[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where does it lay the inception of Dante Alighieri's vision
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: dante-i-simoniaci-canto-xix.jpg (142 KB, 609x762) Image search: [Google]
dante-i-simoniaci-canto-xix.jpg
142 KB, 609x762
Where does it lay the inception of Dante Alighieri's vision for Hell in his comedy?

His Hell contains characters coming from pagan mythology as well, but how does one distinguishes between the conception of hell in the middle ages betweeen pagan beliefs and the christian vision?
>>
I was taught the beauty was in the marriage of the two, and that when one tallies it all up there's a balance between the biblical and pagan allusions
>>
File: 9-CS.jpg (202 KB, 1024x825) Image search: [Google]
9-CS.jpg
202 KB, 1024x825
>>7809363
Well beside that I think is a bit hypocritical for this vision to borrow concepts from whom they called "heathens/infidels", I do like it, but I feel like I have no idea where my vision stands, time-wise, what did Giotto pick up the ideas to paint this, the last judgement?
That seems a sort of Demon but is blue.
>>
>>7809330
Pre-New Testament, Gods were regularly borrowed and shared throughout the mediterranean. Conquer Egypt? Enjoy your new Pantheon.

Remnants of the original thought likely remained until the times of Dante. Perhaps these Gods exist, but our God reigns supreme.
>>
>>7809330
>Where does it lay the inception of Dante Alighieri's vision for Hell in his comedy?

Aristotle's ethics and Aeneas' trip to the underworld in Virgil.

>how does one distinguishes between the conception of hell in the middle ages betweeen pagan beliefs and the christian vision?

People back in the Middle Ages wouldn't have made such a distinction.
>>
>>7809560
In general terms, I can understand that Dante was attached to the "old school Ipse Dix It for Cosmology, but, is Hell, with these demons, trying to put a sense, rather than deny the pagan myths, explaining creatures as demons that paved way for Earth?

Is Dante's Inferno a reconciliation? Or Dante really liked making references to other works just like the authors of today do.
>>
The Greek conception of the Underworld crafted by Homer, which came into Roman thought through Virgil, which was woven into Christianity by Dante
>>
>>7809417
>I think is a bit hypocritical for this vision to borrow concepts from whom they called "heathens/infidels"
Nobody intelligent in 1300 thought that heathens were 100% wrong about everything all the time. This particularly goes for pre-Christian Antiquity.
>>
>>7809631
This.

You are approaching this entirely incorrectly.

Dante is a learned, virtuous man. However, he is also a Christian, a serious Christian, not a false or pretend Christian. Dante believes that Hell is absolutely a real place.

Therefore, when he reads about the descriptions of the underworld in Homer and Virgil, he doesn't think "Wow! I love their versions of the underworld! I'll base my version on theirs!" He thinks, "Wow, I wonder if they didn't have some knowledge of this underworld, which absolutely exists. Since I myself have never been to the underworld, I will trust their authority and assume there is something truthful in their account of it, and so my version of the accurate underworld will be based on theirs."

The modern approach to Dante's cosmology totally misses the fact that for him, the places the poet character visits are very real and do actually exist.
>>
>>7809676
Would it not make, his Comedy about his fictious trip rather pretentious? If he really thought those were real, pairing it with something that should somehow redeem humanity or be an instruction manual on what to expect and what not to do, seems a way to make a prophet out of yourself.

I don't like him as a person but it seems like it would far exceed his ego.
>>
>>7809417
Most of European Christianity is pagan shit with a veneer of Christ.
>>
>>7810139
>Most of European Christianity is pagan shit with a veneer of Christ.
>amerifags running around with "Jesus Trump" t-shirts

Heatens.
>>
>>7809676
This is wrong. Dante's cosmology is and has always been allegorical.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.