[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do people read? I need constant distractions to save me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: 1430343731439.jpg (129 KB, 800x999) Image search: [Google]
1430343731439.jpg
129 KB, 800x999
How do people read?
I need constant distractions to save me from my brain. If I stop having music, tv, movies, vidya, or some other media distracting me I'll just start thinking about my life and everything I'm worried about or interested in.

A few seconds into reading my mind will be filled with bombardments random thoughts and I'll just stare blankly at the page (strangely doesn't happen with non-fiction). Is this normal? How do people fight it?

Do I need drugs or should I just not try to read while dealing with boyfriend problems?
>>
You have ADHD. See a doctor.
>>
>>7797173
I really don't want to take drugs for fake problems
>>
File: 1442245089131.jpg (52 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1442245089131.jpg
52 KB, 540x540
>>7797171
>dealing with boyfriend problems?
REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>7797176
Clearly it's a real problem.
>>
>>7797182
but Chesterton says...
>>
>>7797184
Who? If you want to read and can't because reasons, then there's a problem. Overcome it by whatever means. Most people can read.
>>
I just like encountering new ideas. They don't have to be particularly deep or sophisticated, they just have to be new.
>>
>>7797189
uh....okay
>>
>>7797171
Try meditating.

Sounds silly, but it really helps with my OCD.
>>
>>7797171
Drugs can obviously help, but you don't want to have to rely on a drug every time you want to read do you?

Find a book that is more interesting to you.

I am exactly the same way. Adderall helps a lot, but I don't need it for a great book.

What do you like?

If you don't know, then try reading a lot of short works and see what interests you. Something will definitely click. There are things in your life that you can concentrate on, right?
If there is literally nothing that interests you then you might be depressed. If that is true then talk to someone.
>>
File: 1452448338031.jpg (4 KB, 249x175) Image search: [Google]
1452448338031.jpg
4 KB, 249x175
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
>>
I'm the same way. ADHD and everything. I take adderall sometimes but I read off of it as well, it's slower but if I'm patient I really get a lot out of whatever I'm reading. I'm trying to slowly lesson distractions as well, it feels good to be able to do one thing quietly. and again like other anons have said it's much easier if you're actually enjoying the book, and usually you can find yourself getting into a rhythm after a few pages where you're sucked in
>>
>>7797171
discipline
train yourself to focus only on the book
the more you do it the easier it gets
you don't need drugs
>>
>>7797271
This
Remember that General Patton was dyslexic and still made it through West Point Military Academy.
>>
>>7797230
>it isn't a race
this part is so important
it took me a very long time to read ulysses, (zero annotations or notes mind you) and i re-read entire chapters at certain points, some days i could only get through 2-3 pages. but it's so worth it
>>
>>7797171
amphetamine and a quiet environment will get you really far
>>
>>7797194
Seconding this OP, meditation, Yoga, Taoism are all helpful steps towards helping calm your cognitive dissonance.
<3 I feel for you.
>>
>>7797171
you just read, dummy
>>
>>7797171
I really, REALLY like this picture.
>>
>>7797171
>I'll just start thinking about my life and everything I'm worried about or interested in.
Thats the point
>>
desu OP reading is my only hobby and I'm yr 3/4 in my English degree.

I still can't read often. anyone born in a 1st world country 1991+ is basically fucked. it's only my interest in literature that lets me read at all.
>>
>>7797171

Try to isolate yourself from the outside world for 30 min or 1 hour, then do something that forces you to concentrate (eg maths, etc...)

I have roughly the same problem and I think it's the best solution, since being isolated gives you the means to concentrate, then doing something difficult diverts your attention from yourself.

But if it doesn't work, talk to someone
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.