[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this book so funny? Did I read it wrong? Is it the translation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: x354-q80.jpg (19 KB, 354x354) Image search: [Google]
x354-q80.jpg
19 KB, 354x354
Why is this book so funny?
Did I read it wrong?
Is it the translation?
(It's insanely tonally effective, I love it.)
>>
Go to bed, David.
>>
>>7801191
No, you read it right. Kafka thought his own stories were hilarious. In a lot of ways, I think he was the DFW of his day, or rather, what DFW would've been if he embraced the idea of a self-effacing humor of suffering instead of being a sadsack who tried to write self-help books in the guise of avant-garde fiction.
>>
File: 1446156570646.png (333 KB, 451x469) Image search: [Google]
1446156570646.png
333 KB, 451x469
>>7801212
This post is entirely correct. DFW took the easy way and his succumb to despair (and the Americanization of his work) cheated us all from something great.
>>
>>7801241
American sentimentalism really does ruin everything, doesn't it?
>>
>>7801191
If you don't find the scene with Titorelli funny I don't know what is.
>>7801212
The whole theme about anxiety and shame in the Trial actually reminds me of Good Old Neon a ton.
>>
File: 1446411593182.png (3 MB, 1456x1692) Image search: [Google]
1446411593182.png
3 MB, 1456x1692
>>7801254
It's just so easy. I don't need to know what it's like to be alive. All his criticism and expression end up being entirely sterile because anyone living through it has already experienced it. You can counter that point by saying it's a work for posterity.
It leads to nothing but head nodding. Its importance or profundity is that of an inside joke. "Oh ya, I have felt that...cool". It's not interesting.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.