[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of pic related, /lit/? I always liked their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: barnes-and-noble-storefront.jpg (92 KB, 768x512) Image search: [Google]
barnes-and-noble-storefront.jpg
92 KB, 768x512
What do you think of pic related, /lit/?

I always liked their book selection and how kind the place felt. Maybe that's just the location by me though.
>>
>>7792112
Overpriced books. Just go to a used book shop and get the same thing for half the price. Or even better, go to a thrift shop and get it for a dollar. Even Amazon and Abe Books are cheaper than big book stores.
>>
>>7792119
agreed anon
>>
>>7792119
new book smell is GOAT though
>>
>>7792112
like them because they're easy to steal from
>>
They're great when you're in college and you think moral relativism is the same as moral nihilism because everything is just water anyways, and you use this as justification to steal from them.

I used to sell their books across the street at a used bookstore and then go buy a bottle of Three Wishes Cabernet for $3 at whole foods with my "earnings".
>>
>>7792149
Yeah, but you can also get new book smell from Amazon, which is usually cheaper.
>>
>>7792189
>a bottle of Three Wishes Cabernet for $3 at whole foods
They have wine at Whole Foods ? Last time I went there I looked around the entire store and didn't see any wine there.
>>
I miss borders.
>the days when you were younger, could go into borders, grab some manga, sit on a couch and read for a few hours
I miss those days
>>
>>7792112

I buy the vast majority of my books from Amazon and secondhand.

However, I go to B&N to shop for and flip through potential buys (to then buy elsewhere), and sometimes they sell their hardcover overstock dirt cheap. Found many heavily-discounted treasures that way.
>>
Is b&n like chapters in America? I live in Canada and have never seen a B&N store
>>
They never have anything I want and can get everything they have cheaper online.
Comfy store to jerk around in for an hour.
>>
very comfy atmosphere. i also like their deluxe hardcovers. just bought the Heinlein one a couple days ago
>>
>>7793618

Yup, exactly. Your basic, big-bookstore-chain-with-coffe-house-annex.
>>
Like others have said, B&N has a pretty comfy atmosphere, and I've never had a bad experience in one. I have two within a ~15 minute drive and they both stock different books which is nice for aimless browsing. If I'm actively searching out a book though I'll probably check it out on Amazon first, or maybe a couple of the local bookstores. I'll keep buying books at B&N though, because I don't want it to go the way of Border's.
>>
I go there to shit talk books I don't like, badger small crowd authors signings, hit on chicks, and make small talk with the employees. That accounts for 60%of the time I spend there, the other 40% is spent actually reading books I wouldn't feel comfortable buying
>>
It depends on the city, tbqh. I current live in San Diego, and they're basically the only game in town if you're looking for a brick-and-mortar bookstore, and I'm happy enough that they are here.

However, if I lived in, say, Seattle or Portland, I'd probably be frequenting places like Third Place or Elliott Bay or Powells.

The vast majority of my actual purchases are done on Amazon, though.
>>
>>7792112
go to a used book store. the only reason i go here is to get cds and read books i dont want to buy.
>>
>>7793771
What part of San Diego? Why not go to Adam's Avenue Books or even DG Wills if you're near UCSD? Hell, even the library branch up Washington Street has a pretty good bargain selection most days.
>>
>>7793796

I'm up in Escondido actually, so it's especially slim pickings around here (there's a small used bookstore in Escondido, but it's 50% paperback romances, 30% Christian theology, 19% sci-fi paperbacks, 1% anything halfway decent). I commute to downtown SD though, so there are options, though they're all kind of out of the way for me. I hadn't heard of Adam's Avenue books before; will have to check it out.
>>
>>7793796
Seconding Adam's Avenue. There is Farenheit in Carlsbad as well.
>>
>>7794612
I'm always disappointed when I go to Fahrenheit books. I swear the guy hasn't changed his stock in years. If anything, he's probably sold more books than he's taken in. He does have an older copy of Edmund Wilson's On the Shores of Light that I've been debating buying for 3 years now.
>>
File: IMAG0177.jpg (3 MB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0177.jpg
3 MB, 1520x2688
>>7793823
If it's any incentive, I saw they had this edition of McElroy's A Smuggler's Bible for cheap (in the Contemporary Lit section) the last time I was in there.
>>
It's pretty shameful when even /lit/ is inundated with viral marketing threads.
>>
britbong here, i think waterstones is our equivalent of b&n. i don't live near any second hand bookshops bar charity shops and they're full of shit chickflicks and granny novels about twee villages. the oxfam bookshop i live near has a literature section but the books look like someone has sent them through a fucking washing machine

i love my local waterstones, it's in a really shit part of the city though so is a pain to get to, but i don't really mind paying full price for books since new book smell + perfect condition book which i'm fussy about i guess. i also have a stampcard thing where if i spend £100 i get £10 store credit which is nice.
>>
>>7793771
Pennywise Books in PB always has a nice selection.
>>
Is Barnes and Noble's selection really that bad or are people just saying that because they don't have rare shit? I've been reading from kindle and was probably gonna switch to physical soon and was gonna use B and N to shop for books since its really the only bookstore in my area.
>>
>>7795919
i've had better luck with local bookstores but then again i'm in seattle so we have some good ones.
>>
>>7795937
But what kind of stuff do they tend to be missing. For example, here's my reading list for up to mid May.
Blood Meridian
As I Lay Dying
Goethe’s Faust
One Hundred Years of Solitude
The Crying of Lot 49 and a bit of Tolstoy’s shorter work including Ivan Ilyich
Lolita
Balzac (Pere Goriot)
Madame Bovary
Henry James
Plus some Calvino if I have time. Would it be likely that they're missing a decent amount of this stuff?
>>
>>7795971
You can find all of those at Barnes and Noble.
>>
>>7792189
>not just stealing a $30 bottle

somethings wrong with you anon
>>
>>7795971
depends how picky you are about editions, but i imagine that you'll be able to find them all. i've only ever seen the shittily printed Where's Waldo cover edition of TCoL49 hence I haven't brought it, but you may not be so picky.
>>
>>7796005
>>7796176
Can you tell me about their offerings as far as philosophical works goes?
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 259x194
>>7792112
>being a flyover pleb
In real cities we have actual good bookstores, like half a dozen different ones on the same square.
>>
bumping this
>>
any sydneybros have a favourite book store?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.