[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Russian literature's 'poshlost' equivalent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 463x838) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 463x838
Is Russian literature's 'poshlost' equivalent to Japanese anime's 'kawaii'?
>>
>>7792319
No, but it's a term that does not deserve a Wikipedia page of it's own
>>
Almost the opposite, sir. In Japan, and especially in the Japanese animes, kawaii is a "magic term" that encompasses everything acceptable and desirable. It is an ideal, THE ideal, a hyperscopic examination of the contemporary Japanese's deepest and dearest values. It could be compared to the Platonic ideal of the Beautiful. If you were to ask the average Japanese person what occurred to them upon hearing the word "kanzen" (perfect), most would likely envision a smiling Reimu Hakurei or Rei Ayanami. This is true even for intellectuals.
>>
>>7792348
>sir
Please be bait.
>>
File: hahaha.jpg (12 KB, 231x363) Image search: [Google]
hahaha.jpg
12 KB, 231x363
>>7792348
thanks for the new pasta
>>
>>7792319
пoшлocь literally means either vulgarity or platitude, so no
>>
File: NEET SWAT.png (418 KB, 448x486) Image search: [Google]
NEET SWAT.png
418 KB, 448x486
>2016
>Wanting Russians to have anything in common with the Japanese

Not until the latter stop taking fucking anime/manga seriously.

I'm not actually trashing them; but both are held in the same light as serious/proper literature by the Japanese. It's unconscionable.
>>
File: 1446430517349.jpg (35 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1446430517349.jpg
35 KB, 500x375
>>7792319
Where did you even get this idea?

A quick google search of each word shows that they are completely different.

Like not even close at all.

>>7792348
WEW
>>
>>7793014
>Where did you even get this idea?
I mean, in the sense that it is supposedly a word that cannot be translated proper. The sort of word that only a native to the culture can truly understand.
>>
>>7793483
You probably should have included that in the OP.
Even then, that idea is just a stupid one pushed by profs that can't/won't explain it thoroughly.
>>
No, and I suspect you never seriously meant to ask. 'Poshlost', as I understand it, implies a fundamental pretension to greatness borne out of ignorance and misunderstanding.

If poshlost appears 'cute', it is because you can see it from a position of superiority and finn something adorable about how pathetic it is. If there is anything that is simultaneously poshlost and kawaii, things derived from Key VNs would be the closest to being that.
>>
>>7793483
That at least makes more sense. That is a stupid comparison though.

Keep anime away from Russian lit in all ways. They are so different it's incredible.

I'm unironically reeing over here.
>>
>>7793609
>Keep anime away from Russian lit in all ways. They are so different it's incredible.

I don't actually agree with this at all. I actually found myself loving Russian literature because I was surprised at how much it felt like anime to me, and especially in comparison to most other lit. I honestly have to ask what makes you feel they are so far apart.
>>
>>7793632
Anime is for nerds and Russian literature is for erudite people like me
>>
>>7793632
Same here, comrade. Point in case (though, as I am "gay," it may not be relatable for you common or garden Anonymes) -- the character of Alyosha, from The Brothers Karamazov, a long and difficult murder mystery by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

The positively glowing, deific terms with which the character was described enraptured me even more than most moe characters do. He is an angel in flesh, sweet and lamblike and impossible not to adore. Oh, how I've fantasized about the games we'd play, were only he real! And is that not the quintessential Otaku experience?

He predated -- no, he presaged the moe aesthetic itself! And he is not the only one. What of the tender "idiot" Prince Myshkin, from the same author's The Idiot? And there are many beautiful girls in the thrillers of Leo Tolstoy. Need I go on?

These wonderful books need anime adaptations, methinks.
>>
>>7793632
>>7793662

Nicholas' enraptured love and respect towards the Emperor in War and Peace is pretty anime m8
>>
File: 3BYPTXB.jpg (71 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
3BYPTXB.jpg
71 KB, 1280x720
>>7793632
What?
Anime seems to be the most shallow medium overall.

