[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 10
File: qtddtot.jpg (100 KB, 999x624) Image search: [Google]
qtddtot.jpg
100 KB, 999x624
Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Not exactly /lit/-related but I imagine you guys will know the answer if there is one. Is there name for the fallacy (not even sure if it is a fallacy) whereby someone criticises another group's argument by saying something to the effect of "If they thought for two minutes about [insert simplified aspect of their argument] they'd realise it doesn't make sense" and in the process ignoring the fact that almost everyone holds fundamental beliefs that they don't question/interrogate on a daily basis (this second bit is the important bit of what I'm asking).

For example an atheist may say "How can a Christian believe in God when there's so much suffering in the world? If they thought about it for two seconds they'd realise it's a load of untrue bullshit blah blah blah..." whilst simultaneously taking their own atheistic beliefs for granted without ever really questioning said beliefs.

(fuck I've phrased that so poorly but I hope someone gets what I mean)
>>
Okay. Here's my question that doesn't deserve its own thread. What are some cool hobbies/skills that you can learn which don't require spending a lot of money, and what books do you recommend for beginners to those skills?

For instance, the Royal Road to Card Magic and a pack or two of cards, and you're on your way to being a magician. You could also pick up the book You Can Have an Amazing Memory and learn some really useful memory tricks, which can be used for both practical and entertainment purposes. Juggling for the Complete Klutz, and a few bean bags or tennis balls (though you'll be chasing after those), and a couple hours later you'll be doing basics, and a few hours after that and you'll be doing some tricks. Or if you feel like you're not very charismatic, check out The Charisma Myth.

What other books like this can you recommend for me? I love expanding my repertoire.
>>
>>7804440
Ricky Jay's Cards as Weapons will turn you into Gambit from XMen they're not actual weapons, but card throwing is neat and handy for magicians
>>7804150
Confirmation bias, I think. Check the wikipedia page to see if that lines up with what you're trying to say.
>>
>>7804479
Thanks for the book recommendation! I'll pick it up in the next few days.
>>
>>7804479
>>Ricky Jay's Cards as Weapons
oh, wow. haven't thought about that wonderful book in a looooong time.

did you see his role in David Mamet's Red Belt?
>>
>>7804479
sort of confirmation bias but with a more specific focus on the particular hypocrisy I mentioned in the OP.
>>
I don't understand exactly what epistemology is. I get the definition is "study of knowledge" or "philosophy of knowledge". But I just don't get what it REALLY is. Like, what kind of questions does epistemology try to answer?
>>
I've been arguing with a friend on his use of pretentious because he seems to think any story that's "deep" is pretentious. Yet he seems to not have an understanding of the word. While this isn't a piece of /lit/ we were discussing, but I thought /lit/ would be the best place to ask on the definition.

For example, he seems to think Evangelion is pretentious because it has symbolism thrown in there that "seems to have meaning but ends up not" to put in some of the gist of the things he's said. He seems to think pretentious means to solely pretend, but when I'm pretty sure that's not the correct usage.

I like to think to be pretentious you have to actively do it on purpose. You actively try to make yourself seem better than everyone else. Just because something is done for "cool" factor doesn't seem like that would really be pretentious to me.

I didn't want to make a new thread for this, so I'll try here first.
>>
>>7804681
What are valid ways of understanding? How sure of something do we need to be before we can say that we "know" it? What constitutes evidence in the first place?
>>
>>7804728
pretentiousness is like a false promise. All anime I've seen is pretentious.
>>
What are your favorite translations of the Bible?
I'm looking for an academic approach but I'm afraid that most of what I find is going to be translated according to an agenda of some sort
>>
>>7804440
Chess. Not sure about books on it, but I'm sure they can be found easily through google. and I'm sure you can learn most tips from youtube
>>7805236
the NASB is generally considered to be the most accurate.The ESV is a safe bet as well. I've heard one respected scholar say that the ASV is more accurate than the NASB, but I doubt the margin is wide

DO NOT!!!!!! buy into the "king james is the only one worth reading!" nonsense that /lit/ and others buy into so easily.
>>
>>7805196
How do you figure that out?
>>
>>7804681
In broad, general usage, it means ANY theorizing about knowledge, whether in general or in relation to a particular subject (e.g. history).

