[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
From what I remember, /lit/ tends to hate self-inserts. Is this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_nzoffiQwK01sgkcsto3_540.png (182 KB, 540x316) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzoffiQwK01sgkcsto3_540.png
182 KB, 540x316
From what I remember, /lit/ tends to hate self-inserts.
Is this true?

If so, why? Why is it you hate self-inserts?
If you discovered that the MC in a novel you enjoyed was a self-insert, would it change your opinion on either the work or on the idea of self-inserts in general?

I'm aware that a lot of teenagers are all Ayy Lmao about it and think they're special so they use a SI and it makes the story boring as fuck.
But honestly, this is like saying all books are bad because Twilight was published.

Some enlightenment?
>>
Do you mean self-insert or author-insert?
>>
>>7794885
The author making the Main Character himself, writing himself into the story. I'm not sure of the nuance between the two things you said.
>>
>>7794897
Ok. When I hear self-insert, I think reader insert, which is sure to be pandering wish-fulfillment escapist trash.

Author insert can be that too but if you refused to reading anything semi-autobiographical you'd be missing out on a shit ton of great novels.
>>
>>7794897
I think some part of the author leaking into the story and especially the main characters is kind of inevitable. There's plenty of works that were based mostly on the authors experiences and are also good(like pretty much everything Hemingway ever wrote).
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.