[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>book you're currently reading >opinions on it so
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9
File: 1456340555240.jpg (120 KB, 1500x1201) Image search: [Google]
1456340555240.jpg
120 KB, 1500x1201
>book you're currently reading
>opinions on it so far
>books you'll read next
>>
- "Red Rising" by Pierce Brown

-I enjoy it so far. I've been making shit progress though

-Not sure what I'll read next
>>
>IJ
>pretty good, I understand why it's memed so much here but I still like it. I've been reading it very slowly and I think it will take me a long time to finish
>kafka's complete stories or no one writes to the colonel
>>
>>7811306
>Ulysses
>Almost done with it though. I'll read Molly's monologue tonight. It's undoubtedly a masterpiece. I never thought a novel could be so great and inventive at the same time. I feel like I should reread with supplemental material later.
>I have Mason & Dixon, Lolita and Blood Meridian to read, not sure which one I should pick up first.
>>
>>7811306
>The Night Land
>It's alright so far, I'm enjoying it for the most part. Just about halfway through and it gets a little repetitive at times.
>Either Altered Carbon or a collection of Algernon Blackwood stories.
>>
>>7811306
>Ulysses & Ulysses annotated
>Currently on Aeolus, my knowledge of rhetoric is pretty weak though.
>Probably Berlin Alexanderplatz, if not I'm going to try read some Shakespeare plays I haven't yet.
>>
>In Praise of Older Women
It's resonating with me emotionally, but I don't think I'm gonna get a milf gf
>>
Walden Two
I have a soft spot for utopian fiction, so I'm finding it pretty entertaining. Skinner has some surprising strengths as a writer, notably his descriptions of human interaction. A little weak plot-wise though.

Next up is Zarathustra (about a quarter way in already). I'm finding it a little hard to follow. Taking a class on it would be more productive.
>>
> Of Human Bondage
> It's good. The language is nice. The characters are compelling. The disillusionment is satisfying.
> Probably "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter".
>>
War of the worlds

Kinda boring desu i expected more. But ill finish. Anyone else?
>>
>>7811306
Ulysses, just like half of everyone on this board apparently. I've been reading the Oxford World's Classics edition, following along with the end notes and using a few online sources if I get confused.
Part of the way through Scylla and Charybdis, Buck Mulligan has just reappeared.
I feel like a fucking genius whenever I actually understand a Shakespeare reference, which has been a very small minority of them.

Was planning to read something in my backlog next, probably whatever is physically largest, since after reading this it will feel like cycling downhill.
>>
>Something Happened
Heller is really starting to grow on me, that much I'm sure of.
It's depressing. It's like the second half of Catch 22 turned into a different novel. I'd probably relate with it more if I had a corporate job, an unhappy marriage, and a retarded son, but I'm still feeling it.
I'll be reading The Trial once I'm done with this.
>>
The Prague Cemetery (Eco).
> No that good. A lot of historical data about the Italian independent movement and conspiracy plots (jews, illuminati, etc) that I simply don't care about.
>>
The Aeneid

I really like it, enjoying it more than Homer actually

Probably Metamorphoses
>>
>Moby Dick
I just started it, so I can't say too much, but so far I'm really enjoying Melville's writing style. He manages to flow between the different thoughts in Ishmael's head really well while still maintaining a certain level of proficiency, which I find can sometimes be lost in overly-conversational books.

I don't know what I'm going to read next, either Naked Lunch, Butcher's Crossing, or Cat's Cradle. I recently bought a collection of Murakami short stories, so I might start reading that as well.
>>
The razors edge.

50 pages to go. I like it.
>>
The Sound of Waves.
Pretty lightweight but beautiful images.
Probably some scifi or fantasy pulp.
>>
I'm reading The Fire Sermon by iforgetthename...
I heard it reviewed on the radio and I'm a twin so I thought I'd check it out.

