[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious question, why does /lit/ have such pleb taste? Reading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12
File: 1447631278755.jpg (689 KB, 1920x2379) Image search: [Google]
1447631278755.jpg
689 KB, 1920x2379
Serious question, why does /lit/ have such pleb taste? Reading /lit/ is like ease dropping on a high school sophomore book club. The most discussed authors and books here are all mainstream entry-level trash.

Every other board prides themselves on having obscure, esoteric, often bordering on contrarian taste. Ask /tv/ for a list of their favourite films and you'll get a list akin to:
Goodbye Dragon Inn
Hard to be a God
Moe no Suzaku
Tussenstand
Je, tu, il, Elle
Il deserto rosso
The Spirit of the Beehive
A Woman Under the Influence
Vivre sa Vie
Ascenseur pour l'échafaud
LA_VIE_A_L_ENVERS
Scener ur ett äktenskap
麦秋
Shadow of a doubt
Viridiana
Mouchette
Höstsonaten
Aguirre Wrath Of God
大红灯笼高高挂
Лeтят жypaвли

Ask /mu/, /a/ or literally any other board for some recs and you're bound to get a similarly esoteric, non entry-level list.
Ask your average red/lit/tor for their favourite books and you'll get an unironic list of books by entry-level meme authors that wouldn't be out of place on a community college undergrads bookshelf. Most likely something like:
DFW
Bolano
Bukowski
Pynchon
Danielewski
Zizek
Joyce
Nabakov
Dostoevsky
Kafka
Gaddis

So /lit/, I ask you, why is your taste so pleb? Is it because this entire board a meme, in which no one actually reads? Are you all just pseuds and poseurs that treat 'reading' as an accessory to your appearance? Or maybe reading has become too large of a barrier to entry these days and I'm just expecting to much out of /lit/s obviously young ADD-riddled demographic
>>
a lot of them are pseuds with fomo
>>
>>7810383
Shoo retard, shoo
>>
>>7810390
Answer my question first.
>>
Lit actually reads.
>>
Lurk moar
>>
"it sounds french so it must be good!"
>>
how are most of those even entry level?
What would you suggest instead?
>>
>>7810383
because people fall for the >reading translations meme
>>
>>7810404
>asking for suggestions

you already lost
>>
>>7810383
>ease dropping
eaves, anon. like in a house.
>early 17th century: back-formation from eavesdropper (late Middle English) ‘a person who listens from under the eaves’, from the obsolete noun eavesdrop ‘the ground on to which water drips from the eaves’, probably from Old Norse upsardropi, from ups ‘eaves’ + dropi ‘a drop’.

You also can't tell memes from canon, but then you can't words either so...
>>
>>7810416
Ok?
>>
>Gaddis
>Mainstream
>>
File: 1445490335856.jpg (112 KB, 488x366) Image search: [Google]
1445490335856.jpg
112 KB, 488x366
>>7810393
Whats there to answer? Either you're completely oblivious to the content most of the boards you've mentioned regurgitate or you're just trolling. Off with you
>>
>>7810417
>help me i can't words
>>
File: 1456047466113.png (92 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1456047466113.png
92 KB, 400x400
>>7810417
Here come the grammar nazis desperately trying to rebuild what little ego they have left after being completely annihilated by OP by pointing out tiny grammatical errors as if that somehow disproves anything in the original post.
>>
>>7810428

what was proved
>>
It would take longer to read just Infinite Jest by the memest of meme authors than to watch every single one of those films back to back and listen to the complete works of your average /mu/tard's favorites list. Reading In Search of Lost Time or something like that and you could add the entirety of /a/'s back catalogue. Reading isn't a passive activity like watching TV or listening to music, so in terms of engaging mentally with the media, there's no comparison to be drawn there.

Beyond that, many of those authors you've listed are popular simply because they're good. There's no point in being deliberately esoteric or contrarian because that's just childish.

