[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quick question, is this a /lit/ approved e-reader? Kindle 4th
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: kindle-wi-fi-8.jpg (29 KB, 530x297) Image search: [Google]
kindle-wi-fi-8.jpg
29 KB, 530x297
Quick question, is this a /lit/ approved e-reader? Kindle 4th gen
Also general e-reader thread i guess
>>
>>7792918
>e-readers
>>
/lit/ doesn't have a preferred e-reader, so long as it has light.

I personally recommend the Kindle Paperwhite. I have the previous gen one and it has paid itself and more.
>>
>>7792953
seconding the PW
still using the PW 1. shame about the buggy software though
>>
Is it true that copyrighted books will disappear from your Kindle?
>>
>>7792918
I'm just gonna end up converting all my Epubs to mobi and then dumping them on my Kindle.
I would buy the PW but i am poorfag at the moment and i only have £45 to splash. Also tbqh i'm not a fan of the touchscreens, retarded i know.
>>
My used 30$ kobo is at the customs, wish me luck lads, complete Augustine here I come
>>
i have the 4, and i've had it for a long time, pretty much the best thing i ever bought tbhfam, see no reason to upgrade
>>
Either Kindle Paperwhite or Kobo Glo/H20

both have pluses and minuses
>>
What do my Paperwhite bros use for font settings?

Bookerly, 2nd smallest font, smallest spacing
>>
>>7792918
>Quick question, is this a /lit/ approved e-reader?
Kobo Glo HD

but you can buy what you want if you read
>>
>>7793093

This, except usually the 2nd or 3rd largest size. Guess I'm blind
>>
My kindle updated its software and suddenly all the books i had on it were gone. Anyone know why? would the fact that they're all pirated books have anything to do with it?
>>
>>7792991
Has not happened to me... yet. But I do not think it will happen.

>>7793030
Why not convert them to AZW3 while you are at it?

>>7793093
Me too. Sometimes 3rd smallest front. Bookerly is a rather good font, but I bet it looks better on a 300p screen.

Has anyone here tried the Kindle Voyage? How is it compared to the PW? I don't think I will change anytime soon, but I'm still curious about it.
>>
>>7793186

No, just restart it
>>
>>7792991
They use them to send you advertisements on your prime account, but otherwise not in the least.
>>
>>7793186
This happened to me, I read it was due to a corrupted .mobi.

I converted my books to azw3 and it worked again.
>>
Has anyone had success using an e-reader for magazines? I'd like to be able to read back issues of Analog or something. I suppose the screen needs to be rather large to read comfortably. I have an old Nook Color that works okay for books, but not this.
>>
>>7793093
>Bookerly

That's such a shit font. They have super high res screen, and it's all wasted on dull lines, that old 800x600 kindles looks better with custom fonts. No idea whether you can mod paperwite with new fonts, if not just embed the books you read in calibre. I'm certain that works.

You can get Liberation Serif, Droid Serif or PT serif for free. Then you can Pirate Adobe's Caslon/Garamond/Minon. "Apples" Iowan Old Style (one of my favourites).
But lately I'm in favour of web designed fonts, most of them are easily ripped from various webpages in woff format and then converted to otf or ttf. Guardian's EgyptianWeb series works especially well on eink devices.
>>
>>7793093
Same here, but with Caecilia.
>>
>>7793093
Same, but I use the 5th smallest font
>>
Are there any decent alternatives to Kindle Paperwhite that have advantages over it like more formats, less copy protection?
>>
>>7793235
e-readers are terrible for that. use a tablet instead.

>>7794569
kobo
>>
>>7794569
You don't need 'more formats' - everything relevant is available as epub/mobi/azw3 and calibre conversion takes 2 seconds
>>
If youre a poorfag, i suggest the Kobo touch. Sadly no backlight, but its alright with no frills. Does what its meant to do

Maybe once I get into reading a bit more I'll upgrade to a glo.
>>
>>7793093
my kindle doesn't have bookerly so i use futura, default spacing and font size because i'm blind as fuck

i love getting endless books for free and love the ereader itself but i can't read it in low light because even on the lowest brightness the screen reflects off of my glasses which is annoying and negates wearing them in the first place
>>
>>7795170
Mine is in the customs. 30$ is damn cheap
>>
>>7795978
It's like 90 euro here. Are you talking about a different version than 2.0 or directly from China?
>>
KOBO
O
B
O

