[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In 2016, which is more patrician to speak? French, Greek, or Spanish?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5
File: val.jpg (122 KB, 718x559) Image search: [Google]
val.jpg
122 KB, 718x559
In 2016, which is more patrician to speak? French, Greek, or Spanish?
>>
English
>>
>>7801131
among plebs? french
learn german if you want to be patrician
>>
>>7801131
>Modern Greek
disgusting

>Modern Spanish
peasant vernacular

>Modern French
Still golden. In other words, the answer is French.
>>
How About Nihongo? The greatest writer of the century, Shigesato Itoi, is a native speaker of the language. The elves in Eragon are based on his nation's race and spirit. If you want to be an intellectual elite, you need to know the language of the Rising Sun.
>>
British English.

>>7801165
Is right if you want to be respected by /lit/erates.

>>7801178
Is right if you want to be respected by musicians and photographers.
>>
Your own native tongue in the most eloquent way possible
>>
german or russian?
>>
>>7801248
German. It's not close. There are like five russians worth reading. German speakers have the highest density of great work in the last five hundred years.
>>
>>7801257
i'm pretty new to /lit/, what german authors are worth reading aside from the obvious goethe, hesse, nietzche and suskind?

though, to be fair, i can only think of dostoyevsky, gontcharov, tolstoy and gogol when it comes to russian authors.
>>
>>7801277
German's victory is irrefragable before we leave the philosophy department.
Leibniz
Kant
Hegel
Heidegger
WIttgenstein
Nietzsche
Schopenhauer
Buber
Freud
Gadamer
Husserl
Spengler
Stirner
But for specifically lit, Mann, Bernhard, Rilke, Zweig, Schmidt, Grass, Brecht, Schiller. Probably some others I'm forgetting.
>>
German is the answer.

Also, add Kafka to the list of authors
>>
>>7801344
thanks man, i'll consider learning it then.
is it quite a tough language to learn? at least written?
>>
Greek > French > Spanish
>>
>>7801131
latin, ancient greek > the rest
>>
>>7801137
/thread
any other answer is objectively wrong
>>
>>7801358
Germany will be annexed by Syria in a few years.
>>
>>7801182
>British English.
Definitely. Glorious choice. American English is fucking abysmal.
>>
>>7801131
The association between Spanish and Latin America means it could never be considered "patrician".
>>
>>7801175
c'est vrai
>>
>>7801844
I know, the Spaniards haven't put out anything decent since Quixote and Latin America is basically carrying the languages reputation with writers like Borges and Cortázar
>>
>>7801847
c'est pas vrai, grenouille
>>
>>7801277
Eh there are definitely more great Russians to read (Pushkin, Chekhov, Bulgakov, Platonov, Zoshchenko, etc.) but for the most part they're hardly household names outside of Russian culture.

But one could say the same thing about the German fiction writers you listed.
>>
>>7801413
8 month of intensive course would do
>>
>>7801277
Max Frisch
Stefan Zweig
Hermann Hesse
Bertold Brecht
Friedrich Schiller
Rainer Maria Rilke
Georg Büchner (personal favorite)
Kurt Tucholsky
Heinrich Heine
Joseph von Eichendorff (personal favorite)
Gotthold Lessing
>>
>>7801165
>tfw considering getting a doctorate in comp lit with a focus on theater.
>main area of interest is Spanish Golden Age Lit, followed by 20th century Spanish theater, but I also want to start studying German theater
>Reading Kleist's Prince of Homburg, but it's hard to get a good translation
>It would also be useful to get into French Theater in original language
>leaning towards German though so I can read Walter Benjamin in his original language.
>>
>>7801872
Ferme ta gueule, vermine. En 2016, ne pas parler français est littéralement une honte.
>>
>>7801199
This.
>>
a true patrician would know english, german, french and spanish and have some passing familiarity with russian, mandarin and japanese desu

arabic can fuck off
>>
>>7803718
Funnily enough, you're a monoglot pleb.

Arabic should be among those.
>>
File: 1457639955818.png (337 KB, 453x478) Image search: [Google]
1457639955818.png
337 KB, 453x478
>>7801178
>If you want to be an intellectual elite, you need to know the language of the Rising Sun.
>>
>>7801358
disgusting pleb
>>
Besides Ancient Greek and Latin, I've learned both German and French which I found to exquisitely complete each other. I dislike Modern Greek because it barely shares anything with Ancien Greek. Living in the same country doesn't prove anything. Think about the way English evolved since 1600 and then ask yourself why Greek would have remained the same twenty-five centuries later. Moreover in the pronunciation, modern speakers don't make a difference between ὐμεῖς and ἡμεῖς. Referring to a sheep bleating, the poet Cratinus once wrote “βῆ, βῆ”. Who would pronounce it “vee, vee”? On a a more personal approach, I significantly prefer German. I have the feeling French let itself corrupt over the years with many English loanwords, a poor modern literature, a decaying conjugation and a mediocre education as a whole. I'm currently digging through Japanese and Chinese yet I'm not fluent enough to have an opinion.
>>
>>7801175
This, but Greek is interesting.