>>7810428
It certainly demonstrates that despite what OP thinks, his grasp of the English language is poorer than many of ours, he hasn't even mastered the basics. Little bit silly really.
>>
>>7810440
/lit/ is pleb af
>>
>>7810442
how was that proven
>>
>>7810428
>he believes in grammar but not in philology
Leave, anon. You haven't done us the basic courtesy of reading Nietzsche which even the edgy teens do. You mention these things because your scope of imagination is castrated by your own choices.
>>
>ease dropping
op i doubt you can even read
>>
>>7810446
We held a plebiscite.
>>
>>7810451

I don't think so
>>
>>7810451
clodius pulcher i domum
>>
>>7810441
This, try estimating the amount of time you'd have to spend reading just to get through /lit/s top 100 once. Then do the same for /mu/s and /tv/s lists.
Also, maybe mainstream books are better than mainstream movies, because the critics of literature are better.
Or at least it's easier to find decent critics.
Besides, discussing well known classics would be like /mu/ discussing classical music. Just fucking try to name an obscure composer that is better than Bach.
>>
>>7810475
>>7810441
>subvocalizing mouthbreathing retards detected
>>
>>7810482
Maybe if you didn't skim-read you'd have the reading comprehension to know the difference between eaves and ease.
>>
>>7810383
because If i wanted to I could watch all those movies in about 2 weeks, and I have seen most of them. So it is easy to go through the mainstream and pleb and historically important films, and then right into the obscure.

But in terms of reading, it might take multiple years just to read the starter literature like 'the greeks'. the bible, shakespeare, beckett, woolf etc

Lastly, you need a serious amount of time to read obscure books. With obscure films, if it sucks, it doesn't matter b/c it is over in 2 or 3 hours. With obscure books you might be dedicating 20-30 hours on something, so it is better to read what is considered great already.
>>
File: impossible autism.jpg (57 KB, 567x561) Image search: [Google]
impossible autism.jpg
57 KB, 567x561
>>7810383
>Why does X not have good taste like me, Y, and Z?
>Here's a list of things I find good from Y and Z
>Don't you know that watching foreign movies and liking foreign women makes you a "patrician?"
>How dare these "plebs" watch what I don't like!
>Why aren't you all edgy and contrarian like me?
>>
>>7810482
>not subvocalizing Proust
omg why would you even do that? reading that for plot makes you an even bigger faggot than Proust
>>
>>7810383
Because it's far quicker to take a chance on an obscure movie or song than a book
>>
>>7810383
/mu/ is entry level as fuck, who are you trying to kid?
>>
File: 1456241425644.png (244 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1456241425644.png
244 KB, 500x375
>All the people seriously replying to this incredibly obvious bait
>>
>>7810543
>yfw you responded to the bait by making fun of people for responding to the bait.
>>
File: 1453848168897.jpg (118 KB, 1300x974) Image search: [Google]
1453848168897.jpg
118 KB, 1300x974
>>7810554
>mfw you respond to my bait response mocking others for responding to this bait thread
YOU'VE FALLEN INTO MY TRAP, ANON, MY RUSE. NOW THAT YOU HAVE BEEN ENSNARED IN MY WEB OF IRONY, I WILL MOCK YOU WITH PICTURES OF AN ACUTE AND PARTICULARLY UPSETTING SMUGNESS. PLEASE DIVERT YOUR ATTENTION TO THE PHOTO ON THE RIGHT, WHICH CLEARLY SHOWS YOU BEING DOMINATED BY MY SUPERIOR MIND.
>>
>>7810591
Sorry m8 I don't care if the b8 is responded 2 or not. That's your battle. I'm just making fun of u.
So this is still my ruse, champ.
Or should I say...
CHUMP!!!
>>
>>7810591
PS that post u responded 2 was none other than bona-fide, board-certified, premium freerange grass-fed B8.
>>
>>7810598
chum is the term for shark bait: not to be confused with the Pacific salmon variety which is also called chum; champ, the Irish dish made from adding scallions and milk and butter to mashed potatoes; or, chump, the cut of meat from lower back above the loin in pork or lamb. pls lrn2word, chum
>>
File: Chump.png (127 KB, 1604x984) Image search: [Google]
Chump.png
127 KB, 1604x984
>>7810619
I wont let u win
>>
>>7810598
AH BUT YOU SEE YOU HAVE FALLEN INTO MY TRUE TRAP. I MERELY WANTED YOU TO THINK THAT MY RESPONSE TO YOUR RESPONSE TO MY RESPONSE TO THIS THREAD WAS MY RUSE, BUT THIS IS, IN FACT, MY RUSE.