General epistemology:
>What "is" knowledge?
>How is it structured?
>How is it gained?
>Can we "know" the world directly, or do we know it indirectly?

Some concrete examples of this:
>Plato tried to understand how the chaos of sense perceptions could result in meaningful knowledge of the world. He concluded that knowledge logically must require pre-existing intuitions within the mind, and therefore concluded that knowledge is not actually LEARNED empirically by people throughout their life, but is the remembrance of things already in the immortal soul and partially forgotten by its bodily incarnation.
>Aristotle tried to answer the same question: How and why do chaotic sense data perceived by our organs become actual knowledge? He disagreed with Plato, and posited SOME intuitive faculties (passive intellect) that have the ability to "order" and coalesce sense data into knowledge, and ultimately to group and abstract observed phenomena into laws about reality (which, more like Plato in this instance, he felt were contained in the world and knowable by us).
>Many different kinds of sceptics about the possibility of real knowledge, for instance David Hume, who saw consciousness as a kind of ongoing, roiling accretion of sense data - disagreeing with Plato's need for innate knowledge, and with Aristotle's need for an innate knowledge-ordering faculty.
>Kant didn't like this, and went back to intuitive categories that make perception possible (again back to Aristotle/Plato), but then had doubts about the "accessibility" and "knowability" of objects in themselves.
>Modern thinkers about all kinds of mixtures of ideas like these - if we accept some kind of passive, categorical intellect, we still have to deal with the issue of what constitutes a reasonable belief, how abstractions are actually generated, etc.

Used in specific contexts, epistemology might go something like:
>Epistemology of the social sciences: How do we actually have knowledge of structures, processes, objects, that we observe (e.g., when we look at history, or human societies, or phenomenology/deep psychology)? What does it mean to say "this society was 'Capitalist'" or "this historical event caused this one, by mechanism abc or xyz?" Can we "know" or "access" past people's motivations, ideas, mentalities?
>Epistemology of literature, textual analysis, hermeneutics, etc.: How can we "access" a text? Do we have any access to "authorial intent?" If so, how?
>Epistemology of science: What constitutes proof? What constitutes scientific truth? What is a "fact?" How do we know "facts?" What methods of inquiry are rigorous or non-rigorous? What does the process of inquiry entail, for the subject and for the object?
>>
This may be too specific for this thread, but about how long (I know it depends on my study regimen) would it take me to become proficient enough in Danish to read Kierkegaard in the original. I've toyed around with it and it seems pretty similar to english, and the rules are pretty simple. Anyone have any experience with Danish?
>>
>>7805236
I prefer the King James Version just because the language is quite lovely. However, I'm truly not sure how it is from an academic standpoint. Therefore, I would go with what this guy said: >>7805246
>>
>>7805328

Wow, thank you very much for the informative post anon. I understand it much better now
>>
>>7804150
This isn't a fallacy, although maybe it's a little intellectually dishonest in certain circumstances. Basically, it's a non-argument in the first place. If somebody acts like a non-argument is an argument they are an idiot, but there's no word for it.
>>
>>7804150
double standard?
>>
>>7805246
I'm not gonna tell you not to read the KJV, it's beautiful and has its merits. There is definitely a crowd that espouses KJV only and they have their view, but I'm with this dude, NASB is the way to go. The most literal translation and 'm not sure if all NASB bibles have this or not, but my version always has footnotes whenever a passage is missing in earlier manuscripts or only found in a few or where differences may occur in order to be comprehensive. It actually only constitutes a very small fraction of the Bible but those pieces are in there and it lets you know when you run across them, good for a scholarly approach I would suppose.

If you're trying to read it and understand what's being said, I suggest you take Matthew Henry's Commentary as a companion. You can find it online for free and while there are many other fine and worthy commentaries, MH's is really quite special. There's two versions available, the complete (which is massive and awe-inspiring, even to a non-believer I imagine, if only for the ambition and scope of the work) and the concise. Obligatory link:

http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/matthew-henry-complete/

Also in reading the Bible, understand that the Bible defines itself and every distinct word is vital and important. This is another reason why the NASB is laudable and why the NIV is...well, you understand. Bearing that in mind, this may be a little beyond what you want but there are also sites such as blue letter bible which allow you to look up any word and find where it is used elsewhere in the Bible (in the original language, that is) and then use that as a reference point to understand what the meaning of that particular word. I have the sense that I've explained this poorly and must apologize, but nevertheless, here's the site in case anyone finds it of use:

https://www.blueletterbible.org/
>>
File: Music-pirate-piracy[1].jpg (35 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Music-pirate-piracy[1].jpg
35 KB, 600x400
>>7804150
Vaguely related to OP: did any philosopher or whatever ever come up with a good argument for why pirating stuff is morally wrong? Why do people deserve money (not talking about recognition atm) for stuff they make, especially if the stuff isn't really taken away from them but just copied? It feels weird to equate it with stealing.