It started off being original but it is just one cliché after another about 1/4 of the way through so I have practically given up, but if I give up it stops me reading rather than finding something else
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 400x400
>>7811542
>>7811399
>>7811363
>>7811344
>>7811308

> reading /lit/ meme books
> 2016
> r u rly this dumb m8
>>
>>7811306
>The Well Of Loneliness
>Better than expected. I like the writing style and the story is ever-involving, and can therefore surprise with new plot lines throughout the book.
>I'm thinking either A Wild Sheep Chase or Sense & Sensibility.
>>
>>7811344
Who are you quoting? Learn to greentext properly
>>
>growth of the soil by hamsun
>too many dead babies desu and fuck that cunt Barbro
>next: kon tiki by Heyerdahl
>>
>Gödel, Escher, Bach
Not as ''high IQ'' demanding as i thought it would be, the author looks like a retarded weasel. Bretty gud so far though.

Next book is The Brothers Karamazov.
>>
>The Lime Works by Thomas Bernhard
>Great, like all of Bernhard. I love how he tells you the ending of the story right at the beginning, and then builds up and adds layers and layers of meaning till you get to that moment. Also love his "fuck paragraphs, I'll just keep on writing" attitude.
>>
File: idioten I & II.png (133 KB, 388x259) Image search: [Google]
idioten I & II.png
133 KB, 388x259
The Idiot
I've only read 70 pages. I remember some parts/character portrayals from a couple of years ago when I wasn't so sure of if it would be a good starting point for getting into Dosto. However, now that I've also read some of his shorter stories I do enjoy his style of writing.
As a bonus there's also some nice artwork on the dust jackets.

Next up I'm thinking of dwelving into some of the Greek plays. Would The Oresteia be a good starting point or should I begin with the Antigone/Alkestis/Medea/Hippolytos ones instead?
>>
>Assassin's Apprentice, Book 1 of Farseer trilogy
100 pages in, decent but kind of slow paced. Nothing really happened yet. And probably book 2.
>>
>>7811731
>I do enjoy his style of writing.

How would you know if you've only read translations?
>>
I haven't read anything in months, I've moved on to movies I guess. Although I think I'll continue reading now maybe.

The pretentiousness within literature kindof grinded on my nerves, everyone is just such a fraud it hurts to be around people like that (even online).

I don't even know what I want from art, or how I can begin to be good enough to give back to it. I know it's the only thing for me though, I cannot stand those parametric equations and arc-length theorems. Really I just fucking hate math, and it was a big mistake going that direction for two years. It's too late to turn back now though.
>>
>>7811604

>Ulysses and Moby Dick
>/lit/ memes

ouchie
>>
>>7811743
Good point. The translation works for me I guess.
>>
File: film_myrabreckinridge_2.jpg (112 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
film_myrabreckinridge_2.jpg
112 KB, 640x360
>Myra Brekinridge
So far it has given me many confusing erections.

>Next Book
Coping with becoming a sissy fucboi by O Phaggot.
>>
Reading Elementary Particles by Houellebecq and Carsick by John Waters, almost done with both of them.

First one is great, already ordered more of his books, might be my new favourite writer.

Carsick is quite easy to read, sometimes funny, quite well written, but I guess if you're not a fan of John Waters, you can skip it.

I'll read Ficciones next
>>
>The Sound and the Fury, Faulkner
>Not very far in, and I tried reading it originally in high school and I couldn't get through it. After about 70 pages I had stopped to read other things. But so far I'm enjoying it, albeit relatively confused at all points.
>I'm just working through a reading list I have, so this next book has no correlation to my current one: The Picture of Dorian Grey. Following that I've got The Iliad (already read the Odyssey several times), then TCOL49, then Crime and Punishment.
>>
Solaris, ~40 pages in, reads pretty fast
good if a little simple and straightforward, easy to see it as source material not only for the films that are obviously based on it but also for lots of SF-horror in the Alien/Thing mold

rereading Ulysses with a group as well
>>
The wild palms.
Don't have yet an opinion
If i like it the next book will be as i lay dying. If not probably i'll read something from saramago or sepulveda, depending on how i fell that day
>>
slugging my way through l'etranger for french practice

absalom, absalom! is my main focus, also reading a bit of gravity and grace before bed.

