again - for that reason i'd say its worth reading
>>
>>7817190
>it's going to be a long day
>5000 pages long to be precise
>>
>>7814946
Homestuck is definitely worth reading, at least until the end of the fifth act. It's surprisingly literary and the author pulls a lot of cool tricks akin to Joyce or Danielewski.

Please don't let the fan-base turn you off: Homestuck really is a pretty unique work of fiction that made a great use of its limited medium. Read it if you've got the time.
>>
It's what Ready Player One should have been. Read it.
>>
>>7817267
>What Ready Player One should have been
So not written?
>>
>>7814946
homestuck is actually amazing up until [S] Game Over. It's the kind of thing you can spend years picking apart for meaning and alwaysy finding another layer or myth. People are still debating how concepts in existentialism can be applied to the character classes in the game, and some theories got so heated that the official forums had to tear down the discussion thread for months.

Unfortunately, by waiting too long you've missed out on a huge part of the experience. Homestuck is amazing on its own but part of it's appeal came from the author's interaction with the fanbase and how it shaped the story. Two of the characters are meant to represent the fandom and hatedom respectively, another was retconned to be a paraplegic because the author saw a fan comic where he was in a wheelchair. That character's dad (or son, it's not quite clear due to all the time travel) ended up being based on Dante Basco after he became the major celebrity fan
>>
>>7814946
The fanbase is absolute cancer but Homestuck really is amazing. It's a bit difficult to get into it at first but once you do you'll wanna keep reading more. Also, it's ending this year. Might wanna catch up on those 8,000 pages before it's done.
>>
>>7817305
Forgot to mention it has some great music as well. I'd say Medium is one of the best albums.
https://homestuck.bandcamp.com/album/medium
>>
>>7817276
>>7817253
>>7817276
>>7817190
>>7814946
feels bad that i have to share this board with people who un-ironically think berserk and homestuck are masterpieces.
>>
>>7814946
Never read Homestuck but it sounds mad gay. If you want to get in on dank internet meme-literature your only two choices are Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters or Tails Gets Trolled.

Elemental Masters is really something else. I'd sincerely recommend that.
>>
>>7817269
Kékkek
>>
I haven't read Homestuck, but Prequel is pretty good. Kazerad still shows up on /co/ when invoked.
KAZERAD KAZERAD KAZERAD
Maybe we can ask him how /lit/ prequel is.
>>
Prequel is hardly better than your average deviantart webcomic
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.