Everyone seems to be taking it for granted that piracy is morally wrong and I don't understand why. Is this a closed debate in philosophy? What have I missed?
>>
>>7806003
Potentially, The Beatles could release a 500 song "never before released recorded tracks" thing. One person buys it, 5 billion people streams or downloads it, company loses hundreds of millions of dollars just for marketing. Dominos fall, no one creates art because no one can sell enough to live or they spend so much time making sure they get the money that no one buys from them.

>tl;dr morals and easy path to destroying "music as a product"
>>
>>7806051
Is that really a logical consequence though? Many people create art for other reasons than money (expressing themselves, criticizing something, etc.). I seriously doubt the idea that people would stop creating art if everyone were pirating stuff.

Also, this argument is more about why it's economically wrong than why it's morally wrong.
>>
>>7806003
Pirates had a habit of throwing the philosopher overboard in Greece. We haven't forgiven them for commodifying Diogenes either.
>>
File: 1457664127250.gif (2 MB, 448x432) Image search: [Google]
1457664127250.gif
2 MB, 448x432
>>7806051
>presenting case against piracy
>uses beatles as example
>>
>>7806128
I used them because people who were born after the group died eat that kind of exclusive shit up, and are much more likely to torrent/fileshare.

>>7806106
Morally wrong because destroying the business of music destroys all future music made for money, so "the people" no longer get "accessible" music and artists that rely on others to make music no longer get the chance to "make it big". I can argue that "the artists need their money", but it's a bad argument.

This is all coming from a musician that barely asks for monetary compensation for copies of the music I make. "Pay for what you want" is a great concept if you don't have to buy physical copies.
>>
How do you take notes while reading fiction?
>>
What are some /lit/ approved books that will motivate me and spark that ambition I once had?
>>
>>7805246
>Chess.
I haven't read it, but The Soviet Chess Primer seems lika a based introduction.
>>
>>7804440
Programming. You have a Computer and brain, pick up The Art of Computer Programming by Knuth. Or for a more artistic approach with a direct result: install Processing and read Processing: a programming handbook for visual designers
>>
>>7806293
>pick up The Art of Computer Programming by Knuth.
This is like saying you should read critique pf pure reason as your introduction to philosophy.
>>
What are some good books on Phoenician mythology or history?
>>
File: Baby-pirate[1].jpg (13 KB, 256x288) Image search: [Google]
Baby-pirate[1].jpg
13 KB, 256x288
>>7806162
Why is destroying "all future music made for money" inherently immoral, though? That seems to rely on the idea that all art is positive/moral, which is highly doubtful imo.

Moreover, why are artists owed a chance to "make it big"? That just seems supercilious. >mfw that's the first time I use that word ever
>>
Why is YA so frowned upon here?
I find YA books fun to read
>>
Ever since I finished J. Williams Stoner I am having difficulty getting into any other good without getting bored or just losing interest.

So what I am asking is, is there any novel that is close to the same prose and dread/depressing feeling I got from Stoner?
>>
>>7805601
About three fiddy.

But seriously, stop wondering about how much time you will spend doing it, and just start learning Danish. There's no set amount of time for learning a language. It may take six months or three years. The sooner you start the sooner you learn, and the more.you want to learn the faster and the better.
>>
I'm arguing for an essay that Jay Gatsby fits Aristotle's description of the megalopsuchos fairly well. What do you guys think? Is it damning that he's obsessed with daisy and made his money dishonorably?
>>
Is there a name for the political belief that decisions/policy must only be made based on observable, evidential, quantifiable grounds?
>>
>>7806432
>>
>>7806432
Since I posted the question, I've begun learning it, and I've got a pretty solid base already. Tak!
>>
>>7806537
Just a guess here, but how about scientism or one of its related -isms? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism
>>
Are "brain training" apps actually good? Will they improve my ability to focus, reason through problems, and remember things?
>>
How difficult is war and peace?
>>
Spouting 'le fallacy name' is fedora bullshit.
I always lose all respect for person who says 'le strawmanz xD, le logical fallacy xD'
>>
>>7807009
>>7806537
Not literature fuck off

