[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Introduction to Philosophy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
I am searching for books which go through different schools of thought and touch on modern philosophy as well as ethics. Is there a decent introduction? If not, were should I start?
inb4 pleb stuff
>>
the lit wiki philosophy guide
>>
>>7811122
lol he's not gonna read those hundreds of books. yeah just read that text, even though it's abridged af. if you're into ethics check out the nicomachean ethics and groundwork of the metaphysic of morals
>>
maybe even j.s. mill's on liberty though i'm biased because i hate it
>>
>>7811156

there are good recommendations for what op wants in the lit philosophy guide you imbecile
>>
>>7811118
good, but must be read in view of Russell's own philosophical beliefs, so he kinda misrepresents a few somewhat
>>
>>7811189
>a few
>somewhat
A massive understatment. He was oblivious to the entire middle ages, everything from Augustine to Ocham and all of existentialism. That's 1000 years of not understand the history of what you are writing about.
>>
>>7811203
>That's 1000 years of not understand the history

You just outed yourself as a dumbass non-english speaking postmodernist. Try again
>>
>>7811208
I'm not English speaking, but I'm hardly a postmodernist. He has the fuck idea of everything since Augustine who wrote around year 400 to Ocham who wrote in the 14th century if I'm not mistaken... Russel is an idiot if you want to read him for his non mathematics. His atheism is stupid as fuck and his history of philosophy is terrible and his on marriage is literal cucking.
>>
>>7811203
>everything from Augustine to Ocham
You've just about exhausted the medieval philosophers who most people actually care about. Unless you're actively studying the period, or very interested in theology, you don't need much more.

That other anon was right, Russell is biased as fuck, BUT I still recommend OP as a legitimately good started/reference book. The problems only really matter when you're deep into philosophy already and by that time you'll be trained to spot them. Continentals and the British idealists largest fucked over by Russell tho.
>>
>>7811118
do not read this

russel was an ass
>>
G R E E K S
R
E
E
K
S
>>
File: 0886.gif (478 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
0886.gif
478 KB, 300x169
>>7811208
>non-english speaking postmodernist
>>
>>7811118
Copleston's History of Philosophy
>>
>>7811118
Just check wikipedia for the various subfields of philosophy. Then start by reading some of the important canonical works. Then get a philosophical dictionary for the specific terms and use online ressources like the stanford encyclopedia of philosophy to look further into the fields that interest you.
>>
Someone post ALL of the 11 philosophy guides and that will help this person out.
>>
Look, philosophy isn't something that you'll have a good grasp on after reading a secondary text or two. Philosophy is a way of life. Go to the primary texts, and spend the rest of your life reading the greats and the not so greats.

Start with the Greeks.
>>
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
>>
>>7811118
Whitehead's Science and the Modern World ist vastly superior to his hack of a colleague's overcited pleb history, at least when it comes to metaphysics and epistemology. And it's even comprehensible, which is somewhat surprising for Whitehead.
>>
>>7814570
Ah, yes, Earl Russell the Pleb.
>>
Just read it OP. It's not perfect, but it's fine and it will get you started.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.