[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Lord of the Flies a criticism of Rousseau's perception
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: comfyhond.webm (770 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
comfyhond.webm
770 KB, 400x400
Is the Lord of the Flies a criticism of Rousseau's perception of nature and children as fundamentally good, but corrupted by civilization? It is civilization that saves them, and it was civilization (and the conch) that kept them from hunting each-other.

Also, was the pig in the Lord of the Flies about establishing a domestic religion to cope with the fact that they were thrown onto the Island after the crash? Like humans are thrown into existence in a existential way and need religion to cope? (Cfr. Heidegger, Sartre, Camus)
>>
>>7801517

forget to add: Golding clearly adheres to the views of Hobbes on human nature.
>>
Wasn't there just a post about this in the "Odyssey PTSD" thread? Why did you think this deserved its own thread? How long have you been on this board? Do you have a reddit account?
>>
File: 1453588615276.jpg (29 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1453588615276.jpg
29 KB, 640x480
>British writer thinking they can write about "Civilisation" after WWII
>>
>>7801534

Because I got no response on the other thread, and I added the part on Rousseau. Since when can there only be a limited amount of threads? Get the fuck out
>>
But the children weren't pure of civilization's influence. They were born into it and only later encountered "nature" alone.
>>
>>7801517
obviously
>>
>>7801625
You killed a thread permanently to post this bullshit that no one fucking cares about. Sage.
>>
>>7801632
The influence of civilization was what kept them from killing each-other in the early days. It was only when this influence dissipated that the killing started
>>
>>7801650
No, there is no evidence that the influence of civilization ever dissipated unless some character or another in the story seemed to not remember how they got on the island in the first place. And even if a character did say that, who's to say the influence of civilization didn't still weigh on their subconscious?
>>
>>7801706

Even if this is the case, Rousseau proposed giving children a more naturalistic education, and in a way segregation of many aspects of civilization. In this case, the observation still applies.
>>
>>7801716
Well, I've never read about Rousseau's model of child education but unless it lacks teachers I don't really see how the situation in Lord of the Flies relates to it.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.