[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Faulkner
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: faulkner.jpg (15 KB, 162x227) Image search: [Google]
faulkner.jpg
15 KB, 162x227
i want to start reading his work but idk where to start

where would you suggest the best place starting with him is
>>
chronologically. start with sartoris
>>
File: image.jpg (169 KB, 710x956) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
169 KB, 710x956
Joyce did it better, family.
>>
i've read as i lay dying and the sound and the fury. As I Lay Dying was the easier of the two, but i'd say start with his short stories. Specifically, A Rose For Emily will give you a pretty good feel for him before diving into one of his novels.
>>
File: camus.jpg (58 KB, 802x960) Image search: [Google]
camus.jpg
58 KB, 802x960
>>7800925
anyone got one of pic related for faulkner (or any other author?
>>
>>7800953
>>7800935
thanks, which shorts are worth reading other than the ones you listed?
>>
>>7800935
>Chronologically
>start with Sartoris

Pick one. Faulkner's first novel is Soldier's Pay. I like it quite a bit, so I would recommend it, but maybe not first, because it won't show Faulkner's true greatness. I would recommend As I Lay Dying, but honestly you can't miss. Everything I've read by him is pretty damn good.

If you're into pulpier kind of stuff, you could check out Sanctuary, his most commercially successful novel.

His masterpiece is either The Sound and the Fury or Absolom, Absolom! But I wouldn't recommend starting with either unless you supplement them with criticism/ are already somewhat aware of Faulkner's concepts and favored subject matter.
>>
>>7800983
Not him, but Dry September, That Evening Sun, Red Leaves, Ad Astra, and The Bear are all great stories.
>>
>>7800925
As I Lay Dying would be great to start off with, or a few of his short stories.
>>
Don't read Go Down, Moses! It's boring as all hell.
>>
In this order:

As I Lay Dying --> Sound and the Fury --> Absalom, Absalom!
>>
>>7801599
That's the only Faulkner I have read and I knew by the end of the first paragraph that he far superior to Hemingway of whom I had read five books at the time. Go Down Moses was great. You will never get to hunt a bear that your ancestors hunted, why even live?
>>
File: m22.png (865 KB, 1280x694) Image search: [Google]
m22.png
865 KB, 1280x694
>>7801806
>>7801599
>>7801594
>>7801545
>>7801542
thanks a lot,

>>7801640
i noticed a couple of people in other threads saying to start with his shorts, i will probably read some shorts and then go in this order, thanks
>>
>>7801542
>tfw loved Sound and the Fury but couldn't really into Absalom, Absalom!
>>
>>7802234
did you read sound and fury first?
>>
>>7802248
Yes, and As I Lay Dying. I dunno, I think based on the other two I was expecting a Rashomon thing from Absalom with each narrator having a really distinctive voice and telling very different versions of events. Instead everybody seemed to talk like Faulkner (implausibly long and complex sentences supposedly spoken aloud) and it just seemed to revolve very slowly around the same events described in the same ways.

I'll give it another go at some point, though, and I know I'll read Sound again because that's one of my favourite books.
>>
>>7800935
>>7801542
yeah, I posted in a hurry. I meant chronologically as the first book set in yoknapatawpha
>>
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>7804637
what does 'starting with the greeks' mean?

after the iliad and odyssey, where does one go?
>>
>>7804827
Oedipus and Antigone, Ovid's Metamorphosis, Sappho's poems I guess? I'm sure there's more but I never really cared enough to look into the start with the greeks meme that closely.
>>
>>7800983
'Barn Burning' is pretty dope. Also, I hated 'rose for emily' as my first Faulkner read but just a week later acknowledged 'as I lay dying' as one of the best books I've ever read in my life
>>
>>7804827
ALL the dramas and ALL the comedies.
There aren't that many, lets be real.

That said, are there any good epics other than the two main ones?
>>
>>7804924
>>7804878
what specific books are you referring to?

other than metamorphosis
>>
Is there a Faulkner story that involves a couple in a car, a burning field, and somebody getting shot? Or am I thinking of a story by someone else or just imagining it.

>>7804924
Pharsalia/Bellum civile and Statius' Thebaid
>>
>>7806271
>ovid
>greek
Aristophanes, aichylos etc.
There's a list of all the existing dramas and comedies, you couls just read them all. I think there are about 40 orso
>>
File: 1456465872958.jpg (164 KB, 1500x1348) Image search: [Google]
1456465872958.jpg
164 KB, 1500x1348
>>7800955
Only got Kafka
>>
I started with intruder in the dust, did i fuck up
it was a bit of a chore to read at times
>>
probably not a bad idea to start with short stories like A Rose For Emily
>>
>>7807275
What font is this?
>>
Anyone here managed to get through his trilogy? I quit after 250 pages of the first book. The first 70 of the last one were amazing, tho.
>>
What about Sanctuary? It's the only book I have.
>>
just me or is the number of Faulkner and Hemingway threads up as of late?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.