[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need something easy to read whilst I slog through Ulysses.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (321 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
321 KB, 1280x1024
I need something easy to read whilst I slog through Ulysses. Does /lit/ recommend The Canterbury Tales or anything by Hemingway? I tried Faulkner, but I can't do two stream of consciousness books.
>>
Hemingway is grade-school tier prose and easy as pie. Canterbury Tales is really garbage as literature and more relevant as a historical artifact.
>>
>>7807963
>I've never read these things, I just come on /lit/ and steal people's opinions

Hemingway would be fine OP, but I'd recommend Tolstoy's short stories personally.

Hadji Murat
Ivan Ilyich
Kreutzer Sonata
Prisoner of the Caucasus
The Devil

You could also just read Dubliners and Portrait of the Artist assuming that you haven't read them already. If you haven't then I highly recommend it.
>>
>>7807947
The Sun also Rises is a nice, easy book to read.

It is kind of sad though, it's about the WW1 generation after the war, trying to continue to live. I like it enough to have reread it a few times, the character Robert Cohn in particular is interesting.
>>
>>7807989
Too thanks, senpai. This may sound pleb, but does Hadji have any action in it? I know it's about war. I could use a little excitement.
>>
File: Harold_Bloom_7536.jpg (330 KB, 1600x1050) Image search: [Google]
Harold_Bloom_7536.jpg
330 KB, 1600x1050
>>7808030
>does X have any action
>>
>>7808030
Yes it does have action in it, it's probably the best short story/novella I've ever read.

I have to ask anon, why are you reading Ulysses and what makes you think you're ready for it?
>>
>>7808060
I've read both Dubliners and Portrait and enjoyed them throughly. I'm enjoying the challenge so far. It's been a very rewarding, comic, and beautifully written book.
>>
>>7808035
>Implying excitement is not a valid want from a work of art
>Implying entertainment cannot be the same thing as art
>Implying action is a lower form of entertainment
>>
>>7808035
I want to believe that Harold Bloom himself posted this
>>
>>7810162
He's right tho. Patricians only read books with lots of inaction in them. It really gets their blood pumping to their head sometimes their genitals.
>>
>>7807963
>Pitifully, I must attest to how, having personally had some past encounters with the literary works of Ernest Hemingway, I do indeed find them having a quite odd, almost distastefully peculiar sense of accessibility which in turn has made them fare pretty low on my list of suggested readings. Reflecting a tad further, I am liberated so far as to remark with but absolute certainty how, in all sincerity, I do find them to be quite the prose level one would expect to encounter upon in at the likes of grade schools or such similar places of less than average expectancies.

Translated this for you, faggot.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.