>>7806352
What else do you read besides YA ?
>>
>>7807031

I don't know, genre fiction probably? Fantasy, sci fi, do love post apocalyptic books (not zombie trash) like The Stand, or The Road, One Second After and such.
I don't really read classics or very super deep serious books, it's just not fun, I read to enjoy stories and what's going in.
>>
Is there anyone who wants to discuss a.m. ludovici with me?
>>
>>7806347
Not inherently immoral, but taking away relatively harmless escapism isn't really needed. I'm just playing devil's advocate here, and I'm simply repeating everything I was told and trying to justify it.

"Artists need their billions, labels and studios would collapse and discourage would-be musicians, and consuming without spending is a concept that makes me feel bad" are the recurring points and are as flimsy as a paper boat on a rainy day
>>
>>7806003
There isn't one, because there's nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>7807241
>?

You're stealing money
>>
>>7807867
Nope. If I wasn't gonna buy it in the first place they lost nothing.
>>
>>7807880

But you consumed and you can't break causality cause-effect if piracy didn't exist you consumed it so you must have bought it so if you have piracy you literally cost them a sale and lost them money
>>
>>7807888
That's some weird 'logic' you got going on.
>>
please for the love of god someone explain structuralism to me, like i'm a child

what is it? what are its roots?
>>
>>7804150
poetry & verse
where start?
>>
File: 13425.jpg (49 KB, 308x475) Image search: [Google]
13425.jpg
49 KB, 308x475
I just began pic related and I'm unsure as to how it's supposed to be read. The text from the author gives an overview of each figure while referencing fragments, found at the end of a chapter, from actual Greeks. He does so in the following form:

"Philosopher X was always known to be an advocate of Y (T12)",

where T12 is the twelfth excerpt concerning X.

Am I supposed to read those references at the end or should I look them up each time they're mentioned? Reading this book on Kindle would be quite fastidious.

Thank you
>>
File: memory-1024x1024.jpg (68 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
memory-1024x1024.jpg
68 KB, 1024x1024
Not really a question so much as an assertion:

You should all create a mnemonic peg system for 0-99, learn the major system for 0-9, and create a memory palace. Being able to memorize a deck of cards in like 2 minutes is a great party trick, and you'll get a lot more out of reading. You'll also think more clearly, and generally be more confident.

Various Greek and Roman scholars used mnemonic techniques like these to remember their speeches, and it's useful for memorizing speeches, poems, and book passages if that's your kind of thing, so it's definitely /lit/-relevant.
>>
How do I become the closest thing a modern person can be to Sherlock Holmes? That is, intelligent, well-read, focused, very observant, able to handle myself in a fight, and knowledgeable about all kinds of useful things.
>>
How can we revive European culture and purge it from all jewishness?
>>
>>7807975
I an only explain it from an anthropological standpoint, since I'm an anthropology masters student.

In anthro, structuralism refers to the current of thought which asserts that culture is most effectively thought of in terms of structure. In much the same way a house is made up of bricks, for instance, a symbol is made up of the signifier (that which signifies; the letters or sounds that make up the word "boat," for example) and the signified (the thing being signified; the actual idea of a boat). Everything which human beings think and do is thought of in terms of structures. A family has a structure (which itself is shaped by the mores of a given cultural group, which themselves have structures) and so on.

It's interesting, and useful for purposes of laying things out and figuring out how the "pieces" fit together, if you will, but also quite incomplete.

One of its most prominent proponents, Claude Levi-Strauss, was a pretty cool guy, but kind of fixated on this idea that humans had in their minds these innate opposites (hot/cold, tall/short, etc.) and these were the building blocks upon which more complex social structures were built. As a result, he wrote a LOT about opposites, seemingly for the sheer sake of it, which was a bit silly.

