[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Be me >3 years into what I consider my life's work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: 1445238089453.gif (883 KB, 350x170) Image search: [Google]
1445238089453.gif
883 KB, 350x170
>Be me
>3 years into what I consider my life's work
>4 books or so with 350,000 words total
>Go back to first chapter- Chapter that's supposed to hook the reader
>It's utter shit, goes on far too long before anything to hook actually happens
>Mfw

I'm so legitimately satisfied with books 2 and 3, I would love to see what others think about them... and to get them out there. But Book 1's opening is shite.

Can anyone else relate?
>>
don't worry the rest is shit too
>>
guessing it was the first thing you wrote so of course it's going to be shit

just rewrite
>>
>>7802455
<3
>>
>>7802459
Yes, it was when I was figuring out how to do shit. It's been through some edits but needs another overhaul.
I'm forcing myself to go do that now.
>>
>>7802478
that's just part of the process, keep it up til you're one-hundred percent satisfied.
>>
>>7802445
This is actually a good thing; it means your skills now are better than they were then. Just rewrite the bits you don't like anymore.
>>
>>7802445
Tell us what its about.

Your likely thinking people will ridicule it whatever it is, but honestly isn't that better than praise if the praise is undeserved.

You never know you might even get some lurkers interested.
>>
>>7802445
>4 books or so with 350,000 words total
Let me guess, fantasy?
>>
>>7802445
>3 years
>4 books
>350,000 words
Is it some YA/Fantasy shit you thought up as a teenager? Nothing needs to be that long.
>>
File: Imagination intensifies.jpg (130 KB, 832x690) Image search: [Google]
Imagination intensifies.jpg
130 KB, 832x690
>>7803888

>fantasy
>Bad

I'm convinced the only reason /lit/ trashes fantasy is on account of the fact that it's by far the most popular genre.

No one wants to read some post-modernist piece of shit about tennis and dystopia.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
>>7803962
Don't tell Gaskun that.
>>
>>7803888

>even having to ask
>>
>>7803969
>>>/rbooks/
>>
>>7803969
I actually would like to read a post-modernist piece on tennis and dystopia.
>>
>>7803980

Keep reading Infinite Jest and other books that no one's ever heard of; and for good reason.
>>
>>7803993
>muh populism
>>>/rsuicide_methods/
>>
>>7803962
>>7803888
>>7803858
I've put some stuff about it on this board before and the only responses I got were "Were you drunk when you wrote this?"
I assure you all I am not. And yes, I am serious. I actually think this narrative is complex and interesting, with twists therein, to pass. I'm satisfied with it.

It's not Fantasy.

I hate to label things for many reasons, but it's closest to Tom Clancy's old works. Takes place in the 2020s', in a megaconflict, with science and math heavy plotline and overtones.
Tom Clancy from the perspective of one person, retold in past-tense about the war he served in, satirizing Jingoism and the blind patriotism of Muricans. (Not omnipotent narrator who knows everything about the geopolitical spectrum, lampshade therein. Politics is only a small part of it, but not much, because why does it matter to him?)
That is Book 1, his and their, fight for survival and freedom.

Book 2 is when the MC's sanity degenerates badly due to an infatuation, causing him to fall from the light. Losing friends and family, starting a downward spiral, which nobody else can observe.

Book 3 starts by others explaining to him the conspiracies that birthed the conflict he was in, and a group trying to end it. Inspired from /x/ and /pol/, they promise enlightenment and freedom for the people, but deliver only a different kind of tyranny, racism and paranoia onto those they encounter.
And that shatters his confidence in the path he'd chosen, and threatens to send his mental state careening downwards again.
>>
>>7804717
That's not entirely terrible, but 4 books of it is way too much. You can do it it one book, two at most. Don't fall into the le ebin trilogy/tetralogy/etc. meme.
>>
>>7804717
sounds like something reddit would like, maybe plug it over there?
do a kickstarter :^)
>>
>>7804732
>>7804739
It's most likely 3 books, I said 4 as a typo. I guess I'm a retard at heart.

Thank you. That means a lot to me, even those are mostly backhanded compliments.
>>
>>7804739
Wait, was this backhanded? Autist lurker here
>>
>>7804717
>Inspired from /x/ and /pol/

wew
>>
>>7804969
Yeah, those are kiddy-tier conspirifags. Go on godlikeproductions if you want to see the hardcore tinfoil hatters in their natural habitat.
>>
>>7804976
>>7804969
I know. But it still did a number on me as they convinced me they had a political or moral goal in mind.
When really it's just a nihilistic pit of the damned.
/r9k/ plays into it also.
>>
>>7803992
>What is Infinite Jest
>>
Thanks for the help all. I appreciate the comments on it,
>>
Post an excerpt
>>
Post an extract you piece of shit
>>
>>7802478
That is a very good sign, though.
What are you writing?
>>
>Tfw writing a book packed with literary references and intertextuality, but afraid people won't care, because the plot it about two people walking in a city and stuff just sort of happens
>>
>>7807096
References are overplayed, learn to write without relying on gimmicks
>>
>>7807096
Intertextuality alone isn't good enough these days. You have to make the plot and characters stand out somehow to sell it.
>>
>>7807096
>the plot is about two people walking in a city and stuff just sort of happens
Honestly I would like to read something like this. A decent book-length story that takes place over a relatively short timeframe sounds like a real change of pace.
>>
>>7804906
Yes, it was.
>>
>>7803969
>No one wants to read some post-modernist piece of shit about tennis and dystopia.
speak for yourself pleb
>>
3 years from now you'll look at what you just wrote and think it's shit too.

It's not that everything you write is shit. It's that you get better the longer you do anything.

Also,
>could be better =! Shit
>>
File: UlyssesCover.jpg (20 KB, 374x478) Image search: [Google]
UlyssesCover.jpg
20 KB, 374x478
>>7807096
>>7807139
>afraid people won't care, because the plot it about two people walking in a city and stuff just sort of happen
you might be right on that one
people have never been interested in an intertextual and referential work of literature ostensibly concerning the quotidian activities of people in a city

if you think your book is worthwhile, write it
if it is good, I look forward to reading it
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.