Like the difference between the show in the picture and Notes from the Underground. One character is introspective, intelligent and extremely self aware, while the other just complains.

Anime rarely has any depth and when it does, it is only relative to the general shallowness of the medium.

Anime is like YA, it can be entertaining but that is about it.

There's barely an anime I would say I completely liked, most others have me cringing multiple times.

Russian lit sends shivers down my spine, it feels raw and real, where most anime feels manufactured and full of rehashed anime stereotypes.

What animes remind you of Russian lit?
>>
>>7792319
my parents are russian

i asked mother a while ago what poshlost meant and she had trouble explaining to me since my Russian isn't great

she kinda simplified it down to "those girls who wear really revealing trashy clothes and heels to school is what you would call poshlost"
>>
>>7793988
how is tomoko not self-aware you bubbort
>>
>>7793988
Neon Genesis Evangelion. Haibane Renmei. Serial Experiments Lain. Mushishi. Mononoke. Number 5. Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu. Fate/Zero. Monster. Aria. Honey and Clover. Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. Natsume Yuujinchou. Kaiba. Grave of the Fireflies. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. Nodame Cantabile. Kino's Journey. Fool. Fool. Fool.

You have to delve to find gold. But not far, with anime or Russian literature.
>>
>>7793988
Tomoko is painfully aware of what she's doing and does it anyway, like the underground man.
>>
>>7794010
>Grave of the Fireflies.
Overrated as all hell. It only gets the level of praise it does because it makes people cry, and it mostly just makes people cry because of cheap emotional manipulation using a little girl.

Definitely among Miazaki's weakest.
>>
>>7793004
>implying that there aren't some anime/manga worthy of being held up with 'serious' literature
>>
File: 1349564569241.jpg (67 KB, 523x474) Image search: [Google]
1349564569241.jpg
67 KB, 523x474
>>7794026
>Definitely among Miazaki's weakest.

please tell me you're joking
>>
>>7794026
Tolstoy would disagree with you.
>>
>>7793996
>bubbort
What does this mean?

But anyway, she is constantly trying all those different things to get friends. That is not self-aware, or at least a very low level of self-awareness. The Underground man would not do anything at all unless it was out of spite and he is the one to tell you this.
He sees the pathetic side of himself and has no delusions. Tomoko shows many times that she thinks people notice her when in reality they pay her no mind. All of her self-awareness comes from this mistaken belief. She is a lot younger though.

>>7794010
I've seen some of these; Serial Experiments Lain I liked, but it was like cyber punk. Neon Genesis Evangelion was like something postmodern as it was critiquing the genre and making fun of the fans. I liked it but it didn't seem at all like Russian lit.
Grave of the Fireflies is most like Russian lit in that it had that perseverance in spite of the desperate situation.

Maybe I'll check out some of these other ones you mentioned.
>>
File: datputinface.jpg (69 KB, 1025x921) Image search: [Google]
datputinface.jpg
69 KB, 1025x921
>>7792319
No, not in the slightest.
>>
>>7794042
>actually thinking Grave of the Fireflies is worth anything
Good gravy Anon, when's the last time you've watched it?

It's so shallow, so devoid of anything interesting or meaningful. There's no creativity, it has nothing to say beyond expressing how much it sucked living in that place and time, which has been done much much better in other places. It is by far his least interesting and most shallow work he has made. Not his worst certainly, several of his movies just didn't work out very well, as a whole, just the least interesting. It's no where near in the same league as the likes of Spirited Away or Porco Rosso or The Wind Rises.
>>
>>7794058
Yeah that's great and all but Miyazaki didn't direct Grave of the Fireflies.
>>
>>7793988
Sailor Moon

Specifically, it was on reading Anna Karenina that I found that the way the characters were portrayed, how they interacted induced in me similar kinds of feelings. The vast majority of anime is trash though. I'd never thought to include stuff like Watamote and that's not what I'm arguing in favour of in the comparison.
>>
>>7792348
This post is poshlost
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.