[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished this. Wow... Anybody want to discuss? Did you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: John-Williams-Stoner.jpg (171 KB, 400x650) Image search: [Google]
John-Williams-Stoner.jpg
171 KB, 400x650
Just finished this. Wow...

Anybody want to discuss? Did you like it? How did you read it? Should I check out Augustus?
>>
>>7807287
Loved it, yes you should check out Augustus, my professor recommended it.
>>
it was okay. i think the brilliance was a bit lost on me. i admit i cried at the end but it wasn't a very gripping ride overall.

im torn between thinking the flat and repetitive prose was annoying and thinking it was effective and necessary. i don't know. i guess i just walked away thinking it was bretty gud.
>>
>>7807306
This was the same for me, but i also could really identify with William and his despair. So it was a really emotional ride for me.
>>
>>7807306
>>7807312
Giant plebs
>>
>>7807320
Please, oh mighty patrician, educate us.
>>
>>7807306
I was more annoyed with the ending, it seemed a little out-of-place and cliche -- I guess I didn't expect that.
>>
I thought it was amazing.

The last chapter was horrible. Every paragraph made me choke up, and the book as a whole really fucked me up. Honestly, I put it on the same level as a drug.

For W.S.
>>
>>7807399
It was great. The pages i had the most difficulty getting through was right before he met Katherine and he was describing his endless deppression. Surely a great book.
>>
I loved the part where he roasted the crippled student during the verbal exam. Completely unexpected.

>also that dedication at the beginning of her book
>>
File: 1429058764097.gif (421 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
1429058764097.gif
421 KB, 700x525
>>7807306
>flat and repetitive prose

Confirmed for reading a different book with a Stoner slip cover on it

>>7807399
> For W.S.

Every time ;_;
>>
Fairly average book with some interesting games played with family politics (esp for its time) and a very good last two chapter.
>>
>>7807306
What did you expect?
>>
How did Edith always know everything going on? Tbh I was expecting some scandalous ending that would be soul crushing for stoner. Like Lomax was boning her with his oddly large and misshapen penis
>>
Entry-level pseudo intellectual beach reading for people who probably find more skilled American writers (Faulkner, Steinbeck, Capote, etc.) too challenging.

Also:
> muh sads

Stop.
>>
>>7808232
now THIS is posturing
>>
>>7808232
>Thinks Steinbeck can be challenging for anyone whatsoever

kek
>>
File: hemingway.jpg (18 KB, 640x155) Image search: [Google]
hemingway.jpg
18 KB, 640x155
>>7808232
>american writers
>challenging
at least list pynchon
>>
>>7808232
>STEINBECK
>CHALLENGING

OHHHH boy. Talk about the pot calling the kettle a nigger.
>>
>>7808553
>>7808620
He was undercutting the difficulty of the book, not saying that Steinbeck is difficult. Either that, or he was baiting. Stop being gullible.

Inb4 >samefag

I don't agree with him. Difficulty isn't a necessary condition for quality.
>>
>>7807287
I read it right after a girl broke it off with me for being a beta bitch-boy. It hit me hard.
>>
I went into Augustus thinking it'd be like Stoner which lead to some disappointment. It's not a bad book by any means, but the elements of a historical novel are quite strong. For example, you need to be alright with descriptions of battles taking up a fair amount of pages without really saying much. Do not expect an account of a man's life but that of an emperor.
>>
>>7810331
Thanks for the heads-up
>>
is the vintage edition ok for this?
>>
>>7810331
It's quite literally called Augustus.
>>
>>7810629
Of course, but nyrb is the prettiest
>>
>>7810641
is there like some added content in either one?
>>
>>7810646
There is a short introduction. It's not particularly insightful; a good summary with some superficial reflections
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.