[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some books similar to pic related?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
What are some books similar to pic related?
>>
File: PulpNovel.jpg (29 KB, 192x284) Image search: [Google]
PulpNovel.jpg
29 KB, 192x284
pic related
>>
>>7798917
Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me
>>
>>7799530
This is a much better book. Highly recommended.

Not really similar beyond the counterculture thing, but go for it anyhow.
>>
>>7799505
this.. basically the same thing
>>
all Chandler's Marlowe books. also Nobody Move by Denis Johnson.

i wonder how Stephen King would write a hard-boiled detective story. would he take the Pynchon deconstructive/pastiche route or modernize the tropes? eh, it would probably have a weak third act, anyways.
>>
>>7799723
>eh,
>>
Does anyone else get a vibe of John Le Carre when reading Inherent Vice?
>>
>>7799723
I thought Stephen King did try out the hard-boiled detective thang?
>>
>>7798917
Vineland reads like a first draft of IV, except the focus is more on Shasta/Frenesi than Doc/Zoyd
>>
>>7800624
did he? with what book? i haven't read much by him, just several novels and I do not think any of the batch i've read is a take on a detective story.

>>7800654
nah, not really. i recently reread both and besides some similarities between protagonists, they were nothing alike.
>>
Bleeding Edge is very much a spiritual sequel to this one, picking up on a lot of the threads (especially on ARPAnet, of course). Not sure which I prefer but I think both are quite good.
>>
>>7800559
in what way?
>>
>>7800804
I never read it, but commercials for the TV series that I also never watched make me think The Dead Zone was his attempt at a paranormal detective story.
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 220x325) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 220x325
Finished that? This comes next.
>>
>>7800948
this man knows
>>
>>7801184
oh god that sucked and the pages smelled like toxic waste
>>
>>7801197
stop posting, harold
>>
>>7801184
Or the crying of lot 49. Crying of lot 49, Inherent vice and Vineland are arguably a trilogy.
>>
>>7801216
So, argue for it.
>>
>>7801216
They have nods to one another and take place in vaguely the same area over three decades, but I wouldn't really call them a trilogy.
>>
>>7798917
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Budding Prospects
On the Road
Reefer Madness
Marijuana Grower's Guide
Pot Culture
>>
James Crumley. He wrote hardboiled fiction set in the 70s, typically in California. It doesn't have the same verbal panache of Pinecone but in terms of milieu and plotting it's probably the closest you're going to get.
>>
>>7801247
This.

Read his earlier books first though (The Wrong Case, Dancing Bear, and especially The Last Good Kiss). His later books are far more scattershot.
>>
>>7801181
ah, gotcha. i'll give that one a read soon. i remember seeing the movie a few years ago and it was entertaining enough.

anyways, what did you guys think of the Inherent Vice movie? i think it failed to capture the humor of the novel effectively. i dug the film but it was its own entity.
>>
>>7801427
I liked it for what it was, but yeah, it did its own thing instead of trying to be an accurate adaptation.
>>
>>7799530

Is it any good ? Translation cost 30e
>>
>>7799530
Does anyone have an epub of this? Can't find it anywhere.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.