>>7801165
>among plebs? french
jej
De nos jours, l'anglais est véritablement une sous lingua-franca, le langage de la plèbe par excellence par son absence de difficultés et par le fait que les basses-couches de la société le parlent aussi, de même que tous les nouveaux-riches qui n'ont pour maître que l'Argent.
Les cours royales du monde entier savent probablement toujours le français.
>>
>>7803775
“Lingua franca” and “nouveaux riches” aren't joined with an hyphen. As far as I've seen, many—most?—French are struggling speaking English correctly.
>>
>>7803788
>As far as I've seen, many—most?—French are struggling speaking English correctly.

Et pendant ce temps, la quasi totalité des anglophones ne peut même pas faire une moitié de phrase en français sans se planter de manière ridicule donc arrête de te la péter gros :^)
>>
File: 1455581539992.jpg (68 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1455581539992.jpg
68 KB, 633x758
English and Chinese are the most patrician languages. French, Greek, and German will soon be dead languages replaced by Arabic.
>Yuros' faces when they realize their cultures haven't been relevant for almost 50 years
>>
>>7803813
>English is patrician

they're literally no argument to back this up bro
>>
>>7801131
spanish, greek, frrenish in that order
>>
File: DOYOUSPEAKENGLISHFAGGOT.jpg (55 KB, 500x257) Image search: [Google]
DOYOUSPEAKENGLISHFAGGOT.jpg
55 KB, 500x257
>>7803820
oh okay

>>7803813
Poor, poor Europeans. The money they skim off usury won't avail them if they don't breed as fast as the Muslims.
>>
>>7803811
Si dans l'ensemble les Français ne parlent pas très bien anglais, ils ne maîtrisent pas davantage une autre langue. À l'inverse, de nombreux anglophones parlent – ou cherchent à apprendre à parler – ou français, ou espagnol, ou un autre langage. Quoi qu'il en soit, chacun a ses compétences et son individualité. Voyez-vous, vous-même ne semblez être à l'aise ni en français, ni en anglais, et pourtant vous vous drapez volontiers dans le succès de vos compatriotes. Manqueriez-vous tant de réussite pour ainsi tirer dans votre direction celle des autres ?

>>7803813
Actually, the number of French speakers will considerably explode in the next decades thanks to Africa. According to a couple of studies conducted by the OLF, 715,000,000 individuals will have French as their mother tongue in 2050, which accounts for approximately 8% of the estimated world popuation. 85% of them will live in Africa.
>>
>>7803847
>À l'inverse, de nombreux anglophones parlent – ou cherchent à apprendre à parler – ou français, ou espagnol, ou un autre langage.

Parce qu'ils arrivent du Mexique :^)
>>
>>7803870
Tenez-vous à argumenter de la pureté ethnique de votre pays ?
>>
>>7803837
You do realize that the plebs are literally the unwashed masses that speak a simple common tongue while the patricians are the exact opposite, right?
>>
>>7803847
grasping for straws. french won't be their native language.
>>
>>7803882
It may not be the exact same French as it is supposedly spoken in continental France—“supposedly” thanks to immigration—yet it's still French, and still their mother tongue. I aknowledge the future isn't that bright on a literary point of view but I still have hopes wealth and better education will lead to authors of higher quality.
>>
>>7803847
I'd like to see your sources to back up your claim that many anglos learn other languages, especially Americans and do so to a degree vastly outnumbering the average French person. Anecdotal evidence won't do. There is no need for the average American to learn another language unless they live near Mexico or Quebec.

There's no middle ground with the French it seems; they're either jingoistic tools or self deprecating ponces

>vousvoyer sur 4chan

va-t'en
>>
>>7801737
>>>/pol/
>>
>>7803771
>I've learned both German and French which I found to exquisitely complete each other

Really? I know french, and spanish (natively), but german scares me
>>
>>7803956
It's much convenient you suddenly care about backing up the conversation with evidences. What about providing them regarding your bold assertion “nearly all English speakers are incapable of making up half a sentence in French”? Or maybe that they might speak a second language because “they come from Mexico”? Should we speak about PISA or EF ranking, and the results France got? Anyway, I hope you're not representing any fellow Frenchmen.

>>7803956
I'm entitled to my opinion, that's the feeling I got when I learned and read in them. German has a long, common literary tradition with French and their very respective grammars seem like a perfect fit.
>>
>>7803892
French is mostly a second language in Africa, but in some areas it has become a first language, such as in the region of Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire and in Libreville, Gabon.
>>
>>7803976
Indeed, I quickly retrieved the article overview and I made a mistake.
>>
>>7803956
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU_Y6cpn4bk
>>
>>7803970
>I'm entitled to my opinion, that's the feeling I got when I learned and read in them. German has a long, common literary tradition with French and their very respective grammars seem like a perfect fit.

So, would you say I might have an easier time learning german since I already know french?
>>
>>7803998
there is something really wrong with her eyes but I can't tell what it is
>>
>>7803999
Honestly? Yes. It might not be the same word order and French may lack declensions, I feel it has the same spirit and, more practically, a quite similar phonology. I don't know how to explain it and I may be wrong but I think these two should definitely be learned together.
>>
File: uguu.jpg (144 KB, 1000x556) Image search: [Google]
uguu.jpg
144 KB, 1000x556
>>7804003
Like this?

I thought the girl's eyes, voice, and pecks into German were pretty cute, but thatjussme.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.