[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your thoughts your thoughts on "The Little Prince"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: Littleprince.jpg (31 KB, 343x429) Image search: [Google]
Littleprince.jpg
31 KB, 343x429
What are your thoughts your thoughts on "The Little Prince" /lit/?
>>
it was saint-exupery's suicide note.
>>
pretty much the perfect kids book
>>
>>7808497
>>7808499
Suicide notes = best kid's books.
>>
>>7808499
Yes, but how do you feel about it term to adults?
>>
I got sucked into the narrative, it's a pretty fun read, and I tried to buy into his idea that adults have lost meaning of what is truly important but as I tried exploring this I couldn't really define anything that defends being an adult. Anyway, being a child is the best thing ever and theyre closer to beauty and goodness than we ever will be. It may as well be a suicide note
>>
>>7808546

> But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.
>>
>>7808529
that it's pretty much the perfect kids book
>>
>>7808492
i hate it so much.

i can´t stand the way the characters were developed. Some of the messages are superficial or forced.

seems like an unpopular opinion, but well...
>>
>>7808492
I like it a lot. People focus too much on the Kid vs Adult thing, but I'd say that's just the surface level, and the real conflict is really more Individual vs Society. The zany individuals encountered on planets are only zany because they have no society to hold up their zaniness and say 'this is good and acceptable and normal, because it serves us.'

The anecdote about the astronomer at the beginning is less poetic than the anecdote about the drawing of the elephant-eating-snake, but I think they share a message that the reality of the world is secondary to how people perceive that reality. That subjectivity is another major theme that I think the book deals with really well, the encounters on Earth with the field of roses and Fox being excellent examples.

Really, I think the strongest thing about the book is how the symbolism is multifaceted and deals with some complex concepts- it's not some flatlining morality tale, it's full of roiling and unresolved depths.
>>
>>7808546
Children are cruel little monsters who lack any self awareness, where do you get this goodness idea from?
>>
>>7809235
Not mine, st-exupery
I'm more akin with Augustine's idea that children are all tiny devil's deserving of going to hell
>>
While childhood is an obvious important aspect the topic of love and relationships seemed more important to me. I feel the purpose of the book is the reason you care for those you love, they are important not because they are similar to you but because of the bonds people create. Love can only be created with time. The flower repersenting the prince's first love and how he learns it is important as it is his flower and no one elses really shows this, also the relationship between the pilot and prince displayed this. Call me immature but it honestly stands as one of my favorite books ever written.
>>
>>7808492
Fun little read with some amusing/somewhat salient points.

I liked his conceptualization of courtship and love - taming the fox
>>
as already said... pretty good book for kids
and pretty good pretend philosophy for older people

on the other hand, it's kinda like remarque - people love it, but it's a bit bland in the end

-) alright read, but i hate the fact that people make it out to be insanely deep holy book of the ultimate self help
>>
>>7808492
I think if you get past the "2 Deep 4 Kids Philosophy Hidden in a Kid's Book" hype it's really very good - strong writing, at times very moving
>>
>>7808913
Well, it certainly lent itself to a certain uplifting memery. The fox bit has been reused everywhere, it's so sappy it hurts.
>>
6/10
>>
>>7809497
So much this
>>
>>7808492
I came to hate it because every pseudo-spiritual 20 something I know can't stop quoting it randomly.
Too bad, cause the book itself is good.
>>
>>7808492
it's overrated

maybe i don't get it but i don't see any meaning in it
>>
Second-rate, ephemeral, puffed-up. Dislike it immensely. Author is a nonentity, means absolutely nothing to me.
>>
>>7808492
it's sad to read because you can feel saint exupery's personal pain
>>
File: vaniteux.jpg (42 KB, 365x562) Image search: [Google]
vaniteux.jpg
42 KB, 365x562
u jelly?

u mirin?
>>
In terms of really good childhood books, The Neverending Story > The Little Prince

prove me wrong
>>
>>7810696
daha
>>
>>7810696
that'd be a neat tattoo
>>
>The clerk said to save time. Experts had calculated that a pill to quench thirst would save you 53 minutes a week.
>“If I had fifty-three minutes to spend as I liked,” the little prince said to himself, “I’d walk very slowly toward a water fountain….”
What did he mean by this? His thirst would already be quenched, why walk then towards a water fountain? Is this autism at its purest?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.