ABANDON ALL HOPE, ANONYMOUS, FOR YOU HAVE ENTERED MY REALM, MY ARENA, WHERE THE LINE BETWEEN SINCERITY AND IRONY HAS BEEN BROKEN, SNAPPED, CRACKED, WHERE THE RAFT HAS BROKEN, AND THE WATERS FLOW FREE LIKE A BULL LIKE A TRUCK LIKE A TRAIN LIKE A HURRICANE, WHERE THE WINDS OF MY WRATH BEAT UPON THE VERY MINDS OF MY SUBJECTS, AND FILL THE VACANCIES WITH THE SENSE OF VANISHED HOPE THAT SOON--VERY SOON--YOU SHALL SCREAM OUT THE ESTUARIES OF TIME AND INTO THE NOTHING OF UNETERNITY.
>>
>>7810630
I speak British English; I already won.
>>
File: ChumpBrit.png (157 KB, 1604x984) Image search: [Google]
ChumpBrit.png
157 KB, 1604x984
>>7810639
My ally

>>7810635
Did ur capslock key break?
>>
>>7810639
>Hiberno-English_laughing_into_its_pint.webm
>>
File: van.jpg (4 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
van.jpg
4 KB, 184x184
>>7810591
>responding to bait responding to a bait about responding to bait
>>
>>7810619
>>7810635
PS lowkey think ur Plankton.
>>
File: medium_2760640158.jpg (62 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
medium_2760640158.jpg
62 KB, 500x357
>>7810648
>>7810651
>>7810654
YET AGAIN, CAUGHT IN MY SINISTER SNARE, YOU HAVE ALL BEEN. GIVE UP: YOU WILL NEVER SURFACE.
>>
This nigger trolling so hard. Yall stupid.
>>
>>7810383
TV is filled with capeshit, blacked threads, cunnie posters, and tons of popular stuff.

Just like lit
Just like mu
And no I'm not formatting my names correctly just for you

You just don't understand the cultures, really. Your fault for not getting it
>>
>>7810383
post sharpie in buthole
>>
>>7810383
Thanks for the film list and qt

I don't know why you consider the authors you listed to be entry-level. Popular, meme-y, sure.
But does it really bother you so much that they aren't obscure? Why?
>>
goodbye dragon inn was a really comfy flick
>>
>other boards have esoteric and contrarian taste
>why isn't /lit/ the same as other boards??

I think comparing reading to listening music and watching anime isn't exactly achievable. Like others have said the time and effort it takes to read a book vs the other activities is objectively greater. there is also a sweeping anti intellectual movement when it comes to literature that has been promoting authors based on certain demographic elements rather than their content. This makes /lit/s choices more esoteric and contrarian over time -- not that it matters.

The point above all is to read great literature, and to have great discussions and dank memes.
>>
The argument is already invalid because cinema is a terrible excuse for an art form. Try again.
>>
>>7810383
lit isn't talking about pleb author like levy, musso,... and there's much more author talked on lit than the few you posted plus there's always one or two philosophy thread going on so i'd say it's about the same

Also tv never talks about those film, they literally only talk about capeshit movies
>>
>>7810774
You never saw any good film
Cinema is life
>>
>>7810774
>kubrick
>>
>>7810420
How is he not?
>>
>>7810383
>dem freckles
>round cute face
>smile

tfw no gf
>>
ZIZEK IS SHIT.

kafka deserves all the praises he gets and even more and more and more.
>>
File: 1440442563045.jpg (2 MB, 7680x4320) Image search: [Google]
1440442563045.jpg
2 MB, 7680x4320
>>7810383

>Ask /mu/ and you're bound to get a similarly esoteric, non entry-level list.
>>
>>7810383
>Nabakov
>>
>>7810383
Ok then OP how did you find Finnegans Wake, was it more challenging and insightful than sitting on your fat plebian ass and watching a faggoty french film?
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.