Still, he contributed greatly to the field and, although there aren't many people running around today calling themselves "structuralists" in any pure sense, structuralism had/has its value.
>>
>>7808477
how
>>
>>7809495
>mnemonic peg system
Watch this video (feel free to skip the ad or whatever) for the basic idea. I stuck with his pegs for 1-10, then made up my own above that. I only have 1-25 so far but am working toward 50 for now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5MVEXbBji4
>major system
This is used to memorize strings of numbers. Useful for phone numbers or whatever else you need to remember. If you want to rattle off 40 digits of pi for some reason, this is your go-to method.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnemonic_major_system
>memory palace
It's also called the Method of Loci. I haven't done this yet, because I don't have any places that I feel like I know well enough. I may end up using the home town from the first gen Pokemon games.

Basically it's based on the idea of imagining yourself traveling a set path through a place you know well, and "placing" things you want to remember (either the things themselves, or other things that represent those things) in various places along the way. Remembering places and what can be found there is what the human mind is best at, so this allows you to remember way more shit than you could otherwise.

>memorizing deck of cards
Memorize a list of celebrities or whatever that you associate with each card. So like, maybe king of clubs is Steve Buscemi or something. Then you can place them in your memory palace in order, in order to memorize a deck. Once you have practice at that, you can give each card a full sentence consisting of subject, action, and object. Steve Buscemi, refusing to tip, the waitress. Then you take the card in sets of three, with each card being represented by the corresponding part of the sentence. So if the King of Clubs is your third card, then you have whatever the other two cards mean, to get (someone) (does something to) a waitress. Maybe Miley Cyrus punches a waitress. Then you place THAT along the path, and you only need to remember 18 points on your path instead of 52, and they're much more vivid.
>>
>>7806352
I like ya fantasy and fiction, shit like Fablehaven or Inheritance Cycle, and yea Percy Jackson too
>>
anyone here actually read and speak Russian?
>>
>>7809694

I can read it and speak the words.
Pronounce perfectly.
I won't understand what any of it means though
>>
File: a92.png (35 KB, 565x600) Image search: [Google]
a92.png
35 KB, 565x600
I asked a new acquaintance if she likes reading and what she could recommend.
Sadly it's typical female literature where there is no room for interpretations. Just a direct, simple novel with a good ending.
Should I avoid asking others what they like to read?
>>
>>7810628
>typical female literature
Frankenstein was written by a woman and has lots of shades of meaning and interpretation. Hell, it's unclear to what extent the author even condemns Dr. Frankenstein's actions.

If you mean "typical literature read by women," is she the first woman you've asked what she likes to read? If so, how do you know what's typical? If not, and you're seeing a pattern of literature you don't personally enjoy, why do you need to ask us?

It's also possible to just ask, and if it's not lit you enjoy, move on to a different topic or recommend something.
>>
Should I read Die Enden der Parabel, or also known as Gravity Rainbows in German? :^)
>>
>>7810666
>us
>666
unhand me succubus
>>
>>7804440

F I S H I N G
I
S
H
I
N
G

Fishing is extremely relaxing and a fun social experience. You can bring a BBQ pit and have a cook-out, maybe some people can go crabbing if that's possible where you're at. Even by itself fishing is extremely chill. Leaves you with time to think or just take in the scenery. You can even teach yourself to fillet a fish while you're at it.
>>
Is there any guide or book on writing biographies? I want to write some about my characters but I don't know where to start. I've seen example of some but I'm looking for informal writing. A biography that a best-friend would write that sounds like the writer really misses his friend or maybe an older man writing about his childhood hero from years past.
>>
>>7811396
I meant "why do you need to ask us here on /lit/ whether to continue asking women what they like to read or not, if you've developed the opinion that they all have taste that you don't like?"

I'm a dude.
>>
why is today's youth culture is fucked?

everyone wants to be transgender. may Islam deliever us from this decadence insallah.
>>
File: Time_youcover01.jpg (37 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
Time_youcover01.jpg
37 KB, 400x533
>>7811655
read ortega y gasset's revolt of the masses

>Today we are witnessing the triumph of a hyperdemocracy in which the mass acts directly, outside the law, imposing its aspirations and its desires by means of material pressure.

> If the individuals who make up the mass believed themselves specially qualified, it would be a case merely of personal error, not a sociological subversion. The characteristic of the hour is that the commonplace mind, knowing itself to be commonplace, has the assurance to proclaim the rights of the commonplace and to impose them wherever it will.

