[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I go about reading classic literature and epic poetry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Edward.Elric.full.85108.jpg (165 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Edward.Elric.full.85108.jpg
165 KB, 1280x720
How do I go about reading classic literature and epic poetry for fun if I'm not a University student?
>>
Go to the library.
>>
>>7801190
A lot of classics are in the public domain. Most monoliths will have a pdf online and a librivox recording at least. In short: a google search.
>>
>epic poetry
Try Toohey's "reading epic" and the epics he mentions. Big ones are obviously Iliad, Odyssey, and Aeneid, but then there are lesser known ones like Argonautica, Metamorphoses, Pharsalia, and then loads of minor ones like Punica, Thebaid, Dionysiaca.

Start building a foundation of western lit (Plato, Bible, etc.) and you can move forward to later epic writers like Dante, Tasso, and Milton.

Also check out susan wise bauer's "the well educated mind" if you feel like you really don't know where to start, and/or have trouble understanding what you read.
>>
>>7801211
I didn't mean how I find the texts, I know that. I mean how do I go about actually READING the stuff without a professor telling me what to look for?

>>7801221
Thanks anon, any way I can go about the Bible? I know it doesn't exactly read well if I treat it like a novel (given that, yaknow, that's what I tried).
>>
File: 1456898782062.jpg (37 KB, 500x611) Image search: [Google]
1456898782062.jpg
37 KB, 500x611
>>7801245
>you need a professor to understand literature
Most classical texts have prefaces and notes anyway, lad.
>>
>>7801245
There are plenty of study bibles out there, but they will almost certainly be inclined towards helping your faith rather than your literary background. I heard that the oxford press kjv bible is annotated in reference to literature (ie the literary influence of the bible) rather than just christian spirituality. I can't confirm that as I'm waiting on that to come in the mail, myself. For a far more serious endeavor, Norton has a critical version of the kjv in two volumes (new/old testaments) floating around 4000 pages--about 2-3x the page count of the oxford edition, and with larger pages.

Hope that helps; I'm pretty much in the same boat as you with approaching the bible.
>>
>>7801190
>for fun
There's a lot more you can get out of it than just entertainment. That's why these works have survived millennia in some cases.
>>
>>7801190
kill yourself
>>
>>7801190
http://4chanlit.wikia.com/poetry
>>
>>7801245
Read a piece (or a chunk of piece)

Wikipedia

google an essay

Repeat
>>
>>7801190
>implying they do that in University

It's all about dat Global Fiction now famm
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.