[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"Woman has hitherto been treated by men like birds,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: Nietzsche1882.jpg (329 KB, 1274x1700) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche1882.jpg
329 KB, 1274x1700
>"Woman has hitherto been treated by men like birds, which, losing their way, have come down among them from an elevation: as something delicate, fragile, wild, strange, sweet, and animating—but as something also which must be cooped up to prevent it flying away."

Am I completely misinterpreting what he wrote, or did Nietzsche actually say something nice about women?
>>
Nietzsche liked women.
>>
>>7808882
'the perfect woman is a higher type of human than the perfect man, and also something much more rare'.
>>
>>7808900
The nonexistent is extremely rare tbqh
>>
>>7808900
Well I'll be damned. Is there a possibility that Nietzsche isn't the /r9k/ philosopher I've read so much about?
>>
>>7808957
He's not really going to fit in any box that you might like to cram him into
>>
>>7808991
>Assuming I'm actually trying to put him into a box.
Any notion I had of him as a staunch misogynist were all due in part to things I've read about him, not my own personally formed views, as I actually haven't read much of his work.
>>
>>7808882
Nietzsche was pretty smart but many people forget he was a total autist
>>
>>7808882

No.
Hes saying that lofty notions of femininity are misguided.
>>
Nietzsche fucking adored women and admired their ability to create life to the point of fetishization. They are, in his eyes, by and large not childish enough to become ubermensch.
>>
>>7809055
Could you enlight a poor mind on nietzsche' autism?
>>
File: 1450753884894.jpg (117 KB, 1920x1087) Image search: [Google]
1450753884894.jpg
117 KB, 1920x1087
>>7808882
he says that only betas think that women are connected to purity and fragility.

in fact, if one sex must have this adjectives, it is men who are pure and fragile.
>>
>>7809095
>>7809507
Well damn son, this is news to me.
>>
>>7808882
Nietzsche said both nice and less nice things about women. Like most honest men.
>>
>>7808991
What a deleuzian thing to say, which is fitting given Deleuze was a nietzschen
>>
>>7809101
Dude was literally a fedora wearing "In this moment i am enlightened, not by some phony god but by my own intelligence" the person. He was that guy who said "Im way ahead of my time, no ones smart enough to understand me" but god damn he was absolutely right, in his life his books sold in the 2-3 digits range and he wandered around with an untreated case syphilis from an italian prostitute
>>
>>7809576
This, just like his master Schopenhauer before him.
>>
>>7809657
>still buys into the syphilis meme

Update your Nietzsche scholarship, lad. Brain cancer is the going theory now.
>>
>>7809665
Everything is conjecture at this point but fucking a prostitute seems like Nietzsche's way to go
>>
;lk
>>
>ITT delusional women
>>
>>7809657
Low quality bait.
>>
>>7809665

I read an article about the brain cancer hypothesis. It wasn't very convincing.
>>
>>7809670
No, you can't pick the coolest, least likely theory because it fits your narrative.
>>
>>7808957
its still kind of a backhanded statement to women.

though i still agree with it
>>
>>7809044
>I never read him but I'll shitpost about his work anyways

wew lad

Nietzsche's views on women weren't that different from Mary Wollstonecraft's (as in, the creator of feminism)
>>
>>7810701

Same goes for the brain cancer theory ťbh fàm
>>
>>7809649
oh just fuck off would you?
>>
From Human, All Too Human:

>Man kann in den drei oder vier civilisirten Ländern Europa’s aus den Frauen durch einige Jahrhunderte von Erziehung Alles machen, was man will, selbst Männer, freilich nicht in geschlechtlichem Sinne, aber doch in jedem anderen Sinne.

Translation: with education you can make out of women anything you like, even men (of course not in the sexual sense but in anything else)

in other words: women are different but that's only society/education
>>
>>7810832
so he was literally wrong
>>
>>7808882

It doesn't matter whether he was writing something which dullards would today construe as sexist, whether that is seemingly benevolent, as in this case, or more Schopy if he happened to be in a bad mood that day.

The more important point about Nietzsche's thoughts on women is that he had the good fortune to be active at a time of manners, before the wars, before society collapsed. And this meant that men were free to shitpost and mansplain (mansplaining is a good thing) and not be harangued by their women over it - at least, not to the vulgar and highly public extent that it happens today.

If a Nietzsche dared to write anything about women today, I can guarantee that all the incoming would be variations on one theme, this: "What would YOU know about it, VIRGIN?! OMG." Nietzsche would be made ridiculous in the midst of today's vulgarity, and he would not be respected.

Too bad about the STD, desu.
>>
>>7811070
He was talking about women's place in society. Each man is his own type applies here, you can't educate a natural born idiot. But you can change the order of society to say that women are equal to men, which is something that has empirically happened. Of course, generally speaking, women have different preferences than men. But one thing about Nietzsche is that generalities are essentially bullshit to him because again, each man is his own type. Anything other than this is a lie so old that we have forgotten it was a lie.

He was generally opposed to feminism because it was a class action and egalitarian in nature, women as a group should not be who struggles for the equality of women, it should be women as individuals who do so. The superior woman will assume her place of greatness without regard to her breeding while the inferior will be relegated to her natural place.
>>
>>7810714
>Post a question regarding a quotation that didn't really fit into my cursory knowledge of a subject, hoping others would elaborate and maybe spark some discussion.
>Get called shitposting

Damn desu
>>
Anyone criticizing Nietzsche for being misogynistic should remember that our birth rates are so low that our societies are literally dying.
>>
What should I read by Nietzsche to get a grip on his views on women?
>>
>>7810824
No it doesn't. Read more books.
>>
>>7808882
I only read the Zarathustra, and I actually got the feeling that all of his lines commonly interpreted as misogynist actually criticize the gender role performed by women.
>>
>"Women are considered deep - why? Because one can never discover any bottom to them. Women are not even shallow." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Women are immense canyons of vapidity to this guy. Yes, he was a sexist.
>>
He was really Hip...their generation, well advanced. He may have been commenting ,
Spoken reaction, especially, among woman...
Remember, "I'll eat everything you say, until, it turns into cream in my mouth."...
>>
>>7812111
He scatters his thoughts on women throughout his works in such a diffuse way that I can only tell you to read everything. His thoughts on women change throughout his life, as he is cucked by his one love and betrayed by his sister. Generally speaking, his sentiment is that women are fine and most of the things society understands as being true of women are in reality just lies that have endured for so long nobody remembers that they are lies. More or less how he understands criminals: In a different context, many of them would be held to be very virtuous men. Had the murderer joined the army and killed a hundred men for his nation he would get ribbons instead of the rope.

>>7812224
Yeah, even though Zarathustra had such a tiny distribution during his life people still misconstrued the whip comment in particular, which was partially why he posed for that silly photo with Salome.
>>
>>7812224
>actually criticize the gender role performed by women

so if he's only criticizing "the gender role" what the fuck does he actually want then? according to nietzsche should women occupy "the gender role" that men traditionally occuppied? should women be men?

if so then The Grand Fedoralord would be a huge fan of the 21st century
>>
File: 1358894027984.gif (893 KB, 200x166) Image search: [Google]
1358894027984.gif
893 KB, 200x166
>>7809576
>>
>>7808957
Of course he isn't, he also despised ressentiment with a passion while /r9kucks wallow in it daily.
>>
>>7814375
nietzsche is resentiment made flesh; his entire catalogue of writing is whining by a sickly wagner fanboy who wishes he was a warrior
>>
>>7809649
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7808882
Why are you so impressed?
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.