>That man is intellectually of the mass who, in the face of any problem, is satisfied with thinking the first thing he finds in his head. On the contrary, the excellent man is he who condemns what he finds in his mind without previous effort, and only accepts as worthy of him what is still far above him and what requires a further effort in order to be reached.

>The mass man … accepts the stock of commonplaces, prejudices, fag-ends of ideas or simply empty words which chance has piled within his mind, and with a boldness only explicable by his ingenuousness, is prepared to impose them everywhere.

lasch's culture of narcissism too, and relate it to social media

baudrillard
>In discussing resistance from below, Baudrillard’s main emphasis is on the masses. The masses are the aggregate left in place by the operations of the code. They are a ‘homogeneous human and mental flux’. They are the ecstatic form of the social.

>Despite their apparently abject position, the masses remain a powerful force of resistance. The only cultural practice left is the cultural practice of the masses. This practice is manipulative and depends on chance. It plays with signs, and has no meaning.

>According to Baudrillard, the masses have always detested culture, and now participate enthusiastically in its mourning. They participate too enthusiastically, effacing the meaning which performances seek to restore, and threatening to cause the edifice to collapse. The masses are not produced as formless or uninformed by the media. They resist the media by absorbing its messages and returning nothing.
>>
>>7811655

Under the banner of progressivism the liberals have made certain things seen more desireable and more normal than they should be, transgenders, homosexuals, willingly opening borders to conquerors, etc.
The media and globalism plays a large part in this.

I don't have anything to back this up, but I think it's because their lives are too safe, you don't see this kind of thing happening ANYWHERE, when there's a war, when there's a war, people revert back to the good ol' standard gender roles, dominant husband, submissive wife.
>>
File: Capture.png (126 KB, 555x281) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
126 KB, 555x281
I'm reading Hegel's history of philosophy and I got to a part that seems to be missing a word or two. Pic related, maybe a 'says' after Protagoras or maybe another word before. Help?
>>
>>7811655
Or... alternatively, bring back Catholicism.
>>
>>7811655
People want some kind of struggle to fight against so they feel like they're doing something. They learnt about the civil rights movement in the 1960s and saw all the pictures etc and they want their own generational struggle to 'overcome' because in reality modern life is objectively pretty good for people in first world countries, but they want some kind of story they can tell their kids 20 years to seem like they were doing something.
>>
>>7811767
>To the proposition of Protagoras ... Plato makes Socrates answer that valour ...

The compound/idiomatic verb "answer to" is split, with the preposition waaaay before to maintain grammatical correctness

Everything else is subordinate/adjectival clauses. The barest possible core of the sentence is "To the proposition of Protagoras, Plato makes Socrates answer."
>>
Is Herrod Aggripa (King Herrod who was struck down in Acts for accepting praise that he was a God) related to Marcus Agrippa? (Celebrated general and close friend of Augustus)?

Also did Plato ever write about any interaction with Jews? There were definitely Jews in Greece at the time just wondering how exposed he might have been to the old testament.

Sorry, first readthrough of the New Testament. Always wondered why the Bible (both new and old testaments) aren't held in the same esteem that the Greeks are. There are as many if not more biblical allusions in Western literature and it really is an amazing book.
>>
>>7811776
The catholic church is the most degenerate institution in the world. Seriously, I'd stick with the transgenders.
>>
>>7811825
>plebs believe this
>>
>>7811655

Absurdly vocal minority that is protected by the regressive-left youth and old politicians and jews. No idea why so many people backing it end up being jewish. At least Israel is getting some diversity of their own.
>>
>>7811797
Thank you, it seem to me that the word 'Platonic' is a quality of Protagoras, maybe that's what making me confused?
>>
>>7811825
Islam is much worse. The Quran is a terrorist instruction manual.
>>
File: 1454799721960.png (217 KB, 447x547) Image search: [Google]
1454799721960.png
217 KB, 447x547
>>7811825
>implying that the Catholic church didn't die with Vatican II
Fucking protestants, I swear to God.
>>
>>7811839
Vatican II's changes are really blown out of proportion.
>>
/adv/ isn't letting me post for some reason and I trust you guys more than /soc/. Is this too autistic?