i think i'll do go down, moses next, or maybe the coleridge collection I just picked up.
>>
Currently reading Mesmerized
Its ok, only 60 pages in
Next will be East of Eden or Walden
>>
It's really great to see so many people actually reading Ulysses. Good work, anons.
>>
>>7811306
>1984
>Slow and boring at the beginning.Things start to get interesting in the middle of book. Haven't finished yet (Procrastination and slow reading)
> The stranger by Camus
>>
"A Scanner Darkly"
Getting more and more intriguing as the plot thickens, I'll probably read more PKD after this one desu senpai.
>>
>Tender is the Night

>Pretty damn good so far

>Not sure at the moment. Open to suggestions though.
>>
>The Arabs
>Author takes a lot of rambling to explain a single event, but its interesting nonetheless.
>catch 22
>>
>the death of Ivan illyich and other stories
>read the raid, the woodfelling and three deaths so far. Despite the running theme of death the stories focus on different instances of such and usually stop soon after the death of a character. I think it's a deliberate choice so far, just showing how death happens, countless times, and that life (other stories) move on quicker than the characters grieving. I'm not used to thinking critically about booms and want to start more.
>I have a choice of like 5 books which I've bought recently, I'm not going to list them but most are common "lit core" I guess. Just catching up with classics I've never read.
>>
>>7811306
>The Quran.
>As shitty as I suspected.
>I dunno. Something by Nabokov.
>>
The Feminine Mystique

Not bad, easier to follow and less entirely outdated than The Second Sex.

Probably something covering the history of second wave feminism or intersectionality. I don't know what. Otherwise some nice schlocky SciFi.
>>
>>7812351
I just started this as my first Tolstoy and I'm only 50 or so pages into Family Happiness. So far it's a decent enough love story with no underlying depth; I'm a bit underwhelmed but it's too early to really make a proper judgment.
>>
Currently reading The Sun Also Rises, I loved A Farewell To Arms and I'm five chapters into this but hooked already. Not much has happened yet but the setting, characters and time period are all interesting and I can't wait to see where it goes.
>>
Platform by Houellebecq
Not bad, not his best though.
The Sports Gene by David Epstein, and The Moral Landscape by Sam Harris.
>>
>>7812424

Not sure what I'll read next I'm thinking Moby Dick or Butcher's Crossing.
>>
>>7812359
really? the translation I read was quite beautiful
>>
>>7811306
>Go Set a Watchmen
>It's really, really shit, author randomly babbles on about irrelevant nonsense (an entire page was once dedicated to a certain character's corset, and a comment was once made about the protagonists failure to drink the second half of her second cup of coffee as if it was some philosophical bombshell that was metaphorical for all of life and society or some shit)
>Probably going back to reading T.S. Eliot all day, I bought Ulysses but I don't really want to read it
>>
Sot-Weed Factor

Really digging it. Some of the history dumps are near incomprehensible to me and the narrative seems to be made up as it goes along but on a scene and sentence basis I'm having a great time.
Might read Giles Goat Boy next if I'm still having as good a time with Sot-Weed by the time I reach the back cover.

Couldn't reccomend this more to fans of M&D
>>
>>7811753
It'll get better anon, put yourself into the right community and you will find /lit/ friends who aren't ostentatious. What movies have you been watching?
>>
>>7811753
>The pretentiousness within literature kindof grinded on my nerves, everyone is just such a fraud it hurts to be around people like that (even online).
You sound like a prissy, insecure little faggot. 'Literature' is not pretentious, you just have a complex that anything you don't understand nobody else does either.

Besides if community matters enough to you that bad community stops you from reading it's not the art you're in it for anyway. Talk about 'fraud'.

Just fuck off to /tv/ so we don't have to hear you whine. I'm sure it'll be a week over there before you start claiming people are frauds only pretending to like Antonioni as well.
>>
Just finished Beware of Pity by Zweig, currently reading the Basic Writings of Heidegger and Ovid's Metamorphoses. Will likely read Human all too Human and Death in Venice next
>>
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Enjoying it so far - I like his writing style and find the characters engrossing and humerous. Gonna read Catch 22 or The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles next
>>
>>7812565
Check your reading comprehension anon, it is pretty clear that he is saying that the literary community is often pretentious, not the literature itself.