GLO
L
O

HD
D
>>
>>7796208
Used from eBay
>>
>tfw bought a kindle to save some money
>take books from the library every once in a while
>also have bunch of books I bought and haven't read yet

I haven't been using it. My backlog keeps growing, I can't imagine how it'll be once I start.
>>
>>7792918
I just use a nook simple touch I got a few years ago as as a gift
it's pretty nice, has a backlight, touch interface that doesn't make you deal with the shitty button layouts on older kindles (admittedly not the most responsive but it works), and it's really easy to just drag and drop files into, which is more than I can say for the 2nd gen kindle I used to use.

Haven't noticed any problems other than it being awful at pictures/diagrams like most shitty e-readers. Got it for free so I'm not complaining. Backlight is really just lovely to have.
>>
What's the benefit of an ereader vs any other tablet?
>>
>>7797357
Are you serious mate?
Ereaders look almost exactly like paper, have no eye straining glow and the battery lasts forever
>>
>>7796990
I got one because I lived in a tiny apartment and books were starting to stack everywhere and my wife got it for my birthday.

I continue to use it 7 years later because I list my "To-Read" books on goodreads and then download them en-masse from btdigg
>>
>>7797372
Never owned either, never used an ereader. I don't like buying single-purposed items if I really don't need to. I'm not against trying one out though. So far I've just read actual books, or read books on my laptop or desktop.
>>
>>7797389
I'm usually very luddite, don't own a phone and such, but I got an ebook gifted and I loved it, especially since I live in a small town in the mountains where I'd have to order every book and wait 4 days for it to get here. With the ebook it doesn't strain my eyes at all and I have every book at my disposal.

It's pretty neat senpai.
>>
>>7797389
>single-purposed items

In this case its very preferred. Trying to read a book on a regular tablet will just result in failure, since you'll end up getting distracted by SOMETHING. Dunno why Kindle Fire is even a thing.
>>
>>7797409
Tell me about your living situation, it sounds nice.
>>
where are my rich fags here who bought a kindle voyage?
>>
File: 1360966496-10.jpg (191 KB, 1067x800) Image search: [Google]
1360966496-10.jpg
191 KB, 1067x800
>>7797547
I live in a small town (25k people) called El Bolson in Patagonia, against the Andes, and closest proper huge city is 20 hours drive away so that plus processing and them stopping by in towns and shit, usually takes 3 to 4 days for books to arrive.

Internet and a Kindle kind of takes care of that.
>>
>>7797560
Do you work? What's life like in El Bolson?
>>
File: 3r3r.jpg (358 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
3r3r.jpg
358 KB, 720x960
>>7797566
It's a pretty nice small town, nature is great, it's all forest, clear water. No predators or animals at all, even mosquitos, so you can literally walk anywhere in the forest knowing you'll be alright.

I work in real estate and doing pretty alright. My fiancee is swedish, met her while travelling and lives with me, but we spend maybe 2 or 3 months a year in Sweden. It's nice to get out a bit, Patagonia is very tranquil but very isolated as well. People tend to mind their own business around here, not extremely social.
>>
>>7797577
>I work in real estate
mostly eurotrash and murrican fat retirees?
>>
>>7797645
Nope, for a couple of reasons. Anything 100km from the border is Frontier Security Area, which includes a good part of the Andes, meaning no foreigners can own land here unless they have the argie nationality or residency, and also it's a pain in the ass to bring money into Argentina in the first place, so most foreigners just give up even if they find a way around the first thing.

Basically, about 1% of our clients are foreign. We do have lots of murricans that come in and usually don't buy because of those conditions, usually are disappointed about it. Just today I had an ex marine from Illinois.
>>
File: le_artiste.jpg (25 KB, 298x268) Image search: [Google]
le_artiste.jpg
25 KB, 298x268
>>7797671
>>
I have a Kobo Aura. Only complaint I have is that you cannot zoom out on pdf documents, you can only zoom in. This means that for some documents I've downloaded, the text is stupidly large (like one word taking up half the screen) and there is no way around it.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.