[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Finnegans Wake thread? I finished this often incomprehensible,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 227x346) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 227x346
Finnegans Wake thread?
I finished this often incomprehensible, occasionally aggregating but consistently amusing and interesting book about a week ago. I'm looking to see if anyone on here has also legitimately read it so we can have real meme free discussion of it.

Did you like it?

Did you finish it?

If so, what were your favourite parts ?

A personal favourite of mines was Shaun's questioning in book 3 chapter 1.

>in the name of the first , the latter and the holocaust. All men
>>
Why doesnt riverrun have a capital R
>>
>>7806522
The no memes lasted long
>>
File: ouroboros_2_2.png (8 KB, 670x670) Image search: [Google]
ouroboros_2_2.png
8 KB, 670x670
Did you understand it? And be real OP. Is it really as incoherant as it first seems or is there actually something there worth trying to decipher?
>>
>>7806609
Does it need anything to decipher? Just look at it as an experiment and enjoy the flow of the language.
>>
>>7806609
I needed the chapter summaries at points, the ones in this edition are great as they pinpoint page and like number on parts you struggle with. Book two is far more difficult than the other three , at least for me, I got very little from large parts of Book two.

As a whole the book is enjoyable, especially if read aloud, I tend not to subvocalise but in a book as musical as this it helps greatly both in terms of enjoyment and understanding.

I could give you a brief outline of the plot if you like , I'd recommend at least reading the first 20/30 pages to see if you can get a feel for it. It all depends if you enjoy the style or not in total honesty but don't be deterred by the first page alone
>>
>>7806669
Chapter summaries help if you're hung up on understanding everything but it's mostly for the style the plot is broadly humorous and worth following however
>>
File: lots-of-fun-at-finnegans-wake.jpg (107 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
lots-of-fun-at-finnegans-wake.jpg
107 KB, 333x500
Planning on reading it this summer as the night book to my rereading of Ulysses' day.

Got a hold of 'A Skeleton Key To Finnegans Wake' as well as an audiobook. Not expecting to make much of it myself, but I'm looking forward to reading along with the audiobook's Irish accent over a pint of Guiness and seeing what I can pick out, afterwards reading up on what Robinson & Campbell and the internet/literary community at large make of it.

Also interested to see if I find anything cohesively paralleling Ulysses as I read Finnegans alongside it.
>>
>>7806522
Made me laugh.
>>
>>7806669
If you're hellbent on deciphering it, you'll hate it. There's a clear sense of design behind it, but it's not meant to be seen in terms of concrete meanings and events. The "plot" as extrapolated by Campbell isn't anything more than a way of grounding the experience rather than explaining it.
>>
Did he do it? Earwicker
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.