Also don't undersell the importance of discussion in art appreciation. Especially don't undersell it while posting on an art discussion board.
>>
>pic related
>I'm at the cyclops cave. Enjoying it a lot so far, it's a pretty easy read and I like the translation. Working my way towards Ulysses
>Hamlet (again)
>>
File: count.jpg (75 KB, 510x680) Image search: [Google]
count.jpg
75 KB, 510x680
>Count of Monte Cristo
>About 500 pages in and not a lot of revenge has happened so far. Still a real fun read, doesn't feel like I read 500 pages.
>Probably going try and read Paradise Lost again now that I've brushed up on my obscure biblical references
>>
>>7811306
the politically incorrect guide to the history of brazil by leandro narloch

very interesting stuff and i enjoy the writting style. i liked it that he put all the bibliographical references at the end of each chapter.
>>
Currently reading V.
Never read Pynchon before, and I'm only about 70 pages in, but I really like it. Shit's pretty fun.
Will probably read Blood Meridian next.
>>
>>7811306

Human Condition - H. Arendt

Hard to follow, first two chapters is just verbal diarrhea (prolly intro to her argument), talking a lot about the greeks and their thoughts on the private and public. Can't really make sense out of it where she is going. Still need to read more I think. Her prose is sick tho.
>>
>>7812642

also next going into Camus. Haven't read him yet.
>>
>>7812616
I didn't know monkeys could use the internet.
>>
Currently reading In The Heart of The Heart of The Country by William H. Gass.

Thanks Gassposter for selling me on this, really enjoying it so far. Almost finished with the Pederson Kid and am very impressed by how beautiful the language is able to be while still seeming authentic to both the young narrator and the setting. Also the character interaction is surprisingly interesting considering how stereotypical the characters seem at the beginning.

I want to read more country stuff, I'm thinking either Butcher's Crossing, Blood Meridian, or Go Down Moses. I have read and enjoyed Faulkner and Williams in the past so I feel that all of these books would be safe bets.
>>
>>7811344
I've read Lolita and Blood Meridian and they were both fantastic, you can't go wrong with either. Blood Meridian had some parts where I slowed down and I had to keep a dictionary on hand but it was worth it. How much background did you have going into Ulysses and how have you been faring? I'm going to read the Oxford World's Classics edition soon and I feel about as prepared as I can be without going overboard.
>>
File: pimp-796963.jpg (72 KB, 621x1024) Image search: [Google]
pimp-796963.jpg
72 KB, 621x1024
>Pimp: The Story of My Life by Iceberg Slim
>I don't know if I could honestly call it good, but it's interesting and I'm having a great time reading it. It could do with being a bit shorter and having a better glossary of the slang used.
>Not sure, thinking about giving Lolita a re-read
>>
Nearly done with A Month in the Country. Pretty comfy stuff. There have been a few funny and touching bits in the pages I've just read - I really like Carr's understated way of writing humour. Even the in my opinion clumsily inserted and heavy-handed conversations about the war retain a fair amount of warmth.

Will probably read A Clockwork Orange next.
>>
Infinite Jest

It's long-winded, but definitely worth it. I'm about a third of the way through it. I'll need to start reading more than like five pages a day if I want to finish it within the next few months.

I'm gonna restart with the Greeks.
>>
>book you're currently reading
Narcissus and Goldmund
>opinions on it so far
It was really good for the first hundred pages or so and then got incredibly boring. I hope it gets good again.
>books you'll read next
One Hundred Years of Solitude
>>
>Emmanuel Carrère -- Limonov

Carrère's semi-autobiographic writing style is somewhat annoying, but Limonov's actual life is interesting, although his ideology is flawed to the highest degree (I guess that's the point of the book, though, I just dislike him).

>next: The Idiot

I didn't want to delve back into Russian lit but got sucked in anyway, dang.
>>
>>7811670
My Man. I like Hamsun, though earlier is better imo
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.