Dear co-worker,

Ever since Winter Break ended it's been obvious you don't feel particularly
comfortable around me. Since there's probably never going to be a chance to
talk in public I'm writing this e-mail to try to mend things.

I want to apologize and explain myself. I have an anxiety disorder that
makes it very hard for me to be social or "normal" around people,
oftentimes I end up being a straight up idiot in public. I wouldn't be
surprised if I have a mild version of autism. I don't know if or claim that
this makes up for anything I've done but I hope it helps everything make
sense. I also hope that whatever it is I do that bothers you can be fixed,
you seem like a nice person and the kids obviously like you.

It's never been my intention to make you feel uncomfortable and I sincerely
apologize for having done so. If you really feel that bad around me I'm
willing to leave [school we work at], just say the word. If there's something else I can do
to change things please tell me.

And if I'm just rambling feel free to ignore everything I've written.

Have a nice day,
anon
>>
I would like to try reading books from this century. Any recommendations? Preferably with a good voice and a more lighthearted subject matter.
>>
>>7811836
Oh, he just means Protagoras as depicted by Plato. Because we have so few sources for the Sophists and pre-Socratics, and we have to rely on Plato so much, Hegel feels like he needs to make a special distinction that he's aware the "Platonic Protagoras" might be partially a character (only inspired by Protagoras, or even a misrepresentation of him, etc.).
>>
>>7811871
Id say just talk to her but if you really are too autistic for face to face interaction and are set on a letter get rid of the last 2 paragraphs and youre fine
>>
>>7811881
Brief history of 7 Killings
>>
>>7811891
I was going to do it by e-mail.
>>
>I want to go home but I am already home
Is there a name for this emotional feeling, /lit/?
>>
I'm reading The Brothers Karamazov and enjoying it, but progress is slow. In fact, I'm beginning to become worried about my 52 books per year challenge on Goodreads. Seeing as I'm past that part, am I allowed to rate the Grand Inquisitor fable so that I get an extra 'read' book, or would this be disgusting sacrilege?
>>
>>7811837
>Implying the gospel isn't
>>
>>7811871
Extremely autistic, idk if this is a bait.
She never really thinks about you anon, as it appears you've never spoken to her IRL. Why do you care if she's uncomfortable nigga. Unless you did something unforgivable.
>>
I'm reading moby dick and I'm about a third through (through cetology + a few chapters)

I kind of want to take a break from it though. I really do like the writing, but the plot moves so slowly, and grudging through those thousand pages of mast/rudder descriptions is painful. Do you all have any expirience with just taking a break from a book? Where is a good place to stop? Or should I just power through that (I'm leaning towards the latter)
>>
>>7812602
I tried taking a short break from Heart of Darkness.
that was four years ago and I haven't gone back yet
>>
>>7812475
yes, i am implying that, because it isn't.
>>
>>7804440
If you have a crochet hook, some yarn or twine, and youTube, you can learn to crochet really easily. No books required. (I actually learned out of a book, though. I just did a refresher on youTube when I was coming back to crochet after 4 years. YouTube is a resource.)
>>
>>7812607
>
HoD is a book you should be able to read in a single day
>>
>>7806106
Creating art is great and all, but if you're going to share it with a wider audience, then there had better be some sort of recompense. Spending 200 hours devoting yourself to this one thing, and having someone else (or multiple people) enjoy that something you slaved over for free, is a pretty shitty feeling, no matter what you created it for in the first place.

If you worked on it for 200 hours with either the intent of gifting a piece of art to one specific person, or keeping it for yourself, is quite different.

At some point, art really does become a commodity.
>>
>>7812607
This is my fear. I'm going to stick with it, the sense of accomplishment will far outweigh the immediate relief, I feel.
>>
Good night, bunch of fags readers.
I would like to express my doubts about the DDC (or Decimal Dewey Classification), and I want to know were I can download tutorial about this system. Thanks!
>>
What is the best version of St. Augustine's Confessions in hardcover? Is the Hendricks version good? I intend to give it as a gift to a friend of mine.
>>
Is it fedora to not be religious, or does the fedora only come into play when you act like a jackass about it?
>>
>>7813769
Depends, some of the worst fedoras are suburban american nerds with an incongruous fetish for catholicism and orthodoxy
>>
Can someone recommend me a couple books on existentialism?
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.