[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I made an alt account just to say this but I actually like Murakami.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: Murakami.jpg (162 KB, 640x486) Image search: [Google]
Murakami.jpg
162 KB, 640x486
I made an alt account just to say this but

I actually like Murakami. His novels are full of feelings and I could actually connect to some of the familiarity of life it captures.
>>
>>7801908
>account
Wherever you think you are, you need to go back there and stay.
>>
>>7801908
What the fuck is this?
Post-Irony, not even once.
>>
God this is excellent bait, I was incredibly angered by it. Well done, OP.

Saged.
>>
>>7801916
Post-iron/sincerity. How could you not like NW? Haruhi did a great job of dropping a bomb of emotions on you
>>
>>7801908
Metamodernism. Combating Irony since 1975.
>>
My wife's boyfriend love murakami
>>
I read only Wind-Up Bird, besides some minor intrigue in the first 1/3 I thought it was weak and overlong. Toru in the well and both war flashbacks were the highlights.
The ending was far too convenient framing Noboru Wataya as some villain he was never really built up to be.

c-h-e-a-p
>>
1Q84

I never experienced so much words that corresponded to aso much NOTHING EVER HAPPENING

It's so slow and uneventful it makes Infinite Jest look like a Michael Bay movie.
>>
Hey guys have you read that quirky Murakami novel that involves a cat, oddball teenagers and urban melancholy?
>>
>>7801908
>Account
>>
I've read quite a lot of Japanese literature; from Mishima to this guy, and most of the /lit/ recommendations.

The trouble is that it simply isn't very deep; maybe it gets lost in translation. It all just seems to have a certain air of pseudo-profundity. This occasionally gets to a point where I actually start to think the Japanese themselves do not think very deeply; or that their language prohibits them in this regard, whereas English (as well as German/etc) allow for all the depth one could hope for.

At that point I usually have to rein myself in, however.
>>
again
>>
>>7802360
I was fine with the first two parts but the last part just descends into the main characters literally sitting around waiting for each other. I couldn't bring myself to finish it even though I was so close to the end.
>>
>>7801972
go to bed John
>>
Edit: why am i getting downvoted?
>>
>>7801912
Eloquent. Please do, OP.
>>
I really like Norwegian Wood
>>
yes, op. I like him too. but his writing divides /lit/ forum members like no other.
>>
this man

in my country, he is nothing

we call him idiot-Kami
>>
>>7802456
murakami is more interesting and "deeper" than mishima for sure. even in fiction...the general ideas he talks about in plain-spoken vernacular are at least rooted in a mature reality. the plain-spoken mood of his writing is rooted in carver and fitzgerald. mishima on the other hand has idiotic mix ups with violence and beauty like I did when I was 14. it's interesting you name these two when murakami in an interview said he wanted to get as far away as he could from mishima with his own writing.

>I actually start to think the Japanese themselves do not think very deeply

seriously any economically developed country is going to have the same variety of dregs and superstars and everything in between as any other equally developed country. you best recognize reality, foo.
>>
>>7802435
You mean the one with all the outdated Western pop culture references, or the one with all the incest fantasies?
>>
>>7803243
name any author and we can play quips and one-liners to sum them up all day long.
>>
>>7804832
DELETE THIS
>>
>>7801908

I know this has been said before, maybe even in this thread, but he reads like a YA author for slightly older Y As. It's not bad, it just evokes a weird feeling of immaturity (in the characters and the events they encounter). I really enjoyed Norwegian Wood, so I don't say this as an insult. It's not really something to be analyzed like "literature proper", it's more pandering to emotions than anything else. It's something to be read selfishly imo
>>
>>7803226
do you have any clear reasons why murakami is better besides you personally seeing mishima stuff as for 14 year olds
>>
>>7802985
well apart from all those truckloads of books he sells, of course
>>
>>7804873
This.
Also, it really is a nice breeze of a read. After killing myself over Ulysses it was nice to read something so